The Student Room Group

Leaving childhood home

We have a 4 bedroom house which is going to be sold as soon as the owner comes to buy it. I am so upset about it, my family had this house 3 years before I was born so I always lived here, my whole childhood was in this house, we spent our school holidays, I got lifts to school everyday from nusery september 2004 to september 2019 from it and we did everything in this house. We are moving in to a house which is where we are moving, the new house is nice but its not got the memories, its not been here for my whole childhood and the famlies plan was to keep the current house forever. It is honestly so upsetting, Ive been crying in bed, I havent been myself since they told me this and I was in the car looking through the window at it. I tried to get them to keep it but they dont want it, they are upset as well but they said they need the space and its going to cost too much to have the other house as well. Im literally looking at it now the listing on the estate agents website as Im typing this, its clean looking in good condition and Im just tearing up knowing its going to be gone soon. I know its stupid but its what I grew up, I have so many memories from it and all that. Its just nice house and in a few weeks its going to be someone else’s. I was going to have it as my first car when I pass my test as my first car and park it on the drive.
Original post by Anonymous
We have a 4 bedroom house which is going to be sold as soon as the owner comes to buy it. I am so upset about it, my family had this house 3 years before I was born so I always lived here, my whole childhood was in this house, we spent our school holidays, I got lifts to school everyday from nusery september 2004 to september 2019 from it and we did everything in this house. We are moving in to a house which is where we are moving, the new house is nice but its not got the memories, its not been here for my whole childhood and the famlies plan was to keep the current house forever. It is honestly so upsetting, Ive been crying in bed, I havent been myself since they told me this and I was in the car looking through the window at it. I tried to get them to keep it but they dont want it, they are upset as well but they said they need the space and its going to cost too much to have the other house as well. Im literally looking at it now the listing on the estate agents website as Im typing this, its clean looking in good condition and Im just tearing up knowing its going to be gone soon. I know its stupid but its what I grew up, I have so many memories from it and all that. Its just nice house and in a few weeks its going to be someone else’s. I was going to have it as my first car when I pass my test as my first car and park it on the drive.

It's normal to feel like this. Try and look at it this way - you had a great time there and you've got lots of memories, which you will take with you. Now that chapter of your life has closed, and you can make new memories in a new place. Another family can now move in and make their memories. Someone probably lived in that house before you and made lots of memories themselves. You'll be sad for a while, but eventually you'll let go of this house.
Original post by DrawTheLine
It's normal to feel like this. Try and look at it this way - you had a great time there and you've got lots of memories, which you will take with you. Now that chapter of your life has closed, and you can make new memories in a new place. Another family can now move in and make their memories. Someone probably lived in that house before you and made lots of memories themselves. You'll be sad for a while, but eventually you'll let go of this house.

I agree
I’d absolutely agree with DrawTheLine, really good advice!

To give a personal experience, my family and I moved out of my childhood home a few months ago and I was the exact same as you feel now - I felt sick, I was really anxious and just generally upset. We’ve been in our new house for a couple of months and I feel generally settled. Some things that helped me:
- make your new house as homely as possible, with furniture and posters and decorations (whether from your childhood house or new things)
- remember that those memories will always be there, even if you now live in a different house
- someone else now gets to make lovely memories in that house and you can look forward to creating new ones elsewhere!

It’s definitely normal to feel like that, so don’t be afraid to express your feelings, talk with your family and have a good old cry when you need to, but from experience, I can say it does pass - you’re in the hardest bit, once the move happens, your feelings should improve :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

You've already posted this before.

I know how upsetting it is, but as you don't have a choice in the matter, it's probably best to try to look forward rather than back. You wouldn't probably stay living in your childhood home if you have to move for work etc., so it's good practice for the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending