Reply 1
7 plus A* frankly.
think so yes. however email them to be sure
Reply 2
Malsi101
7 plus A* frankly.
think so yes. however email them to be sure

They might recognise my email address :erm:

Seriously, I emailed before and I got a plain "There's no point in applying here" response when I sent some pretend (Good) grades. Typical that all the subjects I'm good at aren't even GCSEs. I've looked around more and I think the Short Course count as if they were full GCSES, so now it's the latter I need confirmation on. Thanks for your reply.
Reply 3
Failed123
They might recognise my email address :erm:

Seriously, I emailed before and I got a plain "There's no point in applying here" response when I sent some pretend (Good) grades. Typical that all the subjects I'm good at aren't even GCSEs. I've looked around more and I think the Short Course count as if they were full GCSES, so now it's the latter I need confirmation on. Thanks for your reply.

Then Birmingham isn;t the uni for you! as it's very competetive trying to get into such a place that wants such high grades!
there are other med schools out there :smile:
Reply 4
^ Yeah I know, chances are I will never have good enough grades, but there's no harm in trying! Such a good uni and city though, seems a bit of a shame. Still, you never know!
Reply 5
Apply if you really want to. The guy at the end of the computer (from Bham Uni) must be a sl4g! OMG MAN! There's always a hand full of people who get in with less than 7A* and some people that don't. Apply if you like, Bham uni has really put me off applying, London ftw!
Reply 6
7A*s :O how highs birmingham on the league table thingy? dya know if they look at ASs? i was thinkin of applying there but ima apply bristol instead i think :/ but thers more competition in bristol i heard... hmmm xx
Reply 7
Failed123

shoudnt the short courses just count as half a gcse?
cos thats what they are
Reply 8
Annaconda
shoudnt the short courses just count as half a gcse?
cos thats what they are

Yeah that's what I thought, but apparently they count them as if they were full. I know a girl who took RE short course and got an A* which counted towards her seven...

Unless of course they just let her off.
Reply 9
Failed123
Yeah that's what I thought, but apparently they count them as if they were full. I know a girl who took RE short course and got an A* which counted towards her seven...

Unless of course they just let her off.

At the birmingham open day they said that short courses were worth 1/2 a GCSE :s-smilie:
And yes they also said that they wanted 7A* and basically your application will not be considered unless you have them!
To confirm, a short course GCSE is worth 0.5,

I went through this last week because i have 6.5 A*s, and the admissions tutor basically told me that i have a slim chance, since they like to see 7 A*s. And they don't even look at the UKCAT, so it seems like a rather nonsensical applications process in my opinion. I won't be applying there anymore.

For medicine, Birmingham is ranked

25th according to The Guardian:

http://browse.guardian.co.uk/education?SearchBySubject=&FirstRow=20&SortOrderDirection=&SortOrderColumn=GuardianTeachingScore&Subject=Medicine&Institution=

16th according to The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,13431,00.html

Neither of which is that amazing. So i have arrived at the conclusion that 7 A*s is pretty unreasonable for the quality of the actual course.
I think a lot of people just really like the university in general.

Anyway i hope this helps
Do you think it's likely whether they'll raise the threshold from 7A*s? :s-smilie:
Reply 12
SamWalters
To confirm, a short course GCSE is worth 0.5,

I went through this last week because i have 6.5 A*s, and the admissions tutor basically told me that i have a slim chance, since they like to see 7 A*s. And they don't even look at the UKCAT, so it seems like a rather nonsensical applications process in my opinion. I won't be applying there anymore.

For medicine, Birmingham is ranked

25th according to The Guardian:

http://browse.guardian.co.uk/education?SearchBySubject=&FirstRow=20&SortOrderDirection=&SortOrderColumn=GuardianTeachingScore&Subject=Medicine&Institution=

16th according to The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,13431,00.html

Neither of which is that amazing. So i have arrived at the conclusion that 7 A*s is pretty unreasonable for the quality of the actual course.
I think a lot of people just really like the university in general.

Anyway i hope this helps

Cheers, I'm glad I made this thread. Even if I were to get seven A* (Which I won't) I think I will reconsider applying here. Besides, I only have six subjects at full GCSE, the rest are just Key Skills, DiDA, OCR Nationals, BTEC and GCSE Short Courses. My school let me down :frown:

It's a nice city though, the university looks pretty good and I know a few people who live there, so based on those reasons that's why it's always interested me. After all, (If I get into medicine) I'll be spending at least five years of my life there.

Latest

Trending

Trending