The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Applications - Official Thread 2009!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Btw I was wondering for the Eversheds applications, are you told if you have passed the verbal test? I did the numerical test and was then prompted to do the verbal and since completing it have not heard anything??
Reply 181
TommehR
Weird, I don't remember ever doing a Verbal Reasoning Test for Herbies. As the email says that it's an SHL test, the following site will explain the format and give you the chance to do a practice test:

http://www.shldirect.com/verbal.html

SHL tests are pretty common so it's good practice.

Thanks for that :smile: Really helpful.
Reply 182
TommehR
Once you've been invited to an interview, the interview will be scheduled for a month's time at the very most. Generally the interview will be arranged for a week or two after the invite. Bear in mind that it can take a long time for some firms to get back to you in the first place, so although you might only have a week between invite and interview, you might have already been waiting a month to get a reply.

Or 3 days in the case of one particular MC firm. :mad:
Reply 183
Gah... Rejected from S&M :frown: I need manly hugs (and girly ones...I guess) Bit disappointing to receive the first rejection but hopefully I can press on.

I just blitzed the hell out of the Herbies app. Luckily I had a really good commercial issue for them but its still really nerve wracking. Please give me a VS, anyone!
Reply 184
ssk2
Gah... Rejected from S&M :frown: I need manly hugs (and girly ones...I guess) Bit disappointing to receive the first rejection but hopefully I can press on.

I just blitzed the hell out of the Herbies app. Luckily I had a really good commercial issue for them but its still really nerve wracking. Please give me a VS, anyone!

Also got my first rejection from S&M today - so you can have a manly embrace from me. I don't think I'm going to send off anymore forms for winter schemes and will wait until I've either been rejected from everything or have done a scheme before moving on to doing easter ones.

You heard back from anywhere else re: tests/interviews?
Reply 185
Nah, still waiting on my other 5 apps. I'm not sure if I'll send anymore off... When are people going to start applying for TCs? I'm thinking just after Xmas, but not sure. I might do a few joint VS/TC apps.
Reply 186
ssk2
Nah, still waiting on my other 5 apps. I'm not sure if I'll send anymore off... When are people going to start applying for TCs? I'm thinking just after Xmas, but not sure. I might do a few joint VS/TC apps.
What year are you in?

EDIT: Never mind, just had a quick look and you're third year non-Law. I wouldn't get too disheartened by your S+M rejection. More than I can think of, they are real sticklers for grades. If you 'only' got 60% in your second year then I'd say that that is probably the main reason for you rejection. I really wouldn't worry though. Most other firms aren't as strict!
Reply 187
3rd and final!

(non law obviously)
I'm gonna have to have some hard skin making VS apps - the first one I'm sending off next week is the firm I like most, so it'll be a bit disheartening to get a rejection from them whilst still writing the other apps!

I've looked at some firm's websites - I know they recruit for TC's two years in advance - and their apps for TC's open around November - pretty sure that means its my time to apply :s-smilie:

I really don't want to be doing that at the same time as VS apps though! :frown:
Reply 189
*Star*Guitar*
I'm gonna have to have some hard skin making VS apps - the first one I'm sending off next week is the firm I like most, so it'll be a bit disheartening to get a rejection from them whilst still writing the other apps!

I've looked at some firm's websites - I know they recruit for TC's two years in advance - and their apps for TC's open around November - pretty sure that means its my time to apply :s-smilie:

I really don't want to be doing that at the same time as VS apps though! :frown:
The deadline for September 2011 starts (which, if you are a third year non-law student is the earliest you can start) is July 31st 2009 so you can apply any time up until then. It is perfectly acceptable to do your VS applications now, and then save your TC applications until next Summer after you've got some legal work experience.

If you look on RollOnFridaythere are countless people who applied in November/December 2007, and didn't get any response until around the July deadline so I'm not sure there is a huge advantage to applying earlier. Certainly, any advantage would be outweighed by having Vac Schemes on your application. Besides, second-year lawyers will not be applying until June/July when they've got their second-year results, so it certainly isn't necessarily to do your TC applications this early.
TommehR
The deadline for September 2011 starts (which, if you are a third year non-law student is the earliest you can start) is July 31st 2009 so you can apply any time up until then. It is perfectly acceptable to do your VS applications now, and then save your TC applications until next Summer after you've got some legal work experience.

If you look on RollOnFridaythere are countless people who applied in November/December 2007, and didn't get any response until around the July deadline so I'm not sure there is a huge advantage to applying earlier. Certainly, any advantage would be outweighed by having Vac Schemes on your application. Besides, second-year lawyers will not be applying until June/July when they've got their second-year results, so it certainly isn't necessarily to do your TC applications this early.

Phew, that makes me feel much better about it all! Thanks :smile:
Reply 191
There are a few firms (afaik, CC, FF, Bakers and A+O) who have a Feb-March-ish TC deadline for non-lawyers.
Just got rejected from the A&O vac scheme. :frown:

Not the end of the world - although now it's time to fill in more app forms!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
red_card82
Just got rejected from the A&O vac scheme. :frown:

Not the end of the world - although now it's time to fill in more app forms!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can I ask how soon you heard from them after applying?
I received a confirmation as soon as i submitted my app and I just received the rejection email this morning (i submitted my application on the 6th of Oct, so thats about 18 days)
red_card82
I received a confirmation as soon as i submitted my app and I just received the rejection email this morning (i submitted my application on the 6th of Oct, so thats about 18 days)

Thanks. I've heard of a few people in the past getting rejections within hours or a day, confirming my suspicion of filters.
Hmmm - well i suppose what i can take from it is that my application was at the least considered. But with so much competition just didn't make it to the end....:rolleyes:
Yep, 18 days is reasonable, A&O is mad competitive, I'm sure something good will come along.
Reply 198
I got rejected from CMS Cameron McKenna :frown: . It's a bit disheartening as it's the first firm that got back to me, but I'm trying to get over it - still have lots of other firms to apply to!
Reply 199
I think today must be the day that a lot of law firms are getting back to people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending