The Student Room Group

We can still use cash on the bus right?

I'm catching the bus in a bit haven't done that since before lockdown so not sure if we can use cash or not.
Nop unfortunately they are only accepting contactless payment. Is there a possibility that you can use a contactless card, or buy a ticket on a bus app beforehand?
Original post by Anonymusy
I'm catching the bus in a bit haven't done that since before lockdown so not sure if we can use cash or not.

It might depend on the bus company, so check on their website. In my area, the buses are accepting cash but only the exact fare. They prefer you to pay by card.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Nop unfortunately they are only accepting contactless payment. Is there a possibility that you can use a contactless card, or buy a ticket on a bus app beforehand?

I was going to buy a ticket online but I completely forgot about it. I contacted the bus company in my area on Twitter in the morning and asked and they replied quickly and said we can still buy tickets from the bus driver. Then I took the bus an hour later and did buy a ticket with cash. It must depend on where you live. I also thought that all shops are contactless payment but all the shops I've been to do accept cash but some have a limit of how much cash you can spend like primark you can only spend upto £45 because they prefer contactless payment.
I'm in Scotland but yeah they all take cash that i've seen, card is just encouraged.
Reply 5
Original post by DrawTheLine
It might depend on the bus company, so check on their website. In my area, the buses are accepting cash but only the exact fare. They prefer you to pay by card.

It didn't say on the website so I contacted the bus company on Twitter and they said you can still buy tickets from the bus driver which I did when I got the bus.

You have to give the exact fare anyway because they don't give change
(edited 3 years ago)
I was going to buy a ticket online but I completely forgot about it. I contacted the bus company in my area on Twitter in the morning and asked and they replied quickly and said we can still buy tickets from the bus driver. Then I took the bus an hour later and did buy a ticket with cash. It must depend on where you live. I also thought that all shops are contactless payment but all the shops I've been to do accept cash but some have a limit of how much cash you can spend like primark you can only spend upto £45 because they prefer contactless payment.

It depends on the bus company and the shop. The only place I’ve been to that is now completely contactless is a shop on my uni campus.

Quite a lot of people (especially elderly people) don’t have contactless, so most places do accept cash too.
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
I'm in Scotland but yeah they all take cash that i've seen, card is just encouraged.

I'm in England, I was able to use cash when I got the bus a few hours ago. Yeah I think it's like that in most places, you can use cash but they prefer contactless but some people don't have an option they can't use cash
Reply 8
Original post by Desideri
It depends on the bus company and the shop. The only place I’ve been to that is now completely contactless is a shop on my uni campus.

Quite a lot of people (especially elderly people) don’t have contactless, so most places do accept cash too.

That's good, I thought everywhere was contactless but all the shops I've been to accept cash too. I was the only one using cash that I could see, everyone I saw used their card and people were staring at me but I didn't care. There's no way I'm risking using my card, if I get robbed or it gets lost then that will be all my money gone which isn't much to begin with 😭😂
It didn't say on the website so I contacted the bus company on Twitter and they said you can still buy tickets from the bus driver which I did when I got the bus.

You have to give the exact fare anyway because they don't give change

That's good that you found a solution.

The buses where I live previously accepted non-exact fares and gave change before Covid, but they've changed the rules now.
Reply 10
Original post by DrawTheLine
That's good that you found a solution.

The buses where I live previously accepted non-exact fares and gave change before Covid, but they've changed the rules now.

Yeah.

They've never given change in my area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending