The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It totally depends on where you're going and if they've sent you a list. I would strongly advise you NOT to buy anything until you're at uni and have worked out what you'll really need.
Reply 2
I echo what Helen has said wait until you get there and see what the uni recomends.

If you are determined that you want to get some Netter cards are useful as is Kumar and Clark. Maybe you could ask your parents to get you some book tokens?
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies. Was just looking at what appears to be the two main text books that Kumar & Clark one and the Grey's Anatomy one. I might as well just wait untill I get there, saves all the hassle of getting them there as well.
Reply 4
randdom
I echo what Helen has said wait until you get there and see what the uni recomends.

If you are determined that you want to get some Netter cards are useful as is Kumar and Clark. Maybe you could ask your parents to get you some book tokens?

which books do 1 year at bsms use ?
The problem with K & C is that, while really interesting and generally fantastic (I love diagnosing myself with stuff), there will probably be a new edition between now and your clinics, when you'll really need it. And there is apparently quite a lot of content added and updated between then. That said, I'm still a little tempted!

I didn't buy anything and I'm glad I didn't. A friend got screwed over because he bought all the starred books on his list, and only used a couple of them all year. Generally speaking, an anatomy book you get on well with is a good investment, as are Netter's flashcards.
also, i think the waterstones offer runs for like a month or so, it happens every year. ask to be sure tho.
Reply 7
The Man111
which books do 1 year at bsms use ?

It depends on what you like, I got greys anatomy for students a pharmacology text book and a biochem book. However I didn't get them until midway though the first term. So just turn up and see what you like :smile:
Reply 8
becca2389
The problem with K & C is that, while really interesting and generally fantastic (I love diagnosing myself with stuff), there will probably be a new edition between now and your clinics, when you'll really need it. And there is apparently quite a lot of content added and updated between then. That said, I'm still a little tempted!

Depends on your course... We need K&C (or an equivalent clinical med book) from week one year one...
gray's anatomy is so outdated it's unreal (in terms of the way anatomy is taught)

complete waste: you'll get the books cheaper on freshers week from the second years
Netters cards??
Reply 11
randdom
It depends on what you like, I got greys anatomy for students a pharmacology text book and a biochem book. However I didn't get them until midway though the first term. So just turn up and see what you like :smile:

Don't you need them from the very beginning though, or did you just borrow books from the library?
Reply 12
arpeggio
Don't you need them from the very beginning though, or did you just borrow books from the library?

Yup I used the library for the first 4/5 weeks and tried a number of books and found the right one for me.

No Future
Netters cards??

These
btw has anyone found the anatomy colouring books useful?
Reply 14
randdom
Yup I used the library for the first 4/5 weeks and tried a number of books and found the right one for me.

Ah ok, that does seem like the most sensible option :yep: I just worry that everyone'll have the same idea and there won't be enough books to go round!
fairycakes
btw has anyone found the anatomy colouring books useful?

I used them for my 2nd year exams for head and neck anatomy because I'm awful at drawing so it was the only way I could include diagrams in my revision notes. I found it really helped me learn artery/nerve distributions. I ignored sections for upper/lower limb musles etc, with 10's of muscles all blending into 1, and no idea of insertion and origin I found it a bit pointless.
And while we're at it, my favourite anatomy textbook is Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple. It's actually AMAZING. It makes everything silly, like Wills is made into a spider shape to learn all the branches (his legs). I sound like a right child learning from this book and colouring in books while you're all discussing hardcore clinical textbooks. lol
Neuroanatomy colouring book was very useful to me, don't know about the rest.
I suggest wait till you get there, and ask second years for advice before you buy they have been through it and will know which books are the most useful.
Not sure I can say this but there is a very good torrent site for textbooks

google textbook torrent and you should find it quite easily :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending