The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Applications - Official Thread 2009!

Scroll to see replies

blinkbelle
Just had my telephone interview with BLP, it went well but I didn't get it! I don't think I'm too bothered though because she gave me some feedback at the end which was actually pretty positive! She just highlighted one question which was a problem.

Literally 5mins after I got off the phone to BLP I received a telephone call from Withers inviting me to interview on the 3rd of Feb! Woohoo! :smile: xxx

Were you told at the end? What question did you stumble on? I had mine too today and she said they would get back in a few days!!!?? ahhh
lawyer_manc
Were you told at the end? What question did you stumble on? I had mine too today and she said they would get back in a few days!!!?? ahhh

Basically she said that because she liked me, and I was an otherwise 'exceptional applicant', she'd break the no-feedback rule and tell me there and then.
I was asked what I thought was meant by 'The City' and I had a bit of a crappy answer. She said I needed to be more precise, speaking about 'The City', not London in general, and I need to have accurate and believable reasons for wanting to work in The City for my future applications.
I'm actually not very suprised, as working in The City doesn't really appeal to me! But I'm going to work on it :smile: xxx
Reply 982
mercexe
Anyone had their Freshfields interview yet? I'm soooo nervous.

I'm nervous too! When's yours?
Reply 983
punkrockisfreedom
Woo interview from weil! It's my first (and only) one so i am a bit terrified - any tips would be greatly appreciated...

me too :smile:
Reply 984
mercexe
PS - anyone heard back from Skadden or Covington??

I havent heard back from Skadden yet. I'd LOVE to work there but I don't think its ever going to happen lol. The history of the firm is just incredible!
Reply 985
Tasha-twi
I havent heard back from Skadden yet. I'd LOVE to work there but I don't think its ever going to happen lol. The history of the firm is just incredible!
Have you ever read 'The Firm' by John Grisham? :wink:
Reply 986
TommehR
Have you ever read 'The Firm' by John Grisham? :wink:

I know this is random but I actually love John Grisham. The Broker is pretty good too.

I have the film of The Firm as well... Tom Cruise is pretty hot too :p:
Reply 987
Hey
does anyone know how well you have to do on the CC verbal reasoning test in order to pass?

thanks
Reply 988
lottie12
I know this is random but I actually love John Grisham. The Broker is pretty good too.

I have the film of The Firm as well... Tom Cruise is pretty hot too :p:

Worst. Film. EVER! :p:
What date have you all chosen for Linklaters summer scheme?

I'm going on the later July/ August scheme, as I'm at another firm in june/july- can't wait for the summer!
Reply 990
Congratulations! you're a lucky person!
early summer - can't remember exactly.
Did they get back to you immediately? Do you have any idea how it works if they didnt get back to you yet?
I don't have any idea about how they get back to you if it is not a Yes! I got a call that evening, but a friend of mine got a call to say he had succeeded two days later- so I guess it varies a bit.

Where are you going to stay when doing placements?

My parents have an empty new apartment in London (3 bed), 30 minute commute to the City, and so I'm going to try and advertise some rooms (cheaper than student halls... and with very good facilities). Do you know where I can advertise on a forum without being banned?
Reply 992
so did you get an offer after all or not? (sorry to ask)
by when did they let you know and how?
Ive been hearing a lot that the commercial awareness part is the most crucial re: Links!
Reply 993
ssk2
Worst. Film. EVER! :p:

Pftttt. What do you know! :p:
I obtained an 'exceptional' in my test... :wink: I did do 'Critical thinking' as an extra at A-level though and so had had the Watson Glaser test analysed before me during my last two years of upper-school.

Michaels right that commercial awareness is incredibly important at Linklaters. You really need to ‘wow’ the partner, blow her away, and demonstrate that you are exceptional in whatever commercial area you decide to tell her about (I chose a very obscure Private Equity issue I am interested in). If you have enough confidence (and practice) you will find that you can control the interview and direct the interviewer to talk about what you want to talk about, rather than what they had planned and prepared.
Reply 995
lottie12
Pftttt. What do you know! :p:

I know that the piano music during the 'chase' scene over that bridge with the steamboat was awful! :biggrin:

I feel bad though that everyone else is talking about their fancy VS placements in summer, when a) some of my choices haven't even OPENED yet and b) I want to work for a firm outside of London and everyone else is going for the big City lifestyle. Think we should start a VS app thread for regional and national firms?! Ha!
Dino_lawyer
I obtained an 'exceptional' in my test... :wink: I did do 'Critical thinking' as an extra at A-level though and so had had the Watson Glaser test analysed before me during my last two years of upper-school.

Michaels right that commercial awareness is incredibly important at Linklaters. You really need to ‘wow’ the partner, blow her away, and demonstrate that you are exceptional in whatever commercial area you decide to tell her about (I chose a very obscure Private Equity issue I am interested in). If you have enough confidence (and practice) you will find that you can control the interview and direct the interviewer to talk about what you want to talk about, rather than what they had planned and prepared.

just out of curiosity, how long did links give you to get back to them as to whether or not you're accepting their vac scheme offer?
Reply 997
Michael_reject
I'm on the june-july

some advice, impress the partner with commercial awareness.My feedback was that the HR lady was against me but the partner stood up for me. I also received an 'average' in my test :s-smilie:

Sorry to be annoying but you didnt tell me - did you get an offer at the end (ur storys got a lot of suspense :P)
Do you know how long it takes them to get back to you? (and what about rejections if you know anyone rejected?)
SORRY for asking AGAIN !!! (just a stressed out person :eek3: )
got rejected from blp :frown:
such depressed right now, i wasnt even that keen on the firm but i really felt like id done well and it's so demoralising to think that i cant even pass a 1st round phone interest. how the hell will i ever pass a real interview? i feel like i should stop even hoping for a vac scheme now :frown:
Reply 999
thats_my_poison
got rejected from blp :frown:
such depressed right now, i wasnt even that keen on the firm but i really felt like id done well and it's so demoralising to think that i cant even pass a 1st round phone interest. how the hell will i ever pass a real interview? i feel like i should stop even hoping for a vac scheme now :frown:

the fact that you were not very keen probably had something to do with it. and dont feel bad even the best get rejected, it makes you more determined

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending