The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Applications - Official Thread 2009!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
oh, and if you're doing online tests maybe do some practice ones so you can make sure you do well in those.
Reply 581
punkrockisfreedom
well apparently not enough... i do a lot of debating, am editor for 2 magazines and am also on the committee for a couple of societies, i really can't understand why i am not at least getting interviews

As I said in relation to JCB's post, if you have an excellent academic record, are doing well at Oxbridge and have some interesting extra-currics then you're failing on your form.

Common errors are:

- Spelling/grammar mistakes. Petty as it may seem, these can be the kiss of death
- Failing to adequately explain why you want to be a lawyer
- Failing to adequately explain why you want to work in the commercial field
- Failing to identify why you want to work for Firm X
- Failing to clearly identify what skills/abilities you have developed through your extra-curricular activities.
Reply 582
law@leics
You got rejected from A&O eventhough you've got10 A*s at GCSE, 5 As at A level and studying at Cambridge? Have you not done any work experience or extra-curricular activities?

Remember that Oxbridge is not a ticket to a job/VS/internship! Ok, some may argue it makes it easier but many people there can fail to secure all these things... And i know some at oxbridge who've even failed to pass first year so they're not as likely to secure VSs!
Reply 583
law@leics
I know. But say one has a first in their first year at Cambridge, 10 A* at GCSEs, AAAAA at A-Level, a lot of debating experience, an editor for 2 magazines and also on the committee for a couple of societies. I would've thought an interview would be offered at least. However, I think the only thing that may have gone wrong is how the applicant sold him/herself on his/her application. I am just worried what hope I will have to be honest.

Well perhaps that goes to show you that you may well stand a good chance! I have been led to understand that the key part to the application is how you answer their questions. I.E. why law, why X firm, when have you worked well in a team etc. Get those down well and you stand a good chance of an interview, no matter what university you go to!

Good luck!
jcb914
:ditto:

My comment was directed at all the 2nd year Cambridge Law students on here having troubles.
got invited for an interview today by dechert!! :smile:
Reply 586
angel_with_horns
Thank you sweetheart, but guess what? I don't give a flying f*** for what you have to say, so why don't you stop being a sad little arse on the internet and maybe go try to get some sort of a life? Putting people down here isn't going to give you much, apart from a reputation of a saddo. Now go die under a rock, as its clear that will eventually be your fate anyway. Why delay things? Much love. Oh and thanks for the neg rep, I was getting too much positive, but I want red gems. So neg rep me some more next time. xoxo.

Well, firstly I didn't 'neg rep' you - it's a pretty pointless system.

Secondly I didn't mean to offend you (although perhaps I was rather direct).

Having said that, my point does stand. Law is about words and if you feel you have no chance of passing a verbal reasoning test it does raise questions about your ability to be a lawyer...

Doesn't it?

If you disagree feel free to do so, but try to make it a little less personal next time (not least because I have very little intention of dying soon... under a rock or otherwise).

:smile:
Reply 587
Epicurus
My comment was directed at all the 2nd year Cambridge Law students on here having troubles.

well i dont feel sry for them over anyone else. Its not like they deserve one over the rest of us. I feel sorry for anyone applying this year thats finding it difficult but unfortunately we cant do anything about it!
i feel sorry for the people studying law who are finding it even tougher this year by others applying to the legal sector just because their area of career is in collapse. As soon as the market reverberates they will bugger off again yet we actually want to make a life long career out of law.:rolleyes:
Reply 589
Erm.... not just people studying law have a genuine desire to practice the law.
Rejection from Baker and McKenzie. Oh well. Freshfields test won't load.
Reply 591
ssk2

:yep: agreed
Rejection from Baker and McKenzie. Oh well. Freshfields test won't load.

HR work on Christmas Eve??!
Herbie198
I know i'm replying to this quite late but i only just noticed your post. I have an interview with Mayer Brown too. Not sure what to expect but c'est la vie. I'll just do the usual preparation i suppose. When's yours? I'm going on 11th February because i'll be in France for the January interviews. Hope that's not leaving it late with the rolling process. Only time will tell i guess..

Just do a telephone interview; am living in France this year and have one with MB early Jan. (Also has the added advantage of avoiding any written tests)
Reply 594
ssk2

agreed
Reply 595
prince of persia
Just do a telephone interview; am living in France this year and have one with MB early Jan. (Also has the added advantage of avoiding any written tests)

Thank you. Hadn't thought of that one! Although i'm back at the end of January for a few months anyway so it's quite easy for me to make the Feb slot.

And as far as i'm aware Mayer Brown only do a written test for the TC interview not the VS.
Noctilux
Well, firstly I didn't 'neg rep' you - it's a pretty pointless system.

Secondly I didn't mean to offend you (although perhaps I was rather direct).

Having said that, my point does stand. Law is about words and if you feel you have no chance of passing a verbal reasoning test it does raise questions about your ability to be a lawyer...

Doesn't it?

If you disagree feel free to do so, but try to make it a little less personal next time (not least because I have very little intention of dying soon... under a rock or otherwise).

:smile:

well to be fair, those verbal reasoning tests aren't very indicative. i mean a lot of the time i find that you can make a case for both false or need more information
i want to apply to bird&bird which obv focuses on ip. no particular reason for this, it just sounds kinda interesting. how do i profess an interest in this area if iv never studied ip before??
Reply 598
thats_my_poison
i want to apply to bird&bird which obv focuses on ip. no particular reason for this, it just sounds kinda interesting. how do i profess an interest in this area if iv never studied ip before??

Cause and effect. You're interested in IP.... what is the cause (or origin) of this interest? If it's literally 'it sounds cool from the name' you should do a little more research. What is your academic background? If you did English or Music you could talk about an interest in the IP rights to works of literature or music for example. It's got to sound authentic anyway!
Just realized my Linklaters application has about 7 typos. Oh well! :p: Maybe they won't notice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending