The Student Room Group

Cambridge Anglo Saxon Norse and Celtic (ASNC) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone! Just come across this thread and have smiled the whole way through reading it! Congratulations to everyone - you’ve done it! I just had a query. I’d really appreciate if any offer holders would be able to tell me their GCSE’s + A- Level predictions. I’m interested in applying for 2021 entry and I’m curious as to whether my grades are good enough! Thanks everyone, and the very best of luck confirming these offers!

Hi! It's great you're thinking of applying! If you're interested in this subject, I'd encourage you to apply, irrespective of grades. With a bit of luck, you'll be able to join Team ASNC!
As for me, I got 10 As and A*s at GCSE, and I'm predicted A*A*A at A-level, plus an A* in EPQ. I also did AS-level maths last year and achieved an A.
I hope this helps!
(edited 4 years ago)
Also, you can message me if you want to talk about the course at any point or if you want some help with your application! Best of luck :smile:
Hi guys! Wow - thanks so, so much for the quick responses!:tongue:

My GCSE grades were pretty disappointing - I got 999887764 (5A*'s, 2A's, 1B & 1C)
They are substantially weaker than what appears to be the average for an ASNaC offer holder - around 8A*'s!
I achieved them in a completely 'average' state comprehensive though, and have now moved to a state grammar - perhaps that may help!

I'm confident on being predicted A*A*A in English Lit, History and Gov & Pol, respectively.

Aside from looking at the reading lists on the Cambridge website, how else did you discover what to discuss on your personal statements? It's so difficult to find material outside of the reading list - it's a completely foreign area of History so it's very overwhelming!

Also, I know "no prior knowledge is expected" but I don't have a language GCSE, yet alone a language A- Level. I'm really worried as to how this may affect things when it comes to decisions...!

Lastly, has anyone got any tips with ASNaC and Cambridge specifically? Interviews etc? It's much 'easier' for something like English where you know what will be discussed; but ASNaC leaves every possible door open, which is both exciting but terrifying!

Thanks guys, you have no idea how much I appreciate diving into such a wonderful thread with some very supportive people - this makes me want to pursue ASNaC even more!:tongue:
Original post by LottieMay3
Also, you can message me if you want to talk about the course at any point or if you want some help with your application! Best of luck :smile:

Thanks so much! As we approach July and personal statements etc, I'll definitely send you a message! Most likely I'll be in some kind of panic!:tongue: ahaha thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys! Wow - thanks so, so much for the quick responses!:tongue:

My GCSE grades were pretty disappointing - I got 999887764 (5A*'s, 2A's, 1B & 1C)
They are substantially weaker than what appears to be the average for an ASNaC offer holder - around 8A*'s!
I achieved them in a completely 'average' state comprehensive though, and have now moved to a state grammar - perhaps that may help!

I'm confident on being predicted A*A*A in English Lit, History and Gov & Pol, respectively.

Aside from looking at the reading lists on the Cambridge website, how else did you discover what to discuss on your personal statements? It's so difficult to find material outside of the reading list - it's a completely foreign area of History so it's very overwhelming!

Also, I know "no prior knowledge is expected" but I don't have a language GCSE, yet alone a language A- Level. I'm really worried as to how this may affect things when it comes to decisions...!

Lastly, has anyone got any tips with ASNaC and Cambridge specifically? Interviews etc? It's much 'easier' for something like English where you know what will be discussed; but ASNaC leaves every possible door open, which is both exciting but terrifying!

Thanks guys, you have no idea how much I appreciate diving into such a wonderful thread with some very supportive people - this makes me want to pursue ASNaC

I’d recommend the Icelandic sagas, Beowulf and Bede’s ecclesiastical history as good starting points for reading! Also don’t worry about your GCSEs (they are almost identical to my friends who got an offer for history)
Hi, was did anyone here (from those applying to start in 2021) attend today's ASNC webinar? If so, I was wondering if you could tell me what happened there😅
(I applied but something came up and wasn't able to attend)
Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending