The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The_Fez
Really? Well you learn something new everyday.

I could never do geography, I hated it with a passion. Such pure boredom...

Apparently so. I imagine it could be helpful with geotechnics or costal / marine modules.

I feel the same way - dropped it in year 9!
bkcr20
I think you might have heard wrong - there aren't enough people doing civil engineering!!

Hmmm... may be. But civil engineers aren't paid that well. So it's no good either way.
Reply 22
That and Mechanical Engineering is far more fun. Learn to build a house, or a formula car? Hmmm.....

And in military terms, build a bridge, or blow one up? Hmmm.....

Well I like my choice :smile:
...CoNfUsEd...
i dont mind chemistry much..bt would biology benefit aswel?

Many of the better universities give as much credit for Biology as they give for Media when it comes to Engineering. Just do Physics, Math and Further Math, and they aren't a single UK university that won't consider you. If you can, try to do AS Chemistry as well... it's pretty easy.
Reply 24
BadExaminee
Many of the better universities give as much credit for Biology as they give for Media when it comes to Engineering.

I cant say i agree with that at all. If that was the case Biology wouldn't have been an option at Welbeck and all the universities I know of give alot of credit for Biology.
The_Fez
I cant say i agree with that at all. If that was the case Biology wouldn't have been an option at Welbeck and all the universities I know of give alot of credit for Biology.

Are you sure that they give credit to Biology for Engineering? If yes, which universities are you talking of?
Reply 26
All Welbeck students must do an engineering degree, its part of the scheme.
Welbeck is part of the DTUS Scheme so only DTUS Uni's, Southampton, Birmingham, Newcastle, Aston and Northumbria. (Oxbridge in rare cases, but it's frowned upon)
Reply 27
BadExaminee
Many of the better universities give as much credit for Biology as they give for Media when it comes to Engineering. Just do Physics, Math and Further Math, and they aren't a single UK university that won't consider you. If you can, try to do AS Chemistry as well... it's pretty easy.

Why exactly would this be? Biology is still a solid subject to take, and an interesting one at that. Although it does rely on memorising, it still requires logic and analytical skills (particularly for coursework), consistent with all sciences. If indeed it was viewed on equal terms with media, I doubt I would have recieved five offers from top engineering departments, and starting at Imperial this October.

To pick up on your other post, from what I've heard, civil engineering is considered to be one of the most consistently well-paying engineering disciplines (of course Chemical engineering does trumph this by a lot but the point still stands). Not that salary should matter that much anyway, but I do wonder how much about engineering you really know if you're willing to make such insubstantial claims.
Peel
Why exactly would this be? Biology is still a solid subject to take, and an interesting one at that. Although it does rely on memorising, it still requires logic and analytical skills (particularly for coursework), consistent with all sciences. If indeed it was viewed on equal terms with media, I doubt I would have recieved five offers from top engineering departments, and starting at Imperial this October.

To pick up on your other post, from what I've heard, civil engineering is considered to be one of the most consistently well-paying engineering disciplines (of course Chemical engineering does trumph this by a lot but the point still stands). Not that salary should matter that much anyway, but I do wonder how much about engineering you really know if you're willing to make such insubstantial claims.

First of all, I never claimed Biology was a "soft" subject. I just meant Biology does not replace Physics, Math, Further Math or Chemistry when it comes to Engineering "only". I have studied and admired Biology myself. I was only advising the OP on what subjects to take if he wanted to study Engineering. Seriously, you don't need Biology for Engineering. Plus, Further Math or Chemistry would be more preferable an alternative to Biology for almost all universities for Engineering. You should know that if you "know a lot about engineering".

As for me "not knowing substantially about engineering", I got offers from McGill Uni, Australian National Uni, Surrey (ranked 4th), Warwick and Manchester on engineering myself. Thanks.
Reply 29
Ok lets all calm down and just accept that you both have a fair knowledge about engineering. Yes further maths will probably have better standing than biology but I fail to see why chemistry is so important unless you are going to be studying chemical engineering (not having done the subject myself i can't be certain).

At the end of the day, so long as you have maths most universities will accept you, some may ask for Physics as well but beyond that your 3rd A-level's worth is only the grade you get. One university won't say you can't do engineering because your doing Maths, Physics and Media. It might do you a favour doing harder subjects such as biology and chemistry but I have never heard of being disregarded by a University because your doing a soft subject with 2 hard ones.
Reply 30
Point taken Fez. I wasn't worked up, but I do appreciate it may have seemed that way due to my wording, and tone.

BadExaminee
First of all, I never claimed Biology was a "soft" subject. I just meant Biology does not replace Physics, Math, Further Math or Chemistry when it comes to Engineering "only". I have studied and admired Biology myself. I was only advising the OP on what subjects to take if he wanted to study Engineering. Seriously, you don't need Biology for Engineering. Plus, Further Math or Chemistry would be more preferable an alternative to Biology for almost all universities for Engineering. You should know that if you "know a lot about engineering".

As for me "not knowing substantially about engineering", I got offers from McGill Uni, Australian National Uni, Surrey (ranked 4th), Warwick and Manchester on engineering myself. Thanks.

My point was that Biology would not be considered equivalent to media studies, which as you might note, is one of the least respected subjects (I'm not saying it's easy or a doss though as I wouldn't know). I am aware of the standard Engineering Tripos, but I chose what a I liked and I don't regret it. Well done on the offers though, my aunt works at McGill.
Peel
My point was that Biology would not be considered equivalent to media studies, which as you might note, is one of the least respected subjects (I'm not saying it's easy or a doss though as I wouldn't know). I am aware of the standard Engineering Tripos, but I chose what a I liked and I don't regret it. Well done on the offers though, my aunt works at McGill.

Yeah I guess I was a bit stupid in directly comparing Bio and Media :o: Btw, which dept is your aunt in?
Reply 32
Peel
Point taken Fez. I wasn't worked up, but I do appreciate it may have seemed that way due to my wording, and tone.

Haha no worries, I didn't see the point in causing an argument over which subject was better out of Media and Biology...

...like trying to convince people that Ireland is actually full of leprechauns...
BadExaminee

Not really impressed, sorry :sleep:
Master Polhem
Not really impressed, sorry :sleep:

Well I wasn't trying to impress anyone lol
BadExaminee
Well I wasn't trying to impress anyone lol

:smile:

(And I was not trying to make a point either - it is a win win situation really)
Reply 36
BadExaminee
Yeah I guess I was a bit stupid in directly comparing Bio and Media :o: Btw, which dept is your aunt in?

Don't worry about it, I did understand what you were saying. Erm, not too sure which department as I don't see her much but I did get a free McGill t shirt when I visited :p:.

Good luck with your choice though, Australia is amazing!
Reply 37
I think you should do what you really want to do. I think civil engineering do have more range of jobs though and my tutor back in college told me that I was better off during mechanical engineering instead of aeronautical engineering. I have a friend who went to uni to do aero then he dropped the course after the 1st year to do civil engineering because he found it hard. As long as you are hard working in life then hopefully the sky is your limit :smile:
The_Fez
I did Biology and it's not so much the content but the way the work has to be approached that benefits. It's really down to what you want to do when you leave, and what you want to do for the next two years. Most things except Media, Geography and Psychology are worth looking into I think.

ROFL

Considering that a major part of the first year of Civil concentrates on Geography, it is an incredibly funny/stupid remark to make. Some people like it, some don't.

At the end of the day, do what you want, not what some arguing arrogant members (including myself) say. As long as you have Maths and Physics and a strong third subject, you're in.
Reply 39
bluenoxid
ROFL

Considering that a major part of the first year of Civil concentrates on Geography, it is an incredibly funny/stupid remark to make. Some people like it, some don't.

Ok ok :rolleyes: that may be true, I didn't know (I always viewed geography as a soft subject but hey, that's me, wrong or not)

I personally hated the subject, dropped it at year 9 and would never go back.

As for my ignorance, yes I am clueless :smile: if it's concerned with geography I don't want to know anyway.

Good thing I never looked at civil I suppose...

But he is right, Maths and Physics are the way forward with engineering.

Latest