The Student Room Group

dad has put a bill in my name without my consent, it has ruined my credit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
is there anyway that debt can be transferred to him without reporting him to the police?
it’s uncomfortable because atm me and my mum are dependent on him and if he goes to jail for this idk what will happen to me and my mum. If i was in a good financial position where i could take care of my mum and just let him go to jail i’d report him but i can’t atm.

would i be able to get the debt transferred to him and clear it off my name??

I dont think its as dire as the person above suggests and you might be able to negotiate with the water company.
One way or another they will want paying.

Send me a DM and tell me :
How much its for?
When it was made in your name?
How old were you at the time?
Whether you are the householder or he is?
What his reaction will be when you tell him?
Will you be able to transfer it to him or will he refuse?
Are you able to pay the bill going forward?
Does the bill show you the source of payments?
Have you had a full look at the pattern of payments on the account?
Hello! I too have been a victim of familial fraud.

My advice you may not want to hear: Flag the bill as fraud on your credit score. I could give you a bunch of possible scenarios the water company may take, but it ultimately comes down to whether the debt is worth recovering or not. What I can tell you for sure is that while it may be the hardest thing ever to potentially get family in trouble, in the end it will be the best thing for you. They will not stop until something makes them stop. By flagging as fraud, your credit score will improve, but you risk a possible investigation into your father. Because it's a utility bill, the company will know the debt belongs to someone in the house they supply to. I don't think there would be a way to transfer the account to your dad without them realising fraud has been committed.

If you don't want to report your dad or encourage any kind of investigation: Call up the water company. Ask what the outstanding balance is. If it's manageable and you can afford to pay it off, pay it off in full and work out a payment plan with your parents. Once the debt in your name is cleared, inform the water company that you aren't going to be responsible for paying the water bill for the household anymore and you'd like to transfer the account to your parents and give them any details they ask for. If you take this route, you'll have to accept that the bill will be on your credit report until it isn't. There are ways you can improve credit though, even with that "blip" on your account.

Ultimately it is your choice. I took responsibility for the debts in my name. Paid them off and started a payment plan with the family member who commited the fraud. They were furious I'd made them pay me back and it become obvious to me that they were riding on the luck of these companies deciding the debt would be too minor to attempt to recover. They went on to do the same thing to a different family member. I wish I'd have just flagged them as fraud and not even told the family member I knew about it.
Good luck and I hope you get things sorted.
Original post by Scottishlad888
Report him

To the Police
call the police
is there anyway that debt can be transferred to him without reporting him to the police?
it’s uncomfortable because atm me and my mum are dependent on him and if he goes to jail for this idk what will happen to me and my mum. If i was in a good financial position where i could take care of my mum and just let him go to jail i’d report him but i can’t atm.

would i be able to get the debt transferred to him and clear it off my name??

Nope, all you can do is get him to change the bill into his name but you'd still be liable for the debt accrued until then. You'd have to get him to pay that off through yourself but it would still be on your record for 6 years which means you still couldn't move.

Also if he's committing fraud in your mum's name as well then it's most likely going to catch up with him in the end unfortunately, either that or the companies that he owes money to in your mum's name will come after her and initiate court action. That will almost definitely result in a CCJ being issued against her, and your dad if they're married. After that, they can issue an order of statutory demand and if the debt isn't paid or a repayment agreement made within 21 days then they can apply to the court for a bankruptcy order. There is one condition though, for a bankruptcy order to be issued the debt must be at least £5,000 although it can easily go that high with court and legal fees.

Original post by 999tigger
I dont think its as dire as the person above suggests and you might be able to negotiate with the water company.
One way or another they will want paying.

What I posted is based on the next steps that the water company will eventually take if the situation carries on unfortunately. The advice I've given has come from a friend who is a solicitor well versed in cases such as these
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Always_Confused
Hello! I too have been a victim of familial fraud.

My advice you may not want to hear: Flag the bill as fraud on your credit score. I could give you a bunch of possible scenarios the water company may take, but it ultimately comes down to whether the debt is worth recovering or not. What I can tell you for sure is that while it may be the hardest thing ever to potentially get family in trouble, in the end it will be the best thing for you. They will not stop until something makes them stop. By flagging as fraud, your credit score will improve, but you risk a possible investigation into your father. Because it's a utility bill, the company will know the debt belongs to someone in the house they supply to. I don't think there would be a way to transfer the account to your dad without them realising fraud has been committed.

If you don't want to report your dad or encourage any kind of investigation: Call up the water company. Ask what the outstanding balance is. If it's manageable and you can afford to pay it off, pay it off in full and work out a payment plan with your parents. Once the debt in your name is cleared, inform the water company that you aren't going to be responsible for paying the water bill for the household anymore and you'd like to transfer the account to your parents and give them any details they ask for. If you take this route, you'll have to accept that the bill will be on your credit report until it isn't. There are ways you can improve credit though, even with that "blip" on your account.

Ultimately it is your choice. I took responsibility for the debts in my name. Paid them off and started a payment plan with the family member who commited the fraud. They were furious I'd made them pay me back and it become obvious to me that they were riding on the luck of these companies deciding the debt would be too minor to attempt to recover. They went on to do the same thing to a different family member. I wish I'd have just flagged them as fraud and not even told the family member I knew about it.
Good luck and I hope you get things sorted.

hey thank you so much for your advice! it’s nice to come across someone who has been in this situation before because you’re the only one who seems to understand how complex this is and how reporting my dad isn’t as simple as it seems. I will probably just pay the debt off myself and have to deal with the consequences. what ways can i improve my credit score? i’m guessing credit cards are out of the questions? what’s funny is when i saw the letter with the balance on it i told my dad i’d pay it off and he refused to let me pay. but by him paying it later he’s making things worse for me. Am i completely screwed if i have this blip in my account?
Original post by MedicWil

What I posted is based on the next steps that the water company will eventually take if the situation carries on unfortunately. The advice I've given has come from a friend who is a solicitor well versed in cases such as these

Any solicitor worth their salt would find out what the facts are first.
What a textbook might say doesnt have to be what happens in reality.
Personally I would do what the above said, flag it as fraud and contact the police. Your family did not card when they committed fraud and tarnished your future ability to get credit for their own selfishnesses, why do you care now? Also how old are you? Any debts from
Under the age of 18 can be written off
The consequences are not being able to get broadband, rent a flat, car insurance, not being able to buy a house, or get an overdraft from your bank if you’re struggling. Do you really want to live with that? You’re being too nice. On the other hand, if you do report to the police there is no guarantee you’ll have an amazing credit score especially if the only credit you have is your phone. Credit takes years to build.
(edited 3 years ago)
hey thank you so much for your advice! it’s nice to come across someone who has been in this situation before because you’re the only one who seems to understand how complex this is and how reporting my dad isn’t as simple as it seems. I will probably just pay the debt off myself and have to deal with the consequences. what ways can i improve my credit score? i’m guessing credit cards are out of the questions? what’s funny is when i saw the letter with the balance on it i told my dad i’d pay it off and he refused to let me pay. but by him paying it later he’s making things worse for me. Am i completely screwed if i have this blip in my account?

You should just clear the balance behind your Dad's back. I think his pride isn't letting him think straight and he probably doesn't realise things are worse for you the longer he doesn't pay the bill.
Once the debt is cleared, your phone contract will improve your credit score. Slowly, but it will improve over time.
If you can get accepted for a credit building credit card, that can help. The interest rates aren't the best, so I wouldn't use it for anything you can't pay off immediately. So when I needed to build my credit back up, I would use my credit card to pay for my monthly shop, then clear the balance straight away when I got home. Also, as you get other utilities in your name if you ever move out, that will also improve your credit. You will get there and you won't even remember the 'blip' in a few years time!
It was two credit cards my family member maxed out in my name. So the prospect of building my credit with another card was terrifying. I now have better credit than my partner who's never had someone do that to him though! So it does get better.
Original post by TallyBridget19
Personally I would do what the above said, flag it as fraud and contact the police. Your family did not card when they committed fraud and tarnished your future ability to get credit for their own selfishnesses, why do you care now? Also how old are you? Any debts from
Under the age of 18 can be written off
The consequences are not being able to get broadband, rent a flat, car insurance, not being able to buy a house, or get an overdraft from your bank if you’re struggling. Do you really want to live with that? You’re being too nice. On the other hand, if you do report to the police there is no guarantee you’ll have an amazing credit score especially if the only credit you have is your phone. Credit takes years to build.

well like i said in another post, me and my mum are dependent on him and so getting him investigated might not be the best thing for us now, i will try to report him at some point when i can get a stable income and live without him.

Also i’m really confused because i was recently able to get car insurance in my name?

And i checked my credit score on experian and it was excellent, however that was only because the water bill wasn’t reported to them, it was only reported to equifax where my score is really low.
You should just clear the balance behind your Dad's back. I think his pride isn't letting him think straight and he probably doesn't realise things are worse for you the longer he doesn't pay the bill.
Once the debt is cleared, your phone contract will improve your credit score. Slowly, but it will improve over time.
If you can get accepted for a credit building credit card, that can help. The interest rates aren't the best, so I wouldn't use it for anything you can't pay off immediately. So when I needed to build my credit back up, I would use my credit card to pay for my monthly shop, then clear the balance straight away when I got home. Also, as you get other utilities in your name if you ever move out, that will also improve your credit. You will get there and you won't even remember the 'blip' in a few years time!
It was two credit cards my family member maxed out in my name. So the prospect of building my credit with another card was terrifying. I now have better credit than my partner who's never had someone do that to him though! So it does get better.

this makes me feel so much better!! thank you so much, i’ll defo look into those cards! do you have any recommendation for which card?
thank you for actually giving some advice! I will definitely get the bill transferred out of my name. The thing is I'm pretty sure he knew what was doing, he has gotten into a lot of debt under his own name so i imagine thats why he put that bill under my name. It apparently takes 6 years for that debt to cleared off my report which is frustrating. I also tried to get a credit card awhile ago but I got rejected so i'm not sure what to do...Surely these landlords would need proof that that bill was not supposed to be in my name right? wouldn't that mean getting my dad in trouble?

Don't worry about it, I've been in the same boat and I now have a house and a mortgage so...it's not there forever. Some credit card companies will give you one, maybe not the high street ones but shop around, have a look on moneysavingexpert.com etc. Re landlords, they just want to see that you're not going to bail and owe them so if you can show you have a healthy bank balance and get good references, they should understand. If that doesn't work, you might have to rent a room in a shared house instead (so someone else's name is on the tenancy) until your history is restored. Good luck!

V good advice, agreed. And talk to Citizens' Advice Bureau for some independent advice without getting anyone into trouble
this makes me feel so much better!! thank you so much, i’ll defo look into those cards! do you have any recommendation for which card?

Different cards are recommended for different people but MSE and comparethemarket etc let you compare deals
Don't worry about it, I've been in the same boat and I now have a house and a mortgage so...it's not there forever. Some credit card companies will give you one, maybe not the high street ones but shop around, have a look on moneysavingexpert.com etc. Re landlords, they just want to see that you're not going to bail and owe them so if you can show you have a healthy bank balance and get good references, they should understand. If that doesn't work, you might have to rent a room in a shared house instead (so someone else's name is on the tenancy) until your history is restored. Good luck!

great thank you so much!
Different cards are recommended for different people but MSE and comparethemarket etc let you compare deals

great thank you!
The question i'd like to ask is "how old were you in 2018' If you're under the age of 18 at the time, then you could address that through the water company as, no child should have a bill for utilities put in their name, so the onus would be on the water company to ensure they were dealing with an adult with the means to pay at the time of agreeing the service contract. You will need to report this to the utilities and have them transfer the debt back to your father and another entry placed on the credit agencies record to address this issue and cancel the CCJ. (County Court Judgement).
Best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending