The Student Room Group

MPP at Blavatnik School of Government

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alienum Puto
Is the Waitlist pending the rejection of offers and does the university notify you of where on the waitlist you appear? (i.e number 5 on the waiting list pending offer rejections?)

I was responding to Forum Helper 8’s illuminating contribution above. I was trying to understand the Waitlist concept and how it features in the decision emails. To answer your question, I haven’t received a decision yet. I suspect they may start rolling out tomorrow which will be exactly 8 weeks since the 08 January deadline for applications.
Original post by Shreekar
Yes, precisely.

Did they send anything else apart from that email? They haven’t communicated with me since then. Should I be worried?

No, do not worry. They will come back to everyone in the next 2 weeks. So let's wait and find out.
Is the Waitlist pending the rejection of offers and does the university notify you of where on the waitlist you appear? (i.e number 5 on the waiting list pending offer rejections?)

They will not tell you what number you are on the waitlist. Just a generic email saying you are on the waitlist and if you do not hear at all in the next couple of months, it means your application has been rejected. This is a real killer in my opinion, because it gives people a sense of false hope.
I was responding to Forum Helper 8’s illuminating contribution above. I was trying to understand the Waitlist concept and how it features in the decision emails. To answer your question, I haven’t received a decision yet. I suspect they may start rolling out tomorrow which will be exactly 8 weeks since the 08 January deadline for applications.

No one will receive any offers until at least the 10th of march. That I know.
Original post by Forum Helper 8
They will not tell you what number you are on the waitlist. Just a generic email saying you are on the waitlist and if you do not hear at all in the next couple of months, it means your application has been rejected. This is a real killer in my opinion, because it gives people a sense of false hope.

Oh wow, I didn’t know there was such a thing as a waitlist. I’m sure it prolongs people’s anxiety as well, particularly when it comes to the issue of securing funding. Thank you so much for sharing!
Alright. Thanks @Forum Helper 8 So let’s wait till 10th March
I just saw the new update Oxford posted yesterday about 992 Applications! a 34% percent increase from last year for only 120 places. So around 12% of people will be admitted. "In light of the high number of applications this year, we are acutely aware that more applicants than ever will be disappointed with the outcome of their application." Who else suddenly does not think they will get in..... :frown:

update posted here ---> http://blogs.bsg.ox.ac.uk/2021/03/03/admissions-update-what-to-expect-in-the-coming-weeks/
Original post by envirostudent21
I’m graduating this year from undergrad from a no-name uni, have a upper second class honours, was involved in political campaigns in my home country for many years and worked a bunch while studying... but I don’t think I have a strong chance of getting in. 34% increase in applicants this year?! 992 applications? It’s not happening.

Hello, best of luck with your application.

How old are you? 21? What work experience do you have? Where else did you apply and do you have any offers?

Thanks
Hello, best of luck with your application.

How old are you? 21? What work experience do you have? Where else did you apply and do you have any offers?

Thanks

I'm 24 -- I went to a United World College so I have 2 extra years of schooling. I was also accepted to Columbia and I'm waiting to hear back from Cambridge and another program at Oxford.
I'm 24 -- I went to a United World College so I have 2 extra years of schooling. I was also accepted to Columbia and I'm waiting to hear back from Cambridge and another program at Oxford.

Congratulations on your offer from Columbia! IVY league right there. You don't need to worry at all then, LUCKY YOU. What stage are you at for Cambridge? When did you apply? Most people I know have received their acceptions or rejections for the Public Policy course now.

What other program at Oxford for curiosity? How come you didn't apply to Harvard?

I am thinking I should have put a few safeties (easy universities to get into) like UCL or Kings College on my application...
Reply 70
No one will receive any offers until at least the 10th of march. That I know.

Why not before 10 March? Is your guess based on when the results were released in previous years?
Original post by pj2294
Why not before 10 March? Is your guess based on when the results were released in previous years?

The Blatvatnik school always hands out decisions in the final week. So from 11th the best of the best will receive their offers. Generally, this will last until 15-16. Then all the rejections will be poured out from 16-19th march.
Congratulations on your offer from Columbia! IVY league right there. You don't need to worry at all then, LUCKY YOU. What stage are you at for Cambridge? When did you apply? Most people I know have received their acceptions or rejections for the Public Policy course now.

What other program at Oxford for curiosity? How come you didn't apply to Harvard?

I am thinking I should have put a few safeties (easy universities to get into) like UCL or Kings College on my application...

Thank you, I honestly can’t believe it happened! I am on the waitlist for Cambridge so I’m not very optimistic about that... I also applied to the MSc. in Nature, Society and Environmental Governance at Oxford. I didn’t apply to Harvard because I didn’t think I stood a chance and didn’t want to pay the application fee the profiles of people who’ve gone to HKS are incredible and I was too intimidated to apply. Safeties are a good idea but feel proud of yourself for aiming as high as you dreamed of aiming; no matter what happens, that’s such a brave thing to do.
Thank you, I honestly can’t believe it happened! I am on the waitlist for Cambridge so I’m not very optimistic about that... I also applied to the MSc. in Nature, Society and Environmental Governance at Oxford. I didn’t apply to Harvard because I didn’t think I stood a chance and didn’t want to pay the application fee the profiles of people who’ve gone to HKS are incredible and I was too intimidated to apply. Safeties are a good idea but feel proud of yourself for aiming as high as you dreamed of aiming; no matter what happens, that’s such a brave thing to do.

You got waitlisted at Cambridge! That is awesome! You are clearly a very strong candidate then! You must have a couple of years of work experience under your belt then :smile: If I was you I would have just gone for Harvard anyway, you never know.

Thank you! I am not confident at all at the outcome, and especially after seeing there has been a 34% increase in applications this year, my hopes went down even further. But then again, it's not a surprise everyone wants to study right now given the current economic climate. Just need to figure out what to do with my life now after graduation. Especially as the job market is so dead right now.... AH... LIFE....

Hey, sorry to butt into your conversation, I was just lurking here cause I applied to public policy at Cambridge. May I ask, if you got waitlisted for Cambridge for public policy? Did they email you?
Reply 75
Any other thread where Oxford MPP applicants are more active? We're just days from the result day but hardly any noise here.
Original post by pj2294
Any other thread where Oxford MPP applicants are more active? We're just days from the result day but hardly any noise here.

Not that I'm aware of... :s-smilie:
Original post by politicspro
Not that I'm aware of... :s-smilie:

Pardon me for asking but what are the expectations in terms of noise? I am certain everybody is anxious here and I have checked Gradcafe to see whether people have started receiving decision emails for the MPP programme but it turns out that it's still the same. I have been anxious and I have hardly had up to 5 hours of sleep since March 1st and I find myself also refreshing this page to see whether anyone might have gotten any decision. So really people are dealing with their anxieties in different ways
Reply 78
Original post by Enkaysonia
Pardon me for asking but what are the expectations in terms of noise? I am certain everybody is anxious here and I have checked Gradcafe to see whether people have started receiving decision emails for the MPP programme but it turns out that it's still the same. I have been anxious and I have hardly had up to 5 hours of sleep since March 1st and I find myself also refreshing this page to see whether anyone might have gotten any decision. So really people are dealing with their anxieties in different ways

By noise I mean just any chit-chat. Last year's Oxford MPP thread was buzzing with activity this time of the year.
Reply 79
Less chit-chat but so many more applicants and the competition seems fierce this year. It can go either way, so I'm keeping my expectations low.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending