The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Applications - Official Thread 2009!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Sorry Orchida - didn't see your post there, page must have timed out! I went to the open day last friday too, but I know they're running another this friday, so perhaps they're waiting to screen everyone from there too!
Reply 1781
yeah maybe it will be sometime next week then. argh just wish they'd tell us at least WHEN we'll hear so i can stop manically checking my emails every 5 mins!
Reply 1782
Yeah, I know what you mean. Did you apply anywhere else in Bristol?
I got an interview at Cobbetts too! (also for easter scheme, although I put down both easter and summer). Mine's in manc.

Can't see any tips or anything on the wikijobs site, eeek.

Has anyone here had an interview at Cobbetts before?

I need to buy a suit too....

xxx
lottie12
It's hard to know what firms are looking for and sadly, I might not be that.

I think you're that! Don't give up!!! xxx
lottie12
Well done!!!

Me tooo! I actually screamed with excitement when I read the e-mail (how lame!!) I'm so pleased though. Which office?

I'd forgot that I had picked an Easter Vac Scheme as well as the Summer one for Cobbetts. I got all confused when it said "Thank you for you application for the Easter Vacation Scheme." Hehe.

Well done!! :biggrin: xxx
carpboy
Cobbetts interview!!! first one!!!!:smile: :biggrin: :biggrin:

congratulations on your interview! got cobbetts assessment centre, yay!!! :smile: sorry, very excited cos after starting applying to firms in July, it's also my first interview/assessment centre! where is yours? mine's in manchester!
smoothie
I got an interview at Cobbetts too! (also for easter scheme, although I put down both easter and summer). Mine's in manc.

Can't see any tips or anything on the wikijobs site, eeek.

Has anyone here had an interview at Cobbetts before?

I need to buy a suit too....

xxx

congratulations on your interview! oooh, mine's in Manchester too, might see you there! I also put down both easter and summer! what slot have you picked? I might be brave and ask on rof for tips!
lottie12
Well done!!!

Me tooo! I actually screamed with excitement when I read the e-mail (how lame!!) I'm so pleased though. Which office?

I'd forgot that I had picked an Easter Vac Scheme as well as the Summer one for Cobbetts. I got all confused when it said "Thank you for you application for the Easter Vacation Scheme." Hehe.

congratulations Lottie! Where is yours? Mine's In Manchester! Am very pleased, never been to an assessment centre before though, scary! also pcicked Easter and Summer Vac Schemes (mainly cos summer vac scheme assessment dates are in the middle of my exams!)
Reply 1789
squeezeevans
I'm a graduate, who has had a vacation scheme with CC in my 2nd year summer, and having experienced that, amongst other things, decided that a MC firm wasn't for me. I have since then been spending a lot of time and effort into mapping out a route into law that suits me as an individual better and have gained a lot of experience and insight on the way.

Did you not enjoy CC? What changed your mind?

tony_ron
I noticed that! Some people just seem to slide casually into an enormous number of vac scheme offers from loads of top firms. The only ones I seem to do any good at are ones that have no kind of assessment centre or commercial exercise and just discuss you CV lol. My Jones Day interview talked about the challenges of horse-riding because the interviewer had a horse, and my Stephenson Harwood interviewer lived fairly near me originally and her brother was a chicken farmer, so she was quite interested in my pet goose Janet. Utter madness.

Your last interview sounds soo funny! See...they ARE humans! They have chicken farming brothers and everything...

For me, I've had offer from one with verbal reasoning test/case study and rejection from CV-based one so I'm assuming I'm better at the first one although honestly I am actually a nice people and not hideous to talk to!!

The main thing that they look for though is whether they would be prepared to share an office with the person. I'm not the kind of person who would ever make a big deal of myself due to my grades or university but I've found that people who get good grades are often arrogant/rude etc. and this is just not what you want to put in front of a client..
It wasn't that I didn't enjoy CC in particular. In fact I made some great friends on the vacation scheme and the facilities and events we experienced whilst we were there were absolutely jaw dropping.

I just found all the work a bit tedious, mundane and not something that motivated me. People get sold on the money but to be honest I'd rather earn a bit less and do something that I find interesting. Currently in working in environmental law and find the work much more stimulating but it's a completely personal choice and I know many of my friends really enjoyed the corporate work and attitude. I also saw people continuously working ridiculous hours. Not on a vac scheme but the people around me. I knew that happened but when I saw it in person I realised that to me my life is about a lot more than a job, or at least if I have to work late I want to be interested!

These are all personal preferences though so they definitely shouldn't put people off but I think it's important to remember that a vac scheme doesn't mean you have to choose the job. You can also use is as experience to decide that it isn't for you and at least then you know.
Reply 1791
a lot of people are talking about seemingly impressive candidates that get a load of rejections - out of interest, do you think when you actually apply might be an important factor?
say if you're keen and send them off in say october, as opposed to mid december, would you be in a better position or would it be irrelevant?
Micky13
a lot of people are talking about seemingly impressive candidates that get a load of rejections - out of interest, do you think when you actually apply might be an important factor?
say if you're keen and send them off in say october, as opposed to mid december, would you be in a better position or would it be irrelevant?
Sending off Vac Scheme applications earlier rather than later can only be a good thing. That way you give yourself the best shot of being in the first wave of interviews when they still have virtually all their places open. If, however, you apply towards the end of January in all likelihood a lot of people will have been interviewed and a number of the places available may have filled up. Of course, it would be nice to think that firms had some objective way of ensuring that only the best 50 people got offers (assuming 50 Vac Scheme places) so that it didn't matter when you applied, but realistically that isn't going to happen.
Micky13

Regarding Vac schemes:
From what I've seen/heard and from personal experience, with regional firms it does not matter if you apply 3 months in advance or on deadline day.

I gather that when applying to city/ us/mc/ firms (especially the latter) it's better to submit applications earlier, i.e. November/December.

I don't know if sending off applications for easter/summer vac schemes as early as October would make a difference.
Rejection from Herbert Smith today, but invited to assessment day for Watson Farley & Williams. Anyone else applied there?
Reply 1795
Rejection from Mills & Reeve, claiming they had to give priority to third-years owing to large number of applications :frown:
drums_856
congratulations Lottie! Where is yours? Mine's In Manchester! Am very pleased, never been to an assessment centre before though, scary! also pcicked Easter and Summer Vac Schemes (mainly cos summer vac scheme assessment dates are in the middle of my exams!)

Thanks! Mine is Wednesday 4th March! When's yours? Congratulations! That's so good!

I'm kind of glad I have the Easter one now - it gives me something to look forward too :biggrin:

I'm sure it'll be fine. I went to an Addleshaws one and everyone was so nice, even the other candidates :smile: Hopefully it'll be fine anyway!!
fishface
I find the site depressing because it suggests that multiple vacation scheme places are being given to people from crap universities who can't spell "definitely" ( definatly !!) and other fairly easy words. I'll bet you are all pretty grateful for spellcheck!!

lol... i know this is seemingly offensive to some people, buuut i can see where both sides are coming from. it is VERY frustating to have worked since GCSE and got all A*s and As only to have 'diversity' and 'anti-Oxbridge/equal access for all uni' policies work against you! so i dont think fishface meant it offensively, he's just venting natural frustation.

And he/she is not suggesting the rest of you havent worked as hard, but if you work as hard as you can and get into e.g. Thames Valley, and work as hard as you can and get into Cambridge, then clearly the person who got into Cambridge has still achieved more.

I too, was suprised on getting to VS interviews to find ppl from the most random unis eeeever... it DOES make you wonder why you bothered spending all that time revising to get top grades etc to get into a top 5 uni for example!

hope the situation improves for you fishface. I'm pretty lucky, and have fared pretty well with applications, but a lot of my friends have expressed very similar sentiments to you!
Micky13

dont think there's much difference in applying in oct to mid dec personally... mid dec is still over a month before the deadline! however, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage if you apply near the deadline, at the end of jan. you might get a straight offer of an open day or something similar because spaces are all filled already, espesh places that only take 15 ppl on for the VS.

but graduate recruitment also says that last applications fare worse cs they tend to have been rushed more, so that might be another reason fro correlation between late applications and reduced success.
charnie
can i ask some quick advice? i have 2 offers but the dates clash. iv been put onto the earlier scheme at olswang but if i could switch to the later one, i could do both vac schemes. do u think olswang would let me do this? and if i phone up, should i tell the truth and say it's because i have another offer (and hence lead them to query how committed i am to olswang) or lie and say i have a family holiday booked (which would sound suspicious since i only got my offer yesterday and told her that the date was fine)

defo call them up and explain the situation. I did this with Baker & Mckenzie, and even asked them to change the dates for me so i'd only have to do 2weeks rather than 3 there so it's fit in, and they were fine with it. Graduate recruitment team are so lovely, they're really willing to accomodate! i

being honest is far better, than a far fetched story of the sudden booking of a family holiday!

they're not silly! they knnnow people will be doing 1, 2 or 3 vac schemes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending