The Student Room Group
Reply 1
check out individual medical school websites, some make it quite clear u need A2 chem, and some say u onlu need AS, as long as you have A2 bio. There are so many combos, just have to look at each med school. Having said that, most med schs require u to have 2 science subs and one other at A2.
Reply 2
Definitely Chemistry, probably Biology too. I assume you mean A levels? Check on ucas' website for details.

http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/cs2002/StateId/ShU10kg0GepcuyR0s2qjrtU5VbifE-3UK2/HAHTpage/cs2002.Hsindex2.run?s=427&w=Medicine&p=Y&t=303&pn=52
Reply 3
Unregistered
if i want to do medicine when im older what subjects would i have to take?

#chem and #Biology + one other academic subject - at least 2 at grade A
Reply 4
Unregistered
if i want to do medicine when im older what subjects would i have to take?

Chemistry to full A-Level, Biology to at least AS, maths or physics at A-Level (for most decent unis), and if you're really good, one other. Psychology or PE might add to or reinforce some of the biology, English or Economics are very 'marketable' where unis are concerned. Plus the extra one may give you another option should it not work out with medicine (god forbid).

Hope it helps, good luck!
Reply 5
there are so many thread like this one. Although its good to get ppls views etc, but at the end of the day-don't COMPLETELY rely on the info here! And yea, for med school, it usually 2 science subjects and one other vigorous subject.
At the end of the day - You really need to go off and flick thru some prospectuses!

l x
Reply 6
ZJuwelH
Chemistry to full A-Level, Biology to at least AS, maths or physics at A-Level (for most decent unis), and if you're really good, one other. Psychology or PE might add to or reinforce some of the biology, English or Economics are very 'marketable' where unis are concerned. Plus the extra one may give you another option should it not work out with medicine (god forbid).

You need Biology to full A level and don't waste your time with psychology it is not regarded as an academically riogorous subject. Biology A level is compulsory for Birmingham and Nottingham - it is only common sense to do biology if you want to be a doctor
Reply 7
Unregistered
You need Biology to full A level and don't waste your time with psychology it is not regarded as an academically riogorous subject. Biology A level is compulsory for Birmingham and Nottingham - it is only common sense to do biology if you want to be a doctor

Eh, I always thought they preferred it to only AS level since the first 2.5 years of the course is pure biology. At least that was my understanding from my many medically-minded mates.
Most of the Uni's only ask for Chemistry. Some of them do ask for Biology to AS Level, and some ask for it to A2 level. To be safe, do both Chemistry and Biology, and then do something totally different, such as French or Art maybe. I was stupid and took Physics, Maths and Psychology as well as Biology and Chemistry. I dropped Maths and Psychology and now do 3 Science A-levels...which makes me look like a total science nerd! That's not true though!

So in conclusion, do Chemistry, do Biology and for gods sake, don't do Physics or Maths! (You can do for AS if you really want, but add something non-sciency to the equation)
Reply 9
thanks, so assuming i got the grades and i took chem, bio pe and history i could get in? and y do u need chem but not bio? probably a stupid question but i thought id ask
ZJuwelH

not all ask for chemistry at full a-level anymore, cambridge only ask to AS. But if you don't do chem to full, then u probably need bio to full, and vice versa.

Latest