The Student Room Group

Australia...money??

Hi, I'm spending a few months of my gap year out in Australia staying with a friend and working (hopefully). I was just wondering what do I do about money? Cos when I get paid where do I send the money? Should I open an aussie account when I get there, or use a UK one? Are there any temporary accounts specifically for backpackers and the like?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Open an Aussie account. It's dead easy. I've got one with Westpac setup and havnt even got into the country yet.

Beward though that most aussie banks charge a monthly fee (about £2) for the account.

Also when you get there, apply for a new tax code. Unlike the UK, In australia you can be taxed at the new code right away rather then taxed on the emergency tax rate and then retrospectivly claiming the money back. a much better system imo.
Reply 2
Reue
Also when you get there, apply for a new tax code. Unlike the UK, In australia you can be taxed at the new code right away rather then taxed on the emergency tax rate and then retrospectivly claiming the money back. a much better system imo.

Ummmm..what does tax code mean, and how do I get a new one? Sorry if that sounds a bit dense. Also, did you call them or apply online for an account? Thanks again.

edit: which account did you open btw?

Latest