The Student Room Group

Fitness to Practice advice

Hi all - basically I am asking for some advice.

I am currently on placement in a CMHT but did a bank shift on an acute MH inpatient ward. I came across a female with a severe learning disability who was incredibly challenging and thought it would be a useful scenario to reflect on for the EU directives portfolio. I accessed the patients notes 45 times in a week. Some of this was for the reflection piece and being honest, some was to see what strategies were working and what was not. I know the access was excessive but I can assure everyone there was no malice in it, I just wanted to learn. After I was told this was inappropriate, I did not access the electronic record again.

I have been reported to the University and now have an ongoing FTP procedure. Can anyone advise me on this? I am scared I am going to be withdrawn from the course when really I just wanted to help that patient and patients with a similar diagnosis. I understand now it is a breach of confidentiality and respect but I believe my intentions were good and at the time didn't even think of this, naive really. Any advice on the matter or on the likely outcome would be appreciated.

TIA - Stay safe.
Reply 1
as you have discovered patients notes are highly confidential. accessing them for any other purposes is extremely not allowed. you would have needed the ward managers ok the patients ok and the data controllers if competent and or their representative. all you can do is explain what you were doing and there was no intent. i think it will come down on to what they view it has. if they look it as a students over keenness they may warn you not to repeat it. however if they look at it as a clear breach of policy then your could be removed.
i hope they look at it as the first. however you did breach their right to confidentiality and that is incredibly serious. sometimes its better to invent your patient than use a real one.
Reply 2
Original post by paub
as you have discovered patients notes are highly confidential. accessing them for any other purposes is extremely not allowed. you would have needed the ward managers ok the patients ok and the data controllers if competent and or their representative. all you can do is explain what you were doing and there was no intent. i think it will come down on to what they view it has. if they look it as a students over keenness they may warn you not to repeat it. however if they look at it as a clear breach of policy then your could be removed.
i hope they look at it as the first. however you did breach their right to confidentiality and that is incredibly serious. sometimes its better to invent your patient than use a real one.

Thank you for your honest response. I'm well aware of the severity but definitely was going trying to become a more well rounded nurse. If I'm lucky enough, I shall know for next time
I don’t know how the fitness to practice works etc at universities but if you explain your intentions etc hopefully they will see it form your perspective etc and not penalise you for it
Reply 4
Original post by Blackstarr
I don’t know how the fitness to practice works etc at universities but if you explain your intentions etc hopefully they will see it form your perspective etc and not penalise you for it

I am willing to have any punishment other than being withdrawn. We will see. Thank you for your response
What was your outcome?
Original post by Lewis1710
I am willing to have any punishment other than being withdrawn. We will see. Thank you for your response

What was the outcome?
Original post by Mercy Rose
What was the outcome?

The OP hasn't posted since this

Latest

Trending

Trending