The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

BA Anthropology and Law.

I'm a gap year student and was unsuccessful in receiving an offer to study straight law at LSE last year. Im now looking at BA Anthropology and Law. I got ABC in my A-levels ( due to a death in the family so couldnt really focus) and the entry requirement is ABB. I need to retake 2 modules in order to get AAA. Is it right in saying that this degree qualifies you as a lawyer eventhough its a BA.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
no, it will not, as you will not be able to take all of the 7/8 compulsory modules needed in order to obtain a qualifying law degree, which are:
EU law
tort
land law
contract law
equity and trusts
criminal law
constitutional law
jurispundance

the anthropology and law degree only allows you to take 7 of these maximum.

(oh, and they will be able to tell if you are just applying as a way to get onto a less demanding law course)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I'm afraid Jones is mistaken. He has been confused by the many guises and the many different ways universities cut up the law course.

The Law Society website accepts it, however, as a qualifying law degree (http://www.sra.org.uk/students/academic-stage.page#l) Scroll down to LSE and BA Anthropology and Law is there.
The compulsory modules are

i. Public Law, including Constitutional Law, Administrative Law and Human Rights;
ii. Law of the European Union;
iii. Criminal Law;
iv. Obligations including Contract, Restitution and Tort;
v. Property Law; and
vi. Equity and the Law of Trusts.

They go under many names, and different universities cut and paste them, however, as long as you chose the right ones, which wont be hard, you will come out with the right law degree i.e. you need to do Equity and Trusts law in your last year.
Reply 3
Hello "IamGreat",

My situation very closely mirrors yours. I am currently am on gap year having failed to meet my UCL LLB conditional offer last year. I had ABB instead of AAA.

This year I've applied to LSE for LLB and BA Ant and Law. Already been unsuccessful on the LLB but been advised am on a short list for BA Ant and Law and should get results after 15th Jan. Quite a nail biting time.

I also applied to Warwick LLB and waiting. My referee mentioned extenuating circumstances in my application so hope would help with LSE and Warwick.

Have already applied to the BA Ant and Law? any reply? How did you tailor your PS to fit Law and Ant and still leave options open for Econs and others you're interested.

Would really be gr8 2 hear from you.
Reply 4
HI,

I am thinking of putting down BA Ant and Law as a back up on my UCAS because it's ABB!

However, my oter choices are LLB LAW at UCL, KCL, QMUL, Southampton, is it worth applying too LSE OR NOT because although my ps mentions a bit about society it does not specifically mention anthropological aspects!?:s-smilie: :confused: :eek3:

Latest

Trending

Trending