The Student Room Group

Chances at Cambridge for Maths

I'm now going into College, and I'm doing all three sciences, and two maths. I have a real passion for Maths and ultimately would love to go to Cambridge to Study maths, although I really feel like it's unlikely with my grades, for GCSE this year I got the following.

Maths - A*
Statistics - A*
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Science (OCR Double Award) B/A (although the A from this year is being remarked as it's 1 off an A*)
Geography - A
Spanish - B
German - B
Music - D
ICT - A (Short Course)
Citizenship - C (Short Course)

I've found out, from the Cambridge website, that because of my school, I'll get two points added to my Cambridge Score, which helps, but what are my chances of doing Maths at Cambridge?

If I manage to get all As in my ASs this year, and do well on the STEP Paper, are my GCSEs going to really hold me back?

I was also considering doing a couple of GCSEs whilst at college in an attempt to make me look more appealing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also understand that Maths isn't anywhere near as competitive as Law or Medicine, so I assume that'll aid me?

Scroll to see replies

Your GCSES DO NOT MATTER YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD CHANCE NOW GO AND ENJOY LIFE INSTEAD OF WORRYING
Reply 2
Your GCSEs are not good, but not so bad as to stop you getting an offer if you do well elsewhere. Don't bother taking more GCSEs, it doesn't seem worth the bother, the effort would probably be better spent pushing your STEP result up a grade or so. (You need to aim for a 1 in order to make up any ground ideally). Your chances....well, how good at maths are you? (Read: I can't possibly judge that, all I have is an A* at GCSE to go by, which let's face it doesn't count for much)
Reply 3
most applicnats get an interview, GCSEs are less important for maths, all they care about is how good you are at maths
Reply 4
tolovemaths
I'm doing all three sciences, and two maths.

:eek: That's gunna be hard! If you get all A's then I'll be impressed.
Reply 5
For Cambridge Maths, they're looking for extremely good mathematicians. This cannot be demonstrated through GCSE grades (and your score of 6.0 is alright). You'll need very high marks (95%+) in your Maths + Further Maths A-levels and perform well at the interview. The REAL hurdle comes after that - STEP in June. But first get to that point :smile:.
If your passion is truly maths, you'd be better off studying maths, further maths, physics and one other, leaving you time to do a lot of extra maths studying in preparation for those STEPs you'll have to pass to gain entry. Getting the AAAs is the least of a Cambridge maths applicant's problems. The STEPs are the killer - around half don't pass them.
Reply 7
Swayum
For Cambridge Maths, they're looking for extremely good mathematicians. This cannot be demonstrated through GCSE grades (and your score of 6.0 is alright). You'll need very high marks (95%+) in your Maths + Further Maths A-levels and perform well at the interview. The REAL hurdle comes after that - STEP in June. But first get to that point :smile:.

I didn't have 95%+ in maths and further As (although i do at A2) I'm not saying that it's common not to have it, i just don't think you should go around saying that you HAVE to have it
Reply 8
smilepea
I didn't have 95%+ in maths and further As (although i do at A2) I'm not saying that it's common not to have it, i just don't think you should go around saying that you HAVE to have it

Oh no, I wasn't implying you need it. An admissions tutor told me he doesn't care past 90%. I just meant it's a way of demonstrating you're good at Maths (which you can't do through GCSEs).
if you get predicted all a's then gcses are pretty meaningless.
Reply 10
Swayum
Oh no, I wasn't implying you need it. An admissions tutor told me he doesn't care past 90%. I just meant it's a way of demonstrating you're good at Maths (which you can't do through GCSEs).

I think your post could be read as if you were suggesting you did, and i just didn't want people to get the wrong idea :smile:
Reply 11
Thanks everyone for the help.
Reply 12
Considering Universities have better ways of measuring how good you are at Maths, STEP and Interviews, you should be fine. As someone said, when it comes to Maths, they don't pay too much attention to your GCSEs. So just concentrate on doing excellently in your A-Levels and STEP and Interview and you'll have as good a chance as anyone else.
Reply 13
Swayum

Hasn't he got a score of 7 or 7.4?

If the remark shows he's still got an A then it'll be 2 A*s and 5 As, which is 5, plus the two because of his school.

But if he gets the 3 A*s and the 4 As then he's got 7.4 surely?

I think 7 or 7.4s actually a pretty good score.
Reply 14
Noble.

If the remark shows he's still got an A then it'll be 2 A*s and 5 As, which is 5, plus the two because of his school.

But if he gets the 3 A*s and the 4 As then he's got 7.4 surely?

I think 7 or 7.4s actually a pretty good score.

Yeah, agreed on 7(.4); although either way 7ish isn't really a good score, 6 A*s is apparently the 'average' now; it's reasonable to assume that comes with 3-4 As, and is from a decent school so an average score might be 7.8-8.4.
Reply 15
pyrolol
Yeah, agreed on 7(.4); although either way 7ish isn't really a good score, 6 A*s is apparently the 'average' now; it's reasonable to assume that comes with 3-4 As, and is from a decent school so an average score might be 7.8-8.4.

6 A*s is the average for what? Applicants to Oxbridge, or across the whole United Kingdom?
Its a shame about your D in music... if you wanted, couldnt you resit that??
Reply 17
Noble.
6 A*s is the average for what? Applicants to Oxbridge, or across the whole United Kingdom?

Hehe neither; people who actually get in. Both of the groups you've suggested will probably have lower averages.
Reply 18
pyrolol
Hehe neither; people who actually get in. Both of the groups you've suggested will probably have lower averages.

Well if he's got average GCSEs for people who get into Cambridge for Maths, surely that means he's better than 50% of people who get in, in terms of GCSEs?
Reply 19
Noble.

I thought As were 0.5 - sorry.

Latest

Trending

Trending