The Student Room Group

Nuclear Graduate Programme

Scroll to see replies

They said they were very impressed with her performance, and wanted to schedule an informal chat to discuss the finer points of the role. The dates offered were between 2nd April to 5th April.
Original post by katynais6
I did, not heard anything yet though have you?

Unfortunately not yet either. I'm hoping they'll get back to us within the next few days, but I've no idea if they're even planning on accompanying rejections with a phone call
Original post by SmashThatMFLike
Unfortunately not yet either. I'm hoping they'll get back to us within the next few days, but I've no idea if they're even planning on accompanying rejections with a phone call

I don't get how they decide the sponsors, it seems from this thread that it's only the ONR who have made their choices? I assume they would take people who applied to say the science and engineering disciplines too, not just from specific disciplines such as project management. I just don't know. When I had my interview they said they don't know what specific sponsors would sponsor my discipline. It's odd. I think it's all discipline based.
I don't get how they decide the sponsors, it seems from this thread that it's only the ONR who have made their choices? I assume they would take people who applied to say the science and engineering disciplines too, not just from specific disciplines such as project management. I just don't know. When I had my interview they said they don't know what specific sponsors would sponsor my discipline. It's odd. I think it's all discipline based.

I know very little about the sponsorship process unfortunately. I hadn't even heard of the ONR before I read this thread, to be honest. Previously, I was under the assumption that there were 3 agencies involved (Nuclear Restoration Services, Nuclear Waste Services, Sellafield Ltd) because that's what it says on the government website.

Whether or not those are involved in any capacity with sponsoring candidates is beyond me. All I know is that during my first interview, they never questioned the fact that I brought up those 3 public bodies as sponsors. I can't even really tell if they're collaborating to pick suitable candidates or if it's all done separately by each individual agency (hence the delay).
I know very little about the sponsorship process unfortunately. I hadn't even heard of the ONR before I read this thread, to be honest. Previously, I was under the assumption that there were 3 agencies involved (Nuclear Restoration Services, Nuclear Waste Services, Sellafield Ltd) because that's what it says on the government website.
Whether or not those are involved in any capacity with sponsoring candidates is beyond me. All I know is that during my first interview, they never questioned the fact that I brought up those 3 public bodies as sponsors. I can't even really tell if they're collaborating to pick suitable candidates or if it's all done separately by each individual agency (hence the delay).

I kept hearing mixed things. At the assessment centre they said only the sponsors here today will be hiring but they have a bunch more sponsors have they had more assessment centres? (doesn't seem like it so how do they pick 😂). I honestly think some of it is just down to luck it's difficult to filter 500+ candidates especially when for my technical interview it was done by none of the sponsor organisations.

I get what you are saying, I just don't know, all I know is that some disciplines are hearing first and some sponsors seem to be picking from a certain group of disciplines that are most related possibly. I hope they reply soon as it's just becoming draining. I had my hopes on this but no longer sure if people are recieving offers.
I kept hearing mixed things. At the assessment centre they said only the sponsors here today will be hiring but they have a bunch more sponsors have they had more assessment centres? (doesn't seem like it so how do they pick 😂). I honestly think some of it is just down to luck it's difficult to filter 500+ candidates especially when for my technical interview it was done by none of the sponsor organisations.
I get what you are saying, I just don't know, all I know is that some disciplines are hearing first and some sponsors seem to be picking from a certain group of disciplines that are most related possibly. I hope they reply soon as it's just becoming draining. I had my hopes on this but no longer sure if people are recieving offers.

Well, I'm glad you took the initiative to ask relevant questions. I didn't think I had any then, but I have far too many now.

I didn't actually know the sponsors present at the centre were the ones that would be hiring I really thought they were just there to advertise themselves haha. I ought to have paid more attention or done more research beforehand, I suppose.

From what I recall in the email they sent us prior to the event, another assessment centre was scheduled to occur the day following ours for a similar scheme. God knows how many candidates they're having to filter through, in that case.

I feel the same way about you regarding the response time. I graduated last summer and job searching is soul-crushing at the best of times. Wouldn't be as bad if employers didn't regularly take eternity and a day to provide updates 😵*💫
Well, I'm glad you took the initiative to ask relevant questions. I didn't think I had any then, but I have far too many now.
I didn't actually know the sponsors present at the centre were the ones that would be hiring I really thought they were just there to advertise themselves haha. I ought to have paid more attention or done more research beforehand, I suppose.
From what I recall in the email they sent us prior to the event, another assessment centre was scheduled to occur the day following ours for a similar scheme. God knows how many candidates they're having to filter through, in that case.
I feel the same way about you regarding the response time. I graduated last summer and job searching is soul-crushing at the best of times. Wouldn't be as bad if employers didn't regularly take eternity and a day to provide updates 😵*💫

It doesn't make sense though, as they have like 15 sponsors and only 5-6 of them were there. The group that were there before us (the day before not following ours) I believe were those who applied for the NDA scheme (I also ticked to apply for that so I have no idea how that works either 😄), so everyone who was shortlisted for nuclear graduates we were all together.

I feel for you, I just don't want to graduate without having a job secured and this scheme it just feels like you need a bit of luck to get the job because realistically how do you filter 500 candidates in a fair way. There could be someone who's better than another candidate but just applied to the 'wrong' discipline etc. It's tough.
It doesn't make sense though, as they have like 15 sponsors and only 5-6 of them were there. The group that were there before us (the day before not following ours) I believe were those who applied for the NDA scheme (I also ticked to apply for that so I have no idea how that works either 😄), so everyone who was shortlisted for nuclear graduates we were all together.
I feel for you, I just don't want to graduate without having a job secured and this scheme it just feels like you need a bit of luck to get the job because realistically how do you filter 500 candidates in a fair way. There could be someone who's better than another candidate but just applied to the 'wrong' discipline etc. It's tough.

There was a group present the day before us? I was completely unaware of that. I was just going off of the email that said NDA group graduates would be assessed on March 5, and Nuclear Graduates on March 6. To be honest, I have no idea what the distinction is either. I asked about this in my first interview and the interviewer gave me a hand-wavy response that I've completely forgotten.

Do you know what exactly it is you applied for? I applied for the role of Graduate Chemist (Technical) with the NDA group. I don't think I even saw a vacancy for the Nuclear Graduates one.

I agree that schemes like this are a bit clunky. I applied at the beginning of December and it may very well be around the start of April that I even receive a decision at this point ahah.
There was a group present the day before us? I was completely unaware of that. I was just going off of the email that said NDA group graduates would be assessed on March 5, and Nuclear Graduates on March 6. To be honest, I have no idea what the distinction is either. I asked about this in my first interview and the interviewer gave me a hand-wavy response that I've completely forgotten.
Do you know what exactly it is you applied for? I applied for the role of Graduate Chemist (Technical) with the NDA group. I don't think I even saw a vacancy for the Nuclear Graduates one.
I agree that schemes like this are a bit clunky. I applied at the beginning of December and it may very well be around the start of April that I even receive a decision at this point ahah.

I believe either I misunderstood you or, you me but yes there were two graduate groups NDA and then Nuclear Graduates. I'm just saying that I applied to both but only got shortlisted for nuclear graduates (what about NDA though haha), and that there was only one assessment centre day for nuclear graduates on the 6th and if all the sponsors aren't present how do they decide, hence why I don't believe what I was told.

As for the NDA I have no idea what I applied to there was just a button which said click this if you also want to be considered for the NDA roles.

I do wish they told everyone at the same time, it doesn't feel nice knowing others have been contacted haha. I'm actually so nervous waiting now haha.
I believe either I misunderstood you or, you me but yes there were two graduate groups NDA and then Nuclear Graduates. I'm just saying that I applied to both but only got shortlisted for nuclear graduates (what about NDA though haha), and that there was only one assessment centre day for nuclear graduates on the 6th and if all the sponsors aren't present how do they decide, hence why I don't believe what I was told.
As for the NDA I have no idea what I applied to there was just a button which said click this if you also want to be considered for the NDA roles.
I do wish they told everyone at the same time, it doesn't feel nice knowing others have been contacted haha. I'm actually so nervous waiting now haha.

I see what you're getting at now thank you for the clarification.

Given what you've just mentioned, I believe we were assessed on different days. I was there on March 5 (with the NDA group), and I presume you were then there the following day on March 6 since you were shortlisted for Nuclear Graduates.

Regardless, I agree with you in that it makes little sense for them to be picking candidates holistically if some sponsors were only present on one of either days. As I mentioned before, the NDA group and Nuclear Graduates schemes don't even seem that different, so as you say it's likely a number of people may get shafted solely for having applied to the "wrong" pathway.

I ultimately don't understand what's taking them so long; surely they would have made the decisions shortly after the centres? No chance they'd remember specific people's performances weeks after the fact. The wait is a killer I doubt I'd be as antsy as I am now if they'd informed us within a few days.
I see what you're getting at now thank you for the clarification.
Given what you've just mentioned, I believe we were assessed on different days. I was there on March 5 (with the NDA group), and I presume you were then there the following day on March 6 since you were shortlisted for Nuclear Graduates.
Regardless, I agree with you in that it makes little sense for them to be picking candidates holistically if some sponsors were only present on one of either days. As I mentioned before, the NDA group and Nuclear Graduates schemes don't even seem that different, so as you say it's likely a number of people may get shafted solely for having applied to the "wrong" pathway.
I ultimately don't understand what's taking them so long; surely they would have made the decisions shortly after the centres? No chance they'd remember specific people's performances weeks after the fact. The wait is a killer I doubt I'd be as antsy as I am now if they'd informed us within a few days.

Oh I thought you were also being assessed for nuclear graduates. I'm confused now did they have that massive NUCLEAR GRADUATES sign 🤣 where they spoke to everyone in the main hall or was it NDA for you?

I'm confused so did you have sponsors on your day which weren't just from the NDA, i'm also confused does the NDA also have disciplines too? I guess that makes sense. Although I assume for you it would be a little easier to assess you all as you're still all under the NDA unlike the nuclear graduate scheme. I don't understand the NDA scheme so do you also get sponsored, also were you guys also still considered for nuclear graduates.

The schemes are different with the NDA scheme I believe you're working for the NDA in their 2 year scheme, whereas in nuclear graduates we have three secondments?

But yes either way, I am very curious to how they assess us, I spoke to my housemates and like I said before realistically it's just not possible with 500+ candidates for nuclear graduates alone, will need a bit of luck. I know some people in the nuclear graduate scheme have heard back if their sponsor is ONR. That's why i'm feeling a bit worried about my chances, no idea if they have sent offers to anyone in the NDA group.
Oh I thought you were also being assessed for nuclear graduates. I'm confused now did they have that massive NUCLEAR GRADUATES sign 🤣 where they spoke to everyone in the main hall or was it NDA for you?
I'm confused so did you have sponsors on your day which weren't just from the NDA, i'm also confused does the NDA also have disciplines too? I guess that makes sense. Although I assume for you it would be a little easier to assess you all as you're still all under the NDA unlike the nuclear graduate scheme. I don't understand the NDA scheme so do you also get sponsored, also were you guys also still considered for nuclear graduates.
The schemes are different with the NDA scheme I believe you're working for the NDA in their 2 year scheme, whereas in nuclear graduates we have three secondments?
But yes either way, I am very curious to how they assess us, I spoke to my housemates and like I said before realistically it's just not possible with 500+ candidates for nuclear graduates alone, will need a bit of luck. I know some people in the nuclear graduate scheme have heard back if their sponsor is ONR. That's why i'm feeling a bit worried about my chances, no idea if they have sent offers to anyone in the NDA group.

I take it we were both in the same venue (Manchester Central Convention Centre)? There were NDA group banners everywhere. I don't recall seeing anything regarding Nuclear Graduates (unless I have selective memory, which is also possible). All of the conversation seemed to revolve around the NDA - the volunteers' shirts were even imprinted with its logo.

I don't remember seeing much in the way of sponsors at mine, if I'm honest. There was a Boston Dynamics stall which was constantly busy, and then some surrounding organisations which seemed to be oriented around inclusivity and discipline-specific assurance in the nuclear sector.

I'm quite sure that the NDA has disciplines too. I spoke to different people who'd separately applied for chemical engineering, geography, and physics/engineering. I'd be puzzled as to how they'd accommodate all of them within one discipline.

From what I read on the website, the NDA group also host three secondments a 12 month one followed by two 6 month ones. I have no idea if we were considered within the same batch as Nuclear Graduates, though.

I did feel that there was an absurd number of people at my centre. At least 200, which was way more than the dozen or so I'd expected from forums online regarding selection prior to an assessment centre. My only hope is that they're hiring a large proportion of the total turnout, because my chances are rather close to zero otherwise.
Did anyone get a call today? Starting to feel a bit pessimistic about my chances at this point haha
Original post by Sammy512
Did anyone get a call today? Starting to feel a bit pessimistic about my chances at this point haha

Nothing here unfortunately either, feeling exactly the same way lol. Which pathway did you apply to?

Nothing here! I wouldn't worry, I'm pretty sure they're gonna let us know either way!

I applied for physics btw.
Oh ok cool, yeah youre right theyll get in touch one way or the other anyway. I applied for the hazards pathway
I take it we were both in the same venue (Manchester Central Convention Centre)? There were NDA group banners everywhere. I don't recall seeing anything regarding Nuclear Graduates (unless I have selective memory, which is also possible). All of the conversation seemed to revolve around the NDA - the volunteers' shirts were even imprinted with its logo.
I don't remember seeing much in the way of sponsors at mine, if I'm honest. There was a Boston Dynamics stall which was constantly busy, and then some surrounding organisations which seemed to be oriented around inclusivity and discipline-specific assurance in the nuclear sector.
I'm quite sure that the NDA has disciplines too. I spoke to different people who'd separately applied for chemical engineering, geography, and physics/engineering. I'd be puzzled as to how they'd accommodate all of them within one discipline.
From what I read on the website, the NDA group also host three secondments a 12 month one followed by two 6 month ones. I have no idea if we were considered within the same batch as Nuclear Graduates, though.
I did feel that there was an absurd number of people at my centre. At least 200, which was way more than the dozen or so I'd expected from forums online regarding selection prior to an assessment centre. My only hope is that they're hiring a large proportion of the total turnout, because my chances are rather close to zero otherwise.

You only had 200, thats not so bad? I believe they are taking around 120 for the NDA scheme from what I heard from a guy who has been on the scheme or has done one year I can't remember. However nuclear graduates had 500 so I assume you might of had a lot more. I also didn't know that the NDA had secondments too.
Original post by Haiesharry
Nothing here! I wouldn't worry, I'm pretty sure they're gonna let us know either way!
I applied for physics btw.
Still waiting too, surely tomorrow has to be the last day as they said within 10 days and friday is a bank holiday.

same :frown:
You only had 200, thats not so bad? I believe they are taking around 120 for the NDA scheme from what I heard from a guy who has been on the scheme or has done one year I can't remember. However nuclear graduates had 500 so I assume you might of had a lot more. I also didn't know that the NDA had secondments too.

500 is insanely stiff competition, no two ways about it. Again, I was even baffled that there were more than a couple dozen people at the NDA one. 200 was a conservative guess; I reckon I may have undercounted.

Either way, I can't say I'm confident that they'll get back to us even before Friday to be completely honest 🤣

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending