The Student Room Group

Why are some people not recognising resits?

Why am I seeing so many GCSE students act like their August results dictate their lives?

By the time lockdown happened and schools closed, the curriculum would have been fully taught for the majority of subjects, so there's no excuse to not have used all this extra time to revise ahead of November exams.
Have you ever thought about how students who don’t get the grades they need for college/sixth form/apprenticeships on Thursday will sit exams in NOVEMBER when the new term starts in SEPTEMBER? There’s been no guidance as to how this will work, whether people who need to sit autumn exams will be held back a year or be able to go to their new college etc without actually have the required minimum grades. The stress of students at the moment is far more than just whether they’ve revised or not.
Original post by Anonymous
Why am I seeing so many GCSE students act like their August results dictate their lives?

By the time lockdown happened and schools closed, the curriculum would have been fully taught for the majority of subjects, so there's no excuse to not have used all this extra time to revise ahead of November exams.

1. They are moderately importnat as they determine whether you cna study the subject at A level or whether you get into your chosen sixth form.
2. The November exams would be too late.

Do you have a point? Not seeing it.
Why are you hiding behind anonymous? What are you scared of?
Becaus did they take exams in November, they’ll miss out on their offers this year and will have to take a hear out before going to sixth form, college or doing apprenticeships. Even if they CAN do those things on the condition they take exams, they’d have to balance a-levels or training alongside GCSE’s. It’s very stressful. It’s not that people aren’t recognising resits, it’s that they are and they are a big problem for some people.
Reply 4
Didn't think about that. From what I've read I thought people would be allowed into the college they applied to based on their predicted? Guess that's wrong.

I'm someone waiting on my results too. I feel pretty confident I've got what I needed but I have some friends who are so fixated on the results when they did alright in their mocks too so that's why I wasn't getting it.

Whats the alternative for people who don't get into anything? Isn't it a requirement to do something until 18?
For me, my August results were extremely important.

If I hadn’t have gotten the GCSE results I did, I wouldn’t had to do a Level 2 BTEC instead of a Level 3. This would mean an extra year at college, hence pushing back my uni plans etc.

Don’t undermine people’s feelings.
Original post by Anonymous
Didn't think about that. From what I've read I thought people would be allowed into the college they applied to based on their predicted? Guess that's wrong.

I'm someone waiting on my results too. I feel pretty confident I've got what I needed but I have some friends who are so fixated on the results when they did alright in their mocks too so that's why I wasn't getting it.

Whats the alternative for people who don't get into anything? Isn't it a requirement to do something until 18?

The alternative would probably be that the government make an exception this year about moving onto something straight away, or colleges and sixth forms and apprenticeships would have to just take people based on their CAGs whether they meet the offer or not. It’s not been made clear and so that’s why everyone is so stressed out and confused
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
For me, my August results were extremely important.

If I hadn’t have gotten the GCSE results I did, I wouldn’t had to do a Level 2 BTEC instead of a Level 3. This would mean an extra year at college, hence pushing back my uni plans etc.

Don’t undermine people’s feelings.

Same here. If I don’t get the grades I need with August results, it complicates things for applying to medical this year. I’d either have to apply with predicted grades and then go through UCAT, interviews, application and exams all at once, which is very stressful. If I decide not to apply, I have to wait 2 years before going to university. Neither option is ideal.
Original post by Anonymous17!
Same here. If I don’t get the grades I need with August results, it complicates things for applying to medical this year. I’d either have to apply with predicted grades and then go through UCAT, interviews, application and exams all at once, which is very stressful. If I decide not to apply, I have to wait 2 years before going to university. Neither option is ideal.

Exactly! Yes, re sits are a possibility but it complicates everything! Best of luck with your results - I’m sure you’ve done fantastic! :smile:
Exactly! Yes, re sits are a possibility but it complicates everything! Best of luck with your results - I’m sure you’ve done fantastic! :smile:

Aww thanks :hugs: but yeah, it complicates everything. The solutions aren’t solutions, they just cause more problems! Best of luck to you too, I hope everything works out :smile:
Aww thanks :hugs: but yeah, it complicates everything. The solutions aren’t solutions, they just cause more problems! Best of luck to you too, I hope everything works out :smile:

Thank you so much! I’m waiting on first year BTEC results which confirm whether I can go to uni or not! So fingers crossed :smile:
Thank you so much! I’m waiting on first year BTEC results which confirm whether I can go to uni or not! So fingers crossed :smile:

What course did you apply to?
What course did you apply to?

I’m currently on a Travel and Tourism course at college. I would be applying to uni to start next year but if I don’t receive a D/D* this year, i cannot go to uni without doing a foundation year or staying at college for an extra year!
I’m currently on a Travel and Tourism course at college. I would be applying to uni to start next year but if I don’t receive a D/D* this year, i cannot go to uni without doing a foundation year or staying at college for an extra year!

That’s an interesting course :smile: and yes! Things are just so complicated this year. Not all of us go to good schools so standardisation is a nightmare, not all of us got super good grades during college or school, and not all of us have unconditionally. Some of us have no offers so already have to take 1 year out, now it might be 2! Ahh, I wonder what it feels like to not have to worry about these results or exams
That’s an interesting course :smile: and yes! Things are just so complicated this year. Not all of us go to good schools so standardisation is a nightmare, not all of us got super good grades during college or school, and not all of us have unconditionally. Some of us have no offers so already have to take 1 year out, now it might be 2! Ahh, I wonder what it feels like to not have to worry about these results or exams

I know! I come from quite a deprived area do opportunity here is limited. It’s a struggle and a fight to get good grades and jobs down here. I am praying I can go to uni as that’ll really change my life!
I know! I come from quite a deprived area do opportunity here is limited. It’s a struggle and a fight to get good grades and jobs down here. I am praying I can go to uni as that’ll really change my life!

I live in a deprived area but go to a pretty good sixth form. And yes, it’s a nightmare trying to get a job here too. Been applying for ages and I really need one for my gap year because we’re a low income family. I just applied for a job a few days ago and I called up today and they said they were still going through applications. I really hope I get an interview! But yeah, I didn’t get into uni for this year and so I’m hoping I will be able to go either next year or 2022. Uni will 100% change my life as well!
The alternative would probably be that the government make an exception this year about moving onto something straight away, or colleges and sixth forms and apprenticeships would have to just take people based on their CAGs whether they meet the offer or not. It’s not been made clear and so that’s why everyone is so stressed out and confused

Why is this year any different? Every year there's gonna be people who don't get onto anything - what happens with them normally?
I live in a deprived area but go to a pretty good sixth form. And yes, it’s a nightmare trying to get a job here too. Been applying for ages and I really need one for my gap year because we’re a low income family. I just applied for a job a few days ago and I called up today and they said they were still going through applications. I really hope I get an interview! But yeah, I didn’t get into uni for this year and so I’m hoping I will be able to go either next year or 2022. Uni will 100% change my life as well!

Ahh best of luck!!!
Original post by Bill V2
Why is this year any different? Every year there's gonna be people who don't get onto anything - what happens with them normally?

I had a friend who missed out on grades for college but didn’t apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship. The college was ‘forced’ I suppose to accept him and they were required to organise an apprenticeship or traineeship for him. Until they found one for him, they kept him on and he ended up doing a traineeship and is about to finish up.

Attachment not found

so sixth forms and colleges would either have to take people on even if they miss out on their offers, or people’s school will have to support students until they find an apprenticeship or traineeship, or, possibly hundreds, possibly thousands, of students with no work experience will have to look for a 20+ hour job in a job market that’s even more competitive than it was before, or try and find some volunteering. The government would then have to deal with an even bigger increase of job seekers and unemployment, or would have to make provisions to open up volunteer opportunities. So, given those scenarios I’d say that colleges and sixth form would probably just have to accept people, apprenticeships would have to the same and for the people who missed their offers by a landslide, the government would have to be lenient about the law. Unless they can magically open up thousands of new jobs. I suppose that many young people could volunteer but because of Covid and social distancing etc, a lot of places aren’t accepting volunteers anymore. Medical school applicants can’t even find work experience through volunteering this year, and even charity shops are trying to reduce their volunteer numbers in order to do social distancing. So even that creates problems
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending