The Student Room Group
It costs a lot more and you have to study longer and if in the end you fail you've spent way more than you should have or if you graduate and fook up then you go to prison and it can kill people
Reply 2
ok............

What aboiut the career itself. I have heard its really long hours and stuff and low pay too?
Reply 3
Unregistered
ok............

What aboiut the career itself. I have heard its really long hours and stuff and low pay too?

no, mediceine is a very good carrere u get payed high wages, and u can easily pass the exams, thats why so many people chose it 2 day
I was planning to do Medicine before my AS Levels but not anymore because:

- Biology was so confusing and boring so I dropped it
- I got ACCC in my AS levels and I'm predicted BBB for my A2s
- I'm not dedicated or enthusiastic enough
- I don't think I will be able to study full-time for 5 years and work at the same time
- too much competition
- too many people who are getting AAAA these days
Reply 5
Unregistered
and u can easily pass the exams, thats why so many people chose it 2 day

haha oh dear, please tell me you aren't serious? the first year for medicine is a lot tougher than most other third years, sooo many people drop out
Reply 6
- You may have to deal with abusive patients
- The pay isnt all that great
- You can't help everyone, which is basically what you want to do afterall
- The hours are long
- The university course is long, and there are post exams too al the way up to consultancy post.
- Its emotionally and physically demanding
- You see people at their lowest (and V.V)
- It very competitive to get into
- Lots of legal issues, just look at all the ads for solicitors stuk up n hospital walls.

But medicine is a good career path, for me anyway. Ive considered other career paths, but this is the one for me!! The Pros defo outweight the cons!
Reply 7
Helpmepls
Please discuss.
Thanks.

I dont see why we should not go for it.I am going to do it next year.
Reply 8
It's good helping people
Reply 9
lollipop
- You may have to deal with abusive patients
- The pay isnt all that great
- You can't help everyone, which is basically what you want to do afterall
- The hours are long
- The university course is long, and there are post exams too al the way up to consultancy post.
- Its emotionally and physically demanding
- You see people at their lowest (and V.V)
- It very competitive to get into
- Lots of legal issues, just look at all the ads for solicitors stuk up n hospital walls.

But medicine is a good career path, for me anyway. Ive considered other career paths, but this is the one for me!! The Pros defo outweight the cons!

Great post! Totally agree. Being a medic is pretty tough but after all that hard work the results are pretty cool.
Reply 10
I don't understand the point of the question, if you don't want to do medicine, don't. Why do you need to have a load of excuses to justify it?
Reply 11
I read in the paper that one in three doctors have been abused in some way (this includes verbal though). I also think being a doctor for a lot of people is a waste of a talent (assuming only the talented choose medicine). So much stress, paperwork, public scrutiny and the off-key hours, and yet there are others out there who earn much more. I intend to be one of those others (though I'm not sure as what, I want to do a maths degree which can get me employed virtually anywhere).

I reckon medicine is one of those where you have to absolutely want to do it, and be completely dedicated. I don't understand medics for their choice but I have much respect for them and wish them all the best (seems they will need it!).
Reply 12
I'm considering medicine... gonna do some unofficial werk exp and stuff to see if i like it.

just wanna see a balance to my thoughts... i.e. i want to thyink of disadvantages as well as advantages to doing it....
Reply 13
Unregistered
I'm considering medicine... gonna do some unofficial werk exp and stuff to see if i like it.

just wanna see a balance to my thoughts... i.e. i want to thyink of disadvantages as well as advantages to doing it....

Thats the best way. Committing yourself to long study requires a lot of reasearch so doing some work experience is a good idea :smile:.

It's the end goal that most medics look at ie being a doctor! Yeh there are a lot of hurdles and there are 'lighter' options but if you really feel its your 'calling' then you'll do all you can to overcome them.

Latest