The Student Room Group

Computer science a level?

Will this be a good choice along with biology and psychology to pursue a degree in computer science, or will I also need to do maths a level to do a computer science degree?

Many thanks
u dont need comp sci a level to do it at uni
i would recommend maths

plus the a level is slightly boring and unrealistic as to what a comp sci degree acc is
Reply 2
Some universities don’t have any specific required subjects, but many do and they will ask for A level maths. I would recommend taking maths and doing coding in your free time to demonstrate your interest in the subject while making sure you have the necessary skills to take the course at degree level as it gets more mathematical at higher levels.
I’m looking at comp sci degrees at the moment for myself. Competitive uni’s require maths, but usually no other subject. The majority recommend a computing/science based subject but don’t require. I’ll be applying with comp sci, English and history.
Do maths and comp sci alevel at least.
If possible do further maths.
(I did maths comp sci and physics and comp sci will help you a lot for uni)
If you wanna do comp sci there is really no point in doing bio or psychology, unless there is some specific thing you wanna do or if u just wanna do it for fun
(I go KCl and whilst you can get in with just comp sci a level you pretty much won't get a choice for optional modules as some are specifically all maths and some are robotics or signals and systems which have a lot of maths)

Comp sci a level will require a lot of indepent work, especially for coursework, but that is the most realistic uni experience you will get, plus you can sleep through the first half of most of your modules for the first year. Also for group projects me and the other guy who did comp sci a level did pretty much all the work coz we worked much much faster than the others and could add lots of complex features whilst also writing clean, quality, code.
(edited 3 years ago)
I can’t do maths a level unfortunately, I only got a 5 in gcse maths.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by The-judge-16
Will this be a good choice along with biology and psychology to pursue a degree in computer science, or will I also need to do maths a level to do a computer science degree?

Many thanks

Hey, you don't need Comp Sci for a degree in that. I also really wouldn't encourage doing A level Maths if it's not your strong suit. Have you considered doing a BTEC? My nephew did a BTEC in IT and got into a great undergraduate course at City University with loads of industry experience: https://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/computer-science

He's doing the Professional Pathway Scheme. He's been doing this since 1st year and he's even been earning a salary.

Honestly, courses like this are a goldmine. Ever since graduating, I cannot stress how valuable experience is. It certainly trumps your university brand or secondary school results.

As an aside, my nephew did poorly in his GCSEs because he could never focus in class, he never revised for exams and he would get bored during his own exams... Even so, the BTEC suited him because it was hands on and he got the highest grades possible and then onto an ideal degree too. :rambo:

Please don't continue to pressure yourself into doing things that you don't have an affinity for; instead, play to your strengths. If you don't know what they might be, then it's because you haven't given yourself a chance to find out (because you've been pursuing your weaknesses).

The way to succeed and find sincere contentment in life is to be kind to yourself. Don't put yourself down for not doing what others expect you to do; raise yourself up and pursue what you enjoy.

Follow your instinct. Reality isn't as cruel as you imagine it to be.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by The-judge-16
I can’t do maths a level unfortunately, I only got a 5 in gcse maths.

Comp sci alone should be fine then. But check the website coz sometimes they have requirement for maths gcse
Reply 8
I did Maths, Bio, Chem, Computer Science at AS.

Do it if it’s not with Eduqas. They’re so s***. Not enough good resources to actually support you and their official revision books all waffle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending