The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Applications - Official Thread 2009!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
angel_with_horns
Interview with CC tomorrow, any advice? What kind of questions do they ask and also, on the competency, do I expand on examples from my application form or come up with new ones?

They didn't really ask me any competency questions that were phrased like the ones on the apps - just basically things like talking about roles of responsibility and i talked about teamwork probably about 10000 times lol...

They asked me mostly stuff about myself and why I chose my subjects, course, uni, law. Average stuff really - they didn't ask me anything really difficult.

Good luck with it!!
Mine was stressful getting to considering my 4hr journey turned into 5hrs and my train got to the station at 3.12 when my interview was 3.15 ... lol!
I'm 2nd year non-law, from reading a bit of this thread it seems that VSs are all for final year non-law or penultimate year law? is that right? are there any firms offering a VS for non-law penultimate year? Even if there is I know I've left it really late, so can anyone suggest what I could do this summer apart from paid vacation shemes to boost my application for next year? thankyou soooo much for any answers.
RosiRox
They didn't really ask me any competency questions that were phrased like the ones on the apps - just basically things like talking about roles of responsibility and i talked about teamwork probably about 10000 times lol...

They asked me mostly stuff about myself and why I chose my subjects, course, uni, law. Average stuff really - they didn't ask me anything really difficult.

Good luck with it!!
Mine was stressful getting to considering my 4hr journey turned into 5hrs and my train got to the station at 3.12 when my interview was 3.15 ... lol!

Thanks for the advice! Was the verbal reasoning test harder than the online one??
Been a while since I looked in on this site... kinda wish I'd kept away now!

I've been rather selective with my VS applications - having said that, I've sent 10... and I've only received one interview with three rejections - the rest are yet to reply...

I have to say the sheer volume of interviews some of you have had - your strike rates - very impressive but it leaves me feeling very, very despondent.

I quit the fire service in September after almost 16 years to go full time; it hasn't been an easy 3 or 4 months by any means... and scrolling through a selection of the last 60 pages... well... I think things are a bout to get a whole lot tougher!

Still... well done to you all, I'm very envious!
Reply 1184
never_ending
I'm 2nd year non-law, from reading a bit of this thread it seems that VSs are all for final year non-law or penultimate year law? is that right? are there any firms offering a VS for non-law penultimate year? Even if there is I know I've left it really late, so can anyone suggest what I could do this summer apart from paid vacation shemes to boost my application for next year? thankyou soooo much for any answers.

Hey,
I have 3 non-law second year friends who have got vac schemes with Slaughters, Jones Day and Freshfields so i think the big firms do still take 2nd year non-law students even if they say they prefer 2nd year law/3rd year non law. And it's not too late! Bristows, McFarlanes, Dechert etc deadlines aren't until 28th Feb and in house legal teams for Pricewaterhouse for example aren't until 31st March, so your best bet is to try them. If not i would travel or do some volunteering work as in my interviews with Linklaters and Lovells they really focused on that.
lawyer_manc
if you felt like crying why did you give it up? especially since you havent heard back from two firms.

I only felt like crying because I don't like giving reasons as the thought of being blacklisted terrifies me immensely - get worried about whether I made the right choice etc. I got into slaughters but decided to accept A&O. Just waiting on FF now. I guess if I don't get FF then have to go to the Bakers interview. I am hating this app scheme stuff! So stressful! Good luck with everthing.
Reply 1186
providence
I only felt like crying because I don't like giving reasons as the thought of being blacklisted terrifies me immensely - get worried about whether I made the right choice etc. I got into slaughters but decided to accept A&O. Just waiting on FF now. I guess if I don't get FF then have to go to the Bakers interview. I am hating this app scheme stuff! So stressful! Good luck with everthing.

So you got Slaughters in the end, congrats :smile: Shame you're not accepting! Anyway, do you know if they spoke to your referee?

On a different note - my tutor got an e-mail asking for my reference yesterday but unfortunately didn't remember the name of he firm. But it wasn't Slaughters, so maybe (hopefully) it may be a sign of another interview coming up :smile:
Reply 1187
Does anyone else come out of interviews having absolutely no idea how they went? I prepared some really good answers and there were so many opportunities for me to illustrate my skills and research, but instead I just spouted made-on-the-spot crappy answers and forget everything I had prepared. :frown:
jcb914
Does anyone else come out of interviews having absolutely no idea how they went? I prepared some really good answers and there were so many opportunities for me to illustrate my skills and research, but instead I just spouted made-on-the-spot crappy answers and forget everything I had prepared. :frown:

Know the feeling there! I was made to feel so uncoomfortable in my last one I forgot everything I wanted to say. My theory is that if I felt uncomfy in the interview they're not the firm for me.
anyone know how long linklaters take to get back to you with an offer? I had an interview there on monday...
britishgirl n17
anyone know how long linklaters take to get back to you with an offer? I had an interview there on monday...

did you just repeat yourself?

from that evening - 2 weeks. it all depends.
Reply 1191
jcb914

Ah it probably sounds better because it doesn't seem that rehearsed.
Also you probably said a load of good stuff that you don't remember! I always get 'interview amnesia' where I have no idea what Qs I was asked or what I said in response lol...

never_ending

I'm 2nd year non-law too! I just applied to the firms I wanted to go to and some of them have been offering things to 2nd years and some haven't. But there are definitely ones you can do - some graduate people said to apply as soon as you want [instead of waiting for 3rd year] because if you're ready to do it then they're ready to have you!
Reply 1192
I did the CC Winter Workshop in December and applied for the TC, have my interview on Monday, i'm basically thinking of cramming over the next week, reading economist, FT etc and going over my life with a comb trying to spin everything to fit the Q's I think may come up, anyone with any other suggestions?things i should read?should know?really nervous! I heard of one girl getting asked 'If you were Gordon Brown what would you do?', does this mean some politics cramming 2?????Suggestions for prep would REALLY be appreciated as I'm new to the game! Thanks alot!
Reply 1193
RobDarcy
I did the CC Winter Workshop in December and applied for the TC, have my interview on Monday, i'm basically thinking of cramming over the next week, reading economist, FT etc and going over my life with a comb trying to spin everything to fit the Q's I think may come up, anyone with any other suggestions?things i should read?should know?really nervous! I heard of one girl getting asked 'If you were Gordon Brown what would you do?', does this mean some politics cramming 2?????Suggestions for prep would REALLY be appreciated as I'm new to the game! Thanks alot!

Well even if you're 'new to the game' (which I think we all are to an extent...) you're certainly not bad at it! You're doing fine to be honest, I wouldn't stress tooo much over reading both the Economist AND the FT, the Economist is probably fine. Other than that, the Brown question is probably just related to the economicsy bits he's been 'playing' with recently, I'm sure your FT and Economist reading has you up to speed with that! Good luck anyway, always like to see people do well :smile:

On a personal level, I had my MB interview today. No idea how it went though... I'd like to say quite well, but it seemed fairly short (only 35 mins...)
Had did your MB go ssk2? Was it just a friendly chat? Or was there a grilling on commercial awareness etc?

Jess :smile:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 1195
ssk2
Well even if you're 'new to the game' (which I think we all are to an extent...) you're certainly not bad at it! You're doing fine to be honest, I wouldn't stress tooo much over reading both the Economist AND the FT, the Economist is probably fine. Other than that, the Brown question is probably just related to the economicsy bits he's been 'playing' with recently, I'm sure your FT and Economist reading has you up to speed with that! Good luck anyway, always like to see people do well :smile:

On a personal level, I had my MB interview today. No idea how it went though... I'd like to say quite well, but it seemed fairly short (only 35 mins...)

I'm sure you will have done well!
Was it just an interview about yourself/why law kinda thing or was there any case study/commercial Q element?

Also - was the interview all there was? Ie. you were only there for 35mins? - need to book trains lol
Does anyone remember me saying about my Eversheds test? Basically, I did the test, but it didn't ever send the results. Well, I sent them an e-mail about it and they just never got back me. This was in September/October btw.

Then today I got an e-mail saying you still haven't completed your online test. And I was just like, whattt?

It's taken them what... 3-4 months to get back to me.. and even then it seems like it was just some automated e-mail.
Reply 1197
lottie12
Does anyone remember me saying about my Eversheds test? Basically, I did the test, but it didn't ever send the results. Well, I sent them an e-mail about it and they just never got back me. This was in September/October btw.

Then today I got an e-mail saying you still haven't completed your online test. And I was just like, whattt?

It's taken them what... 3-4 months to get back to me.. and even then it seems like it was just some automated e-mail.

Eversheds are absolutely useless. Don't even get me started; their graduate recruitment needs a serious shake up.
jcb914
Eversheds are absolutely useless. Don't even get me started; their graduate recruitment needs a serious shake up.

No I agree completely. This waiting around to hear back from them has really put me off the firm to be honest. I don't even know anyone that has passed the two online tests and been invited to an interview, so I'm wondering whether to even bother.
lottie12

I'd just forget about Eversheds to be honest. I have absolutely no idea what they think they're doing with their Graduate Recruitment practices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending