The Student Room Group

Cambridge Anglo Saxon Norse and Celtic (ASNC) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I have an offer too, but to Trinity!!!! Ahhh I'm so excited!
Original post by sydnisan
I got an offer to do ASNAC at St Catharine's, but so far I haven't been able to find anybody else who's received an offer for ASNAC.

I GOT AN OFFER! From Caius college!!
Original post by niadarlington
I GOT AN OFFER! From Caius college!!

Ahh congrats!! I'm so excited to actually be doing ASNaC next year (provided I get the grades)
Congratulations everyone, I got an offer from Murray Edwards!! Super excited!!😁
Original post by delusion_al

Congratulations!! :smile:
Original post by delusion_al

Yayy!! Congratulations 😄😄
SO what papers would you all pick?
Hey people, don't know if anyone still looks at this thread but what did you get in your gcses? Sorry about opening old threads
Original post by punkbreath
Hey people, don't know if anyone still looks at this thread but what did you get in your gcses? Sorry about opening old threads

Hey, current asnac student here! Gcse grades really don't matter as long as you do reasonably okay (I think what Cambridge ask for is 5A-A* minimum). In asnac especially they're looking for enthusiasm and that you genuinely want to take the course rather than how much you know, so a good personal statement is going to count for a lot more than gcses or AS levels (which I messed up quite spectacularly...).

It's a really great subject and I'd highly recommend applying, and feel free to message me if you have any other questions :smile:
Reply 229
hello all!
i'm in year 12, planning to apply for ASNC 2019 entry. i've read up on the degree and know that there are no specific subject requirements, but it is helpful to have studied history, english, and/or a modern language. i'm not studying history or english at a-level but my gcse grades were A for history, 7 for eng lang and 6 for eng lit. my a-level subjects are maths, french, economics and sociology. i completed my spanish a-level with a grade A in 2017.
i'm super passionate about old english, anglo-saxon history and palaeography (specifically glossing, but i do love everything palaeography entails to a pretty high degree!!). i also have a curiosity for medieval welsh and history related around wales, and latin; i already know what 6 topicts i'd choose out of the 10 offered in ASNC!
i'm currently self-teaching old english and i'm having an absolute blast.

i have a few questions, if anyone is still around on this thread:

1. should i do spanish a-level again in summer 2019? since the spec has changed i'm not sure whether my a-level is still relevant.

2. i'm interested in the following colleges: jesus, christ's, trinity, catz and st. john's. which one would you recommend for me to apply to? i understand that it is not common to have more than one ASNaC in each college year group- i'm more concerned about which college has better ASNC learning resources/a generally nice study atmosphere.

3. what are my chances of getting into ASNC at cambridge? it's quite a unique subject and from what i can tell, no other unis offer anything quite like it. i'm really invested in getting on this course because it seems to be exactly what i want and love.

4. in case i don't get into cambridge, can anyone suggest other similar courses (study of old english is a must) at other universities in or around london?

thank you! :smile: also, if anyone is planning to apply for ASNC 2019, please reply! i'm interested to know more about fellow enthusiasts since i am the only person i currently know that is interested in all things ASNC.
Original post by lances
hello all!
i'm in year 12, planning to apply for ASNC 2019 entry. i've read up on the degree and know that there are no specific subject requirements, but it is helpful to have studied history, english, and/or a modern language. i'm not studying history or english at a-level but my gcse grades were A for history, 7 for eng lang and 6 for eng lit. my a-level subjects are maths, french, economics and sociology. i completed my spanish a-level with a grade A in 2017.
i'm super passionate about old english, anglo-saxon history and palaeography (specifically glossing, but i do love everything palaeography entails to a pretty high degree!!). i also have a curiosity for medieval welsh and history related around wales, and latin; i already know what 6 topicts i'd choose out of the 10 offered in ASNC!
i'm currently self-teaching old english and i'm having an absolute blast.

i have a few questions, if anyone is still around on this thread:

1. should i do spanish a-level again in summer 2019? since the spec has changed i'm not sure whether my a-level is still relevant.

2. i'm interested in the following colleges: jesus, christ's, trinity, catz and st. john's. which one would you recommend for me to apply to? i understand that it is not common to have more than one ASNaC in each college year group- i'm more concerned about which college has better ASNC learning resources/a generally nice study atmosphere.

3. what are my chances of getting into ASNC at cambridge? it's quite a unique subject and from what i can tell, no other unis offer anything quite like it. i'm really invested in getting on this course because it seems to be exactly what i want and love.

4. in case i don't get into cambridge, can anyone suggest other similar courses (study of old english is a must) at other universities in or around london?

thank you! :smile: also, if anyone is planning to apply for ASNC 2019, please reply! i'm interested to know more about fellow enthusiasts since i am the only person i currently know that is interested in all things ASNC.

Hi :smile: I'm the current Access Officer for ASNaC at Cambridge, so if you have any other questions (this applies to anyone), feel free to send me a message and I will try my best to reply.

Current ASNaCs come from a myriad of backgrounds with almost every A level (or otherwise) combination possible. It is really the case with ASNaC that all that is being looked for is a curiosity for the subject and a willingness to learn :smile:

It's great to hear that you are enjoying reading up on ASNaC-y stuff! When I arrived I knew practically nothing, though, and I still have found the course really enjoyable. So don't let fears of not knowing enough deter you at all.

To specifically answer your questions;

1) If you acquired an A level qualification then it will still be relevant regardless of whether or not the specification has changed. It might not be particularly beneficial to spend your time re-doing something you have already done, either. However, if you are still curious about your subject choices I suggest you consult with a HE+ adviser or lecturer. The grade requirements are A*AA so as long as that is achieved/predicted in some way, this should still be fine.

2) Choose whichever college you like best ! In terms of resources, the ASNaC section of the English library has pretty much everything you need so you don't need to worry about that. Just pick one that you think would suit you most, personally!
I chose my college based on the prettiness of the library so it really doesn't matter (like at all).

3) You can look at past application statistics via https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

However, statistics don't mean everything, and the only way you have no hope of getting in is if you don't apply. If you are meant to be at Cambridge then you will inevitably end up here. BUT regardless, that is never a reflection of your personal worth.

4) While there is, unfortunately, a lack of ASNaC based degrees, there are some variations of English/history courses out there. If it is the English side you are more inclined towards, I suggest looking at the University of York, I believe Nottingham as well, and St Andrews?? Otherwise, Scandinavian studies is offered at Edinburgh and UCL though I don't think those include Old English. I am not certain, though, and so I recommend looking at their respective websites and having a nose at their courses in detail.

I hope this helps,

Nia
Original post by lances
4. in case i don't get into cambridge, can anyone suggest other similar courses (study of old english is a must) at other universities in or around london?.

Original post by aao14986
Otherwise, Scandinavian studies is offered at Edinburgh and UCL though I don't think those include Old English. I am not certain, though, and so I recommend looking at their respective websites and having a nose at their courses in detail.

You can combine Scandinavian Studies with English at UCL (via the Modern Languages Plus BA), which allows you take take both Old Norse and Old English, as well as a modern Scandinavian language. :smile:
Reply 232
Original post by aao14986
Hi :smile: I'm the current Access Officer for ASNaC at Cambridge, so if you have any other questions (this applies to anyone), feel free to send me a message and I will try my best to reply.

Current ASNaCs come from a myriad of backgrounds with almost every A level (or otherwise) combination possible. It is really the case with ASNaC that all that is being looked for is a curiosity for the subject and a willingness to learn :smile:

It's great to hear that you are enjoying reading up on ASNaC-y stuff! When I arrived I knew practically nothing, though, and I still have found the course really enjoyable. So don't let fears of not knowing enough deter you at all.

To specifically answer your questions;

1) If you acquired an A level qualification then it will still be relevant regardless of whether or not the specification has changed. It might not be particularly beneficial to spend your time re-doing something you have already done, either. However, if you are still curious about your subject choices I suggest you consult with a HE+ adviser or lecturer. The grade requirements are A*AA so as long as that is achieved/predicted in some way, this should still be fine.

2) Choose whichever college you like best ! In terms of resources, the ASNaC section of the English library has pretty much everything you need so you don't need to worry about that. Just pick one that you think would suit you most, personally!
I chose my college based on the prettiness of the library so it really doesn't matter (like at all).

3) You can look at past application statistics via https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

However, statistics don't mean everything, and the only way you have no hope of getting in is if you don't apply. If you are meant to be at Cambridge then you will inevitably end up here. BUT regardless, that is never a reflection of your personal worth.

4) While there is, unfortunately, a lack of ASNaC based degrees, there are some variations of English/history courses out there. If it is the English side you are more inclined towards, I suggest looking at the University of York, I believe Nottingham as well, and St Andrews?? Otherwise, Scandinavian studies is offered at Edinburgh and UCL though I don't think those include Old English. I am not certain, though, and so I recommend looking at their respective websites and having a nose at their courses in detail.

I hope this helps,

Nia

Hello Nia! Thank you for taking the time to write this super helpful and detailed answer, I really appreciate it. I've asked at my current school about my existing Spanish A-Level, and they said it should be okay too, so I'm pleased! I will definitely be applying to Cambridge next year.
Reply 233
Original post by Snufkin
You can combine Scandinavian Studies with English at UCL (via the Modern Languages Plus BA), which allows you take take both Old Norse and Old English, as well as a modern Scandinavian language. :smile:

That sounds fantastic! I'll consider UCL for sure, thank you so much!
Hi everyone!
Is anybody here applying for 2020 entry?
Original post by ZacharyK
Hi everyone!
Is anybody here applying for 2020 entry?

Yes! How did you find the course? It's so niche, I'm really curious about how anyone else got into it.
Original post by LottieMay3
Yes! How did you find the course? It's so niche, I'm really curious about how anyone else got into it.

Honestly, I wish I remembered... I think I was just browsing Cambridge's website, but the moment I saw it, I knew that that was something I wanted to study. Cliche as it might sound, I've always been drawn to the history, languages and cultures of early medieval British Isles, which might be even more unusual given the fact I'm not from the UK - I'm Polish.
Hi, I’m applying for 2020 entry (Trinity Hall)
Honestly I think I found the course just browsing on the internet a few years back - I found out about the course 5 years ago and it’s been my dream ever since to study it!
Original post by ZacharyK
Honestly, I wish I remembered... I think I was just browsing Cambridge's website, but the moment I saw it, I knew that that was something I wanted to study. Cliche as it might sound, I've always been drawn to the history, languages and cultures of early medieval British Isles, which might be even more unusual given the fact I'm not from the UK - I'm Polish.

That's cool! Tbh I'm pretty much the same, I was just drawn to it. I like ancient languages, and I have always loved history. However, I think I was more drawn to it because I liked the blend of history, language and literature than because I have any particular fascination with early medieval Britain and Scandinavia. My friend is already studying ASNC, so she told me about the course.

That's cool, would you be moving to Britain to study then, or do you already live here? If it's the former, I'm impressed, How do you know British history? I have absolutely no idea what was happening in Poland even a hundred years ago!
Original post by rhnnnwrrn
Hi, I’m applying for 2020 entry (Trinity Hall)
Honestly I think I found the course just browsing on the internet a few years back - I found out about the course 5 years ago and it’s been my dream ever since to study it!

Heck, five years? That's so cool! I chose the course about a week before I applied for it haha. Trinity Hall is so nice, my friend's applying there, but not for ASNC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending