The Student Room Group

been scammed via paypal

Brought some jumper off depop for £90 and the seller insisted i pay via paypal friends and family, i didn’t know there was no buyer protection and he blocked me, is there anyway to get my money back??:frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Brought some jumper off depop for £90 and the seller insisted i pay via paypal friends and family, i didn’t know there was no buyer protection and he blocked me, is there anyway to get my money back??:frown:

You can try to contact PayPal and Depop to see if they can help. But ultimately this was your negligence and neither service is really obliged to help you. There's a reason friends and family is different to paying for good and services, the name should give it away and I'm fairly sure PayPal warns you too. So "I didn't know" is unlikely to cut it. You've learned an expensive but valuable lesson. Stick to goods and services in the future, and do your research if you're ever unsure.
Reply 2
Original post by AcseI
You can try to contact PayPal and Depop to see if they can help. But ultimately this was your negligence and neither service is really obliged to help you. There's a reason friends and family is different to paying for good and services, the name should give it away and I'm fairly sure PayPal warns you too. So "I didn't know" is unlikely to cut it. You've learned an expensive but valuable lesson. Stick to goods and services in the future, and do your research if you're ever unsure.

yeah i heard that there’s no buyer protection as it was seen as gift but i’ve got the depop messages, will they help or is it useless as banks or the police won’t care over such a small amount?
Original post by Anonymous
yeah i heard that there’s no buyer protection as it was seen as gift but i’ve got the depop messages, will they help or is it useless as banks or the police won’t care over such a small amount?

You don't have anything to lose by trying, and if you can prove you were scammed that'll help. But the odds of you getting your money back aren't super high. That's not about whether they care or not, it's simply difficult to get your money back in cases like this. The bank weren't directly involved, and the police won't have much to go on.

Your first point of call should be contacting PayPal since they're the ones that may actually be able to reverse the payment. But again, don't get your hopes up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending