The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

is sussex any good for languages

what is sussex like in general? its reputation?

for languages and intercultural studies - has anyone done this?
Reply 1
bump
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Anonymous

Hello,

Unfortunately I have not studied languages and/or intercultural studies at Sussex, but as a as a current Sussex university student, I would say that the university has definitely met and indeed exceeded my initial expectations.

My subject is Medical Neuroscience, and I have just finished my 3rd Year, which involved study abroad. I have 2 years left at Sussex, including a Master's Year, which I definitely look forward to. Academically-speaking, I feel I have really developed my academic skills and have built my knowledge of neuroscience, including how the subject is applicable to everyday life. I also had a chance to significantly improve my job prospects, not only by working towards a degree qualification, but by working on campus for variety of university departments.

Based on my experience, while the university is not perfect, Sussex definitely looks out for their students. As someone who is care-experience and needs a bit more of financial, emotional and career-support, I can vouch for the quality of number of support services offered by the university.

Furthermore, student feedback, regarding all their courses & university life is collected and carefully reviewed on regular basis, each term, with measures being implemented to improve teaching practices and student experience.

Generally Brighton as a city can be said to be ethnically/ culturally diverse. Students from over 100 different countries study at Sussex, and students self-recognising as belonging to BAME (Black, Asian and minority ethnic) cultural background make a significant proportion of overall student population. Ethnic, cultural, and religious diversity is highly celebrated as Sussex, as is reflected by a high number of culturally-specific societies & events, and specific sources of support for ethnic minority & international students.

Lastly, for me Brighton is a lovely place to live. Easy access to beach, as well as plenty of green spaces on and off-campus, mean it is always easy to find a quiet place to relax!

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I will be more than happy to share my personal experiences, and my thoughts.

Kasia (4th Year Sussex University Student; Medical Neuroscience MSCI with a Year Abroad)
Reply 3
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello,

Unfortunately I have not studied languages and/or intercultural studies at Sussex, but as a as a current Sussex university student, I would say that the university has definitely met and indeed exceeded my initial expectations.

My subject is Medical Neuroscience, and I have just finished my 3rd Year, which involved study abroad. I have 2 years left at Sussex, including a Master's Year, which I definitely look forward to. Academically-speaking, I feel I have really developed my academic skills and have built my knowledge of neuroscience, including how the subject is applicable to everyday life. I also had a chance to significantly improve my job prospects, not only by working towards a degree qualification, but by working on campus for variety of university departments.

Based on my experience, while the university is not perfect, Sussex definitely looks out for their students. As someone who is care-experience and needs a bit more of financial, emotional and career-support, I can vouch for the quality of number of support services offered by the university.

Furthermore, student feedback, regarding all their courses & university life is collected and carefully reviewed on regular basis, each term, with measures being implemented to improve teaching practices and student experience.

Generally Brighton as a city can be said to be ethnically/ culturally diverse. Students from over 100 different countries study at Sussex, and students self-recognising as belonging to BAME (Black, Asian and minority ethnic) cultural background make a significant proportion of overall student population. Ethnic, cultural, and religious diversity is highly celebrated as Sussex, as is reflected by a high number of culturally-specific societies & events, and specific sources of support for ethnic minority & international students.

Lastly, for me Brighton is a lovely place to live. Easy access to beach, as well as plenty of green spaces on and off-campus, mean it is always easy to find a quiet place to relax!

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I will be more than happy to share my personal experiences, and my thoughts.

Kasia (4th Year Sussex University Student; Medical Neuroscience MSCI with a Year Abroad)

Thank you so much for your in-depth response, that's so lovely to hear!!

Do you by any chance know any language students who I could contact to speak to them about this course? x
Hello,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, I do not know any current language students personally. However, I would recommend signing up for Unibuddy, which is a secure online platform, where all current and future university students can talk to student ambassadors, currently studying at the given university. You can easily contact a specific person studying a specific course, and you are always guaranteed to get a response back within 24 hr, including over the holiday period.

Here is the link with all the information and instructions you will need, if you wish to sign up: Unibuddy.

I hope this helps :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia
Original post by Anonymous

Hey, I hope you're doing well :smile:

I see my colleague Kasia has already replied but I thought I'd share some insight as someone who studied Arabic at Sussex for 2 years. Admittedly I'm not very knowledgeable on intercultural studies but in terms of languages, from my experience the standard of teaching is great and the staff are very supportive. The lessons are interactive and you develop your language skills through a variety of exercises and assessments. For example you'd have your usual vocab / grammar tests but there's also things like presentations on say a tourist destination to develop your speaking skills, and also things like creating a travel brochure on said destination to improve your writing and reading ability. There's a good variety in the way the language is taught which made it engaging. With languages practice makes perfect so there is an expectation on you to complete regular homework tasks, usually after each lesson but it's definitely manageable and if you are having any difficulties, the staff are very friendly and are always there to help.

Another thing I personally greatly enjoyed about Arabic is that I studied it as an elective alongside my History degree, which gave me great variety during my studies which I really enjoyed. As I studied it for 2 years, this would get acknowledged on my degree certificate alongside the History course which means even if you take a subject as an elective rather than as your main course, your hard work still gets recognised. Overall I'd say Sussex is great for languages and I'd definitely recommend :smile:

- Isthiak (BA History with Proficiency in Arabic, with a Professional Placement Year)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending