The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Applications - Official Thread 2009!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Gosha
Thanks and congrats on progressing further :smile: Actually what I find the most stressful at the moment isn't the interview itself but booking a time slot. There are none available online - so I sent an e-mail to the technical support (as teh FAQ sections instructs to) but have not heard from them since last week. I will probably send another e-mail to the graduate recruitment tomorrow.

That does sound stressful. I've not been able to book myself in for an assessment centre because i'm currently on my year abroad and get out of France for when they wanted me to the centre. I sent an email to graduate recruitment and heard back about 2 days later. Not all that helpful though. I have to keep checking the website for when new dates become available in December and January. It's December tomorrow....!

Good luck for when you do have it. At least it's giving you time to collect your thoughts!
Reply 381
Herbie198
That does sound stressful. I've not been able to book myself in for an assessment centre because i'm currently on my year abroad and get out of France for when they wanted me to the centre. I sent an email to graduate recruitment and heard back about 2 days later. Not all that helpful though. I have to keep checking the website for when new dates become available in December and January. It's December tomorrow....!

Good luck for when you do have it. At least it's giving you time to collect your thoughts!

Well I have so many essays to write now that I have no time for anything related to my applications :s-smilie: . But I'm starting again tomorrow evening - my interview is on Tuesda in the end - they replied relatively soon after my e-mail, so all is good now.:smile:
Reply 382
TommehR

A very, very wise choice. It's a well-kept secret that Ashurst is the best and most powerful firm in the City and that the Magic Circle are merely small departments of the firm, full of undesirables not considered worthy of entering the hallowed temple on Appold Street. It's said that 90% of all turnover in the City is attributable to Ashurst, and that such is its influence that other large City firms pay over 50% of their profits to The Big A for fear that otherwise they will be crushed. Rumour has it that the day before Lehman Brothers collapsed, that bank had missed the deadline for paying its legal bills by thirty seconds...*

:wink:

LMAO!
Its true... undesirables such as myself were flatlydenied entry to said temple upon application. We are now destined to languish in the less hallowed and more dingy magic circle departments of this prestigious firm. :p:
Reply 383
Happy1
LMAO!
Its true... undesirables such as myself were flatlydenied entry to said temple upon application. We are now destined to languish in the less hallowed and more dingy magic circle departments of this prestigious firm. :p:
We dump the even less desirable A&Oers in the Canary Wharf office. You better watch out. :p:
Reply 384
don't you just hate it when the crapness of HR really puts you off a firm and yet you still desperately want them to give you a vs?!?!?!
Reply 385
Tasha-twi
don't you just hate it when the crapness of HR really puts you off a firm and yet you still desperately want them to give you a vs?!?!?!
It's even worse when you hate one of your Vac Schemes but still apply there for fear that everywhere else might reject you for a TC. :p:
Reply 386
Tasha-twi

Yep! I applied to Macfarlanes on 5th November and I've still not heard a peep.

I know someone who applied for the a TC last year and heard nothing for 4 months only to be given a rejection. Which i was always suspicious of because he got an interview for every other application he made and got a TC with Freshfields.
Reply 387
I have friends who applied for Vac Schemes in November last year and still haven't heard back!
Reply 388
I applied to Travers Smith 2 months ago today. nooo word. I emailed them and said shall I take your lack of response as a rejection and they said my application was 'still being processed'... yeh right!
Reply 389
How's everybody doing with their summer applications? Mine are driving me mad, they're so long, and feeling like I have no chance anyway!

So far I've applied to Halliwells, Pannone, Pinsent Masons, Eversheds (took all of two seconds :tongue:), and Hill Dickinson.

Got loads more still to do- joy!

xxx
Reply 390
Tasha-twi
I applied to Travers Smith 2 months ago today. nooo word. I emailed them and said shall I take your lack of response as a rejection and they said my application was 'still being processed'... yeh right!

Sorry but Travers Smith are terrible when it comes to organisation and HR.

I applied for a TC early this July and heard nothing from them for the whole summer. I then accepted a TC in early september, from a firm that I applied to on the same day as TS and had been interviewed by in early september.

I recieved an email in mid-september inviting me to for a first round interview. Up til them I'd had 2 months of silence!
I emailed back with a polite reply stating that I had already accepted another TC as I had assumed that I wouldnt hear from them.

Later that day, I recieved a phonecall from Travers' HR, saying they'd like to address the concerns I'd raised in my email (I didnt raise any concerns, I just told them I'd already accepted another one as they'd invited me for interview too late). I wasnt rude in my email - in fact I went out of my way to be polite... so the HR call was confusing and a bit awkward! lol.
The lady who phoned me told me taht they dont interview anyone for a TC until september which is why they hadnt yet got back to me... but i knew this wasnt true as a friend had already been interviewed, and I also suggested that they let people know that they'd been offered an interview earlier, or they'd lose the chance at more good candidates.
They were clearly just making excuses.

They didnt seem particularly organised, and I do feel that I was phoned purely because they wanted to mitigate damage that I might do to their reputation by psting my experience on boards like this, or telling my friends at uni etc.
That or they were annoyed at me and wanted to make me feel awkward. Either way not great is it!? lol.
Reply 391
Its not as though they are my favourite firm or anything like that. Out of all the places I applied to for vs's they are probably my least favourite. I just don't know why they have to lie to me about it! the scheme starts in less than a week and they haven't been bothered to reject me yet. I just think its so rude when people take the time to write them an application and show interest in them! I absolutely won't be applying for a tc there!
Reply 392
Tasha-twi
Its not as though they are my favourite firm or anything like that. Out of all the places I applied to for vs's they are probably my least favourite. I just don't know why they have to lie to me about it! the scheme starts in less than a week and they haven't been bothered to reject me yet. I just think its so rude when people take the time to write them an application and show interest in them! I absolutely won't be applying for a tc there!

That certainly doesn't do their reputation any good.

I emailed Macfarlanes askign if they were able to update me on the status of my application since at the beginning of November they told me i'd be informed "shortly". Got a response saying it would be processed "within the next few weeks" and that they apologised for the delay. Hmm.... Not impressive at all.
Still nothing from any firm. Its been two days since I applied to Allen and Overy, a week since Baker and McKenzie and 3 weeks since I applied to HS!!! God I really want to get Cleary Gottlieb though.... *sigh* spoke to one of their trainees it was amazing. And they application process is the simplest lol!
I applied to one a month ago, not heard anything. Need to get a move on with the other 3 I'm thinking of applying to.
Reply 395
Had my first rejection today from eversheds, not too bothered tbh (although my bely flipped a bit when I saw "unsuccessful" in the email subject matter :tongue:

Quite relieved that I don't have to do the maths test..

Good luck to all those waiting to hear from firms!xx
smoothie
Had my first rejection today from eversheds, not too bothered tbh (although my bely flipped a bit when I saw "unsuccessful" in the email subject matter :tongue:

Does that mean Eversheds use automatic procedures? I'm guessing so as I just applied at 3.30am British time and got an email at 3.31 asking me to do the maths test. I don't understand what they could use for automatic procedures though as the form asks for so little, no breakdowns, nothing. Seems a bit harsh. Anyone else applied?
Reply 397
leannemarie
Does that mean Eversheds use automatic procedures? I'm guessing so as I just applied at 3.30am British time and got an email at 3.31 asking me to do the maths test. I don't understand what they could use for automatic procedures though as the form asks for so little, no breakdowns, nothing. Seems a bit harsh. Anyone else applied?

I applied to Eversheds and got an email pretty quickly asking me to do the maths test. I had assumed everyone had to do it.
How long is everyone's cover letter? I think mine is too long :s-smilie:
smoothie

Sounds like an autofilter if other people are being asked to take the numerical so soon after submitting, surely studying law at Manchester would exempt you from any autofilter as you're grades are likely to be at least ABB etc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending