The Student Room Group

transferring to a new phone contract separate from my parents

hi! the contract for my phone is coming up to its end and i just need some advice about the best route to take regarding my phone, if anyone can help that would be amazing!!

so i’ve got an iphone 11 currently, the contract is in my dad’s name because i got it when i was under 18 and he pays the fee for the handset and i pay the other fee for the data and other stuff like that. now that i’m 19 and my phone contract is coming to an end soon (just under a year) i’d like to be able to start my own phone contract where i can access the account and control everything because obviously at the moment only my dad can do that. i’d like to keep my phone number the same because i know it by heart however i’ve got no clue how to go about it when the time comes.

i still have a little while to go before i can actually get a new phone because there’s still about £200 left to pay of the contract before it’s paid off, but i know with my previous phone before the iphone 11 we managed to upgrade early so i don’t really know what my options will be. i’m gonna chat to my dad soon about it but if any of you have been in similar circumstances or have any advice that may help me please let me know i’ll greatly appreciate it!
when it comes time to upgrade, make sure your credit score is at least average and ensure you're paying everything like credit cards and klarna in time so it reflects well that you'll be able to pay for a phone in your own name without trouble as they'll need to do a credit search (I'm 20 and recently finding that more providers are becoming sticklers with students/young people who have little credit history so just make sure everything's in order before applying).

when it comes to the phone number issue, you can ask for a PUC code. you're new provider will take this off you and transfer the number to the new phone. if you're staying with the same provider I'm not sure of what is done exactly but it's a similar process and your dad may need to sign off he's happy for you to take over the number.

don't worry too much about it now though, you have plenty of time before you need to even think about any of this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending