The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
But if I go the day I arrive surely there can't be a waiting list? I meant is it open this Saturday.
University of York
York
Reply 21
It is open on Saturday, and it says memberships can be purchased starting Oct 1, so maybe? http://www.york.ac.uk/univ/sports/weight.htm
Reply 22
Snorty
Around £38 for three months. Works out pretty cheap.

Do you have to pay something each time visit as well?

btw - another good gym in the area is Ebor Fitness, down near the river. £150 for a 12-month student membership. They don't have a pool or anything, but have a whole lot more weights than the uni gym.
Reply 23
rock_ten

btw - another good gym in the area is Ebor Fitness, down near the river. £150 for a 12-month student membership. They don't have a pool or anything, but have a whole lot more weights than the uni gym.

How far away is it?
Reply 24
erm, about 10min walk I suppose? You go out onto the Stray through the gate by biology, then walk accross that, through the barracks, straight over the road and head down towards the river but take the last turn on the right before the river path.

http://www.eborfitness.co.uk/

There's a map there on the "Directions" page, but it needs turning pretty much 90 degrees clockwise to line up North/South
Reply 25
rock_ten

No, it's just £38 a month and go as many times as you like. I'll have to have a look at that other gym if it has more weights, thanks.
Reply 26
Snorty
No, it's just £38 a month and go as many times as you like. I'll have to have a look at that other gym if it has more weights, thanks.

loads more weights than the uni gym. It gets crowded in the evenings but if you go during the day you can have it pretty much all to yourself. Or at least it was like that a couple of years ago. There's not much floor space, though, and no designated area to lift from the floor, so it can get a bit cramped when more people around.
Reply 27
How crowded does the Uni Gym get?
Reply 28
anyone tried emperor's fitness?
Reply 29
I never trained there but I knew someone who did, omg!

You can get a free session there, check the website: http://www.emperors.co.uk/
Reply 30
Uni gym is actually pretty decent now, my only vice is no squat rack really. It has dumbbells up to about 40kg and a free weights bench, tbh I'd rather go there and pay £150 for the year than pay £40+ at Nextgen, Ebor's is £150 for a year but is quite a walk away.
Reply 31
_Mazza_
Uni gym is actually pretty decent now, my only vice is no squat rack really. It has dumbbells up to about 40kg and a free weights bench, tbh I'd rather go there and pay £150 for the year than pay £40+ at Nextgen, Ebor's is £150 for a year but is quite a walk away.

Yeah, the university gym is still reasonably priced even though it went up this year, when you compare it to £600 a year at Next Generation. :confused:
You can do pretty much any bodypart you want, although there's no squat rack, like you said.
Reply 32
Are the heavier weights upstairs because when I had a look round I thought there was only one floor so I joined Ebor. But in hindsight that's a long way a way so I'm quite tempted to join the Uni Gym for the 3 months over winter.
Reply 33
Ebor is really close to campus - what way are you trying to get there?

In any case, get a bike of course
Reply 34
rock_ten
Ebor is really close to campus - what way are you trying to get there?

In any case, get a bike of course

Down Heslington Lane onto Broadway and then onto the A-Road pass the army barracks.
Reply 35
Ecno
Down Heslington Lane onto Broadway and then onto the A-Road pass the army barracks.

where are you coming from? If you live on campus then it's usually quicker to go accross the stray, from the entrance outside Biology. Just follow that path right through the barracks and then you come out facing over to Hospital Fields road
Reply 36
rock_ten
where are you coming from? If you live on campus then it's usually quicker to go accross the stray, from the entrance outside Biology. Just follow that path right through the barracks and then you come out facing over to Hospital Fields road

Halifax College
Reply 37
I think it will still be quicker the way I mentioned, check a map and see
Reply 38
you can go to bannatynes or fitness first if next gen or the uni gym are not your cup of tea however they are a bit of a distance from the city centre
Reply 39
OMG, Next Generation any day! Best gym I've ever been a member of!

Seriously, if you can afford it (I think anytime student membership cost me around £46/month, but this was a few years ago) go for NG. You won't regret it...they even have a heated outdoor pool, as well as top-notch cardio and weights sections.

I was also a member of the Barbican gym before (they didn't build the NG until my final year) and that is cheaper and perfectly fine. It's run by the council so looks a bit dated in places and is a bit small, but I thought it was ok.

Latest

Trending

Trending