The Student Room Group

I can't make eye contact

Either trying to make eye contact with people when talking or in general is incredibly uncomfortable and makes me feel that there judging or laughing at me. I'm not the most confident person. Making eye contact is a physical impossibility for me. How can I overcome this?
I know the perfect way to fix this. My teacher taught me this in year 6 (lol). Basically, when talking to someone, look at their nose, not their eyes. It appears to them that you are looking at their eyes eventhough you are not. Works like a charm
I've had this problem in the past, and whilst I agree with the other replies on here (the "look at [insert another facial feature here]" is a temporary trick that works,) it won't help you overcome the root problem of why you find it hard to look people in the eyes. I'm no expert on the reasons why, but I know it has something to do with being insecure about some part of yourself. My advice (through only experience) would be to try and figure out if you have anything you're insecure about and find ways in which you can overcome it. I know that sounds vague, but I hope this helps somewhat.

ALSO: A trick my friend taught me, whatever you do, do NOT look at the top of someone's forehead - it makes them super uncomfortable (it appears to them as if you're looking beyond them, you don't care what they have to say, etc)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending