The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Applications - Official Thread 2009!

Scroll to see replies

Were you successful man? Easter or summer?

I disagree about the letting someone down question. I mentioned an occasion when I had (nothing MAJOR) and then how I'd learned from my mistake and how it had made me a much better person. GR seemed to like it...

Yep, I got an offer for summer.

Undecided as to whether to take it. Really liked the firm, but the dates clash with Latham&Watkins VC, so I'm trying to move Mayer Brown to Easter. If that isn't possible, I guess I'll chose Latham over MB.
Anyone else got invited to the Bird and Bird AC? x
Just had my DLA interview - I think it went really well! I was so relaxed and comfortable there!
Now for the waiting game... xx
I have been invtied to a DLA assessment centre (on Tuesday).

However, it says specifically on the email that I will not be individually interviewed?

Jess xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
slanted_and_enchanted
I have been invtied to a DLA assessment centre (on Tuesday).

However, it says specifically on the email that I will not be individually interviewed?

Jess xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Have you applied to Birmingham or London? Cause if so there's a 2 stage application process - assessment centre and interview.
I applied to a regional office so its just one interview :smile:
Good luck! xxx
I'm off to London for the AC, then would have to be back again for the ruddy interview. Massive hassle.
I applied to Brum!

I'm confused :frown:!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dalianatkinson
I'm off to London for the AC, then would have to be back again for the ruddy interview. Massive hassle.

I know what you mean, I'm having to do two trips for Taylor Wessing, in the space of 3 days! But at least you reached this stage, I bet there's dozens of people who wish they had this hassle!

slanted_and_enchanted
I applied to Brum!

I'm confused :frown:!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why confused? Birmingham & London = AC & Interview
Anywhere else = interview only
:smile: xx
blinkbelle
I know what you mean, I'm having to do two trips for Taylor Wessing, in the space of 3 days! But at least you reached this stage, I bet there's dozens of people who wish they had this hassle!

Too bloody right. I wouldn't be complaining. :mad:
Sorry. Just traveling from Scotland and all makes it quite a hassle. (Over nighters etc, and 5 hrs each way)
Reply 1590
Redeyejedi
Mayer Brown...

- Totally CV and competency based. One question to watch out for which I know a few people got, was, "When have you worked in a team where you let someone down." Just be prepared for that one as its quite tricky. My response "never."

Also

- Why Mayer Brown?
- Why Law?

Overall: Relatively unchallenging.

Good Luck. Really nothing to get worried about.

Oh and they let you know about 45mins-1hr after the interview whether you are successful.

ahhh you find out so soon! I mean obviously it's fine if it's good news but when you've still got enough few hours to kill on the train lol..

I've not actually had any competency interviews yet so that will be interesting. That question would be quite horrible as I can't actually think of one off hand but then wouldn't want to sound like I was trying to just give the right answer by saying never..hmmm

Also, for a person who is rubbish at london travelling. Do you know how long it takes to get from kings cross to MB?
Reply 1591
All of you who are complaining about too much hassle, wondering whether you should decline offers etc - are you all from Oxbridge?
Reply 1592
fishface
All of you who are complaining about too much hassle, wondering whether you should decline offers etc - are you all from Oxbridge?

Ha, I'm from Cambridge and I have NO offers yet :frown:

And apparently Slaughter's are positively discriminating AGAINST Oxbridge applicants.

TBH, I don't think it makes much difference which uni you go to (as it should be). As long as it's top-10ish it doesn't really matter. Your grades, work experience and ECs are probably more valuable.
RosiRox

Also, for a person who is rubbish at london travelling. Do you know how long it takes to get from kings cross to MB?

I recommend going on the transport for london website and using their online journey planner (you can get the postcode of the firm from their website) :smile: that'll tell you where the nearest tube station is and roughly how long you should expect to be travelling for!
When booking your train tickets make sure you allow plenty of time to get from station to firm, with some spare time in case of delays, in case you get lost, to chill out and maybe a bite to eat?
xxx
fishface

Not sure if this includes me (I wasn't complaining really!) but I'm from Leicester Uni :smile: xx
jcb914

TBH, I don't think it makes much difference which uni you go to (as it should be). As long as it's top-10ish it doesn't really matter.

Great :rolleyes:
I am yeah. All Souls.
*Star*Guitar*
Great :rolleyes:

It is annoying, but the prestige of a Uni and its ranking nationally is something that would-be commercial lawyers should (apparantly, according to GR) have in their minds when they're choosing a Uni.
I think their mindset is; if you think you're good enough to apply to us, you should have great A Levels. If you have those, why didn't you go to (what we think) is a great Uni.

Sadly, I think this is the way. xxx
Reply 1598
I thought they were only discriminating against me! I'm at LSE but, so far, only rejections. I did send my applications at the last minute though. I thought I might send a few more but beginning to feel there is some sort of fatal flaw in my application that gets it turfed out (but only after they have kept it for a fairly long time - the rejections are not immediate). Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.
fishface
I thought they were only discriminating against me! I'm at LSE but, so far, only rejections. I did send my applications at the last minute though. I thought I might send a few more but beginning to feel there is some sort of fatal flaw in my application that gets it turfed out (but only after they have kept it for a fairly long time - the rejections are not immediate). Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure some firms have a high opinion of LSE - I've just been doing some research on mid-sized City firms and alot of their associate/trainee profiles are of LSE grads!
I don't mean to patronise, but perhaps you're not quite tailoring your answer to the Q to the specific Q they're asking you? Maybe take an application to your careers service and see what they make of it? xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending