The Student Room Group

Can you claim universal credit and a SAAS student loan?

With the current state of the job market and the fact that I have too much to do, I was wondering if you can claim universal credit as well as a monthly SAAS loan.
Generally no.
There are certain criteria you can fall in to be eligible however.
As above, generally no, why would the taxpayer pay you TWO incomes? If you're a fulltime student you can't be looking for or available for work full time = No jobsearch UC component.
In the summer break, yes. It might be too late for you to claim now, though.
Original post by conorellis42
In the summer break, yes. It might be too late for you to claim now, though.

They get funny about that as well, as far as DWP is concerned your loan should last all year esp if you're moving from year 1 to 2 to 3 ect of the same course.

I had to be economical with the truth and say i wasn't intending to go back and was instead looking for work...and then by complete coincidence changed my mind at the last min before enrolling. Even then they pushed me a bit but I got round it.
Original post by StriderHort
They get funny about that as well, as far as DWP is concerned your loan should last all year esp if you're moving from year 1 to 2 to 3 ect of the same course.

I had to be economical with the truth and say i wasn't intending to go back and was instead looking for work...and then by complete coincidence changed my mind at the last min before enrolling. Even then they pushed me a bit but I got round it.

I'm transitioning from 3rd year to a masters, so that might be why I was eligible for claiming universal credit (as I'm transitioning between degrees and I'm in a grey area). There are of course the formalities associated with claiming this benefit (but the covid stuff has reduced it down to phone calls, so I feel more comfortable reaching out for help).
Original post by conorellis42
I'm transitioning from 3rd year to a masters, so that might be why I was eligible for claiming universal credit (as I'm transitioning between degrees and I'm in a grey area). There are of course the formalities associated with claiming this benefit (but the covid stuff has reduced it down to phone calls, so I feel more comfortable reaching out for help).

Possible, I was going from HNC to HND at a different institution which is how I got round it. My work coach at the time was on my side about it, but i've had others that get that 'I can sanction this person for targets!' gleam in their eye when the word student comes up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending