The Student Room Group

Do i eat enough calories?

Im 5”5 and 18 years old (female). Im currently trying to lose a bit of extra weight, not a lot considering i have a slimmer frame but i used to eat a lot of rubbish and have recently been eating healthier. Im 120.4lbs right now but i was 8.11 stone about 3 weeks ago. I lose weight quickly!
Im not very active... at all. I currently eat about 1200< calories but i eat 3 meals a day and healthier snacks. Is this too low? Im struggling as i eat enough to stay full but I’ve heard it’s dangerous for my height. Bare in mind these calories are from healthy meals so i eat enough in terms of quantity with what majes me feel full but i spose i need to do what is healthier for me- i do not want to gain more weight. My goal is 8.2-8.3 stone as im not very happy with my body.
If anyone knows any at home workouts to get toned that’d be great too.
Reply 1
Hi! To lose weight safely and healthily what you want to do is calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the amount of calories your body burns in a day while resting. To calculate this you can simply search for BMR calculator and insert the information required. My BMR is around 1500 calories per day and I am 5'2 and weigh around 130lbs. From here you want to calculate something called a calorie deficit which is essentially eating less calories than you're burning when resting per day by 100-300kcal. Never go below 1200 calories in one day as this is the minimum amount of calories the body needs to function and this can also result in rapid, unsafe weight loss. Also, this is not to be done for a long period of time as it can lead to unhealthy eating habits which can be very hard to break. In your case, 120lbs is a perfect weight for someone of your age and height and personally, I wouldn't recommend losing anymore as this may lead to being underweight, maybe you could consider working out and turning the extra weight into muscle instead of trying to lose it all together?
Hope this helped :smile:
What sort of body shape, weight range or lifestyle changes are you hoping for? :confused:

I'm 5'1, 25 years old, size 8 and weight the same as I did as a 13 year old.
I homecook most of my meals, eat twice a day, have takeaways a couple of times a month, drink lots of water and do plenty of daily exercise.
Over lockdown I've helped an obese hate crime survivor with serious health issues to lose weight by reducing her meals & calorie consumption, give up unhealthy snacks and do short youtube daily exercise workouts.
She's gone down 10 dress sizes and swims a couple of times a week.
Original post by kav13
Hi! To lose weight safely and healthily what you want to do is calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the amount of calories your body burns in a day while resting. To calculate this you can simply search for BMR calculator and insert the information required. My BMR is around 1500 calories per day and I am 5'2 and weigh around 130lbs. From here you want to calculate something called a calorie deficit which is essentially eating less calories than you're burning when resting per day by 100-300kcal. Never go below 1200 calories in one day as this is the minimum amount of calories the body needs to function and this can also result in rapid, unsafe weight loss. Also, this is not to be done for a long period of time as it can lead to unhealthy eating habits which can be very hard to break. In your case, 120lbs is a perfect weight for someone of your age and height and personally, I wouldn't recommend losing anymore as this may lead to being underweight, maybe you could consider working out and turning the extra weight into muscle instead of trying to lose it all together?
Hope this helped :smile:

TDEE not BMR. BMR is the 'minimum amount of calories the body needs to function and' going below 'this can also result in rapid, unsafe weight loss.'
Reply 4
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
TDEE not BMR. BMR is the 'minimum amount of calories the body needs to function and this can also result in rapid, unsafe weight loss.'

I'm sorry but your BMR is in fact the amount of calories your body burns in a day by simply just existing. Your TDEE, however, is the estimated calories burned throughout the whole day after factoring in activity levels, for example, if a persons BMR is 1800 and they are moderately active, you would multiply this number by 1.55 to calculate their TDEE, also referred to as "maintenance calories". I should have included this previously. The absolute minimum amount of calories the human body needs is no less than 1200, this isn't personal to anyone but your BMR is. :smile:
Original post by kav13
I'm sorry but your BMR is in fact the amount of calories your body burns in a day by simply just existing. Your TDEE, however, is the estimated calories burned throughout the whole day after factoring in activity levels, for example, if a persons BMR is 1800 and they are moderately active, you would multiply this number by 1.55 to calculate their TDEE, also referred to as "maintenance calories". I should have included this previously. The absolute minimum amount of calories the human body needs is no less than 1200, this isn't personal to anyone but your BMR is. :smile:

You didn't specify activity levels in your original post so I had to point it out, sorry even then TDEE is not only BMR + Exercise activity thermogenisis. "The absolute minimum amount of calories the human body needs is no less than 1200." What evidence do you have of this statement?
Reply 6
You didn't specify activity levels in your original post so I had to point it out, sorry even then TDEE is not only BMR + Exercise activity thermogenisis. "The absolute minimum amount of calories the human body needs is no less than 1200." What evidence do you have of this statement?

Yes, I should've spoken about activity levels but I didn't feel as though it was necessary as when you visit the BMR calculator, it includes a section where you factor in your activity levels. A quick google search will tell you that the human body needs no less than 1200kcal per day, although of course, this is not recommended. 2000kcal per day is the recommended intake to sustain metabolism, maintain a healthy lifestyle and maximise brain activity.
Original post by kav13
Yes, I should've spoken about activity levels but I didn't feel as though it was necessary as when you visit the BMR calculator, it includes a section where you factor in your activity levels. A quick google search will tell you that the human body needs no less than 1200kcal per day, although of course, this is not recommended. 2000kcal per day is the recommended intake to sustain metabolism, maintain a healthy lifestyle and maximise brain activity.

Then thats a TDEE calculator not a BMR calculator. What if someone's TDEE is 1000? You can't make an all encompassing statement like that when there are so many variables at play.
Reply 8
Original post by chodestro
Im 5”5 and 18 years old (female). Im currently trying to lose a bit of extra weight, not a lot considering i have a slimmer frame but i used to eat a lot of rubbish and have recently been eating healthier. Im 120.4lbs right now but i was 8.11 stone about 3 weeks ago. I lose weight quickly!
Im not very active... at all. I currently eat about 1200< calories but i eat 3 meals a day and healthier snacks. Is this too low? Im struggling as i eat enough to stay full but I’ve heard it’s dangerous for my height. Bare in mind these calories are from healthy meals so i eat enough in terms of quantity with what majes me feel full but i spose i need to do what is healthier for me- i do not want to gain more weight. My goal is 8.2-8.3 stone as im not very happy with my body.
If anyone knows any at home workouts to get toned that’d be great too.

you need to calculate the number of calories you eat if you want to lose weight with health benefits.

exercise is also very important. first try walking in the fresh air for at least 30-40 minutes a day before going to bed or in the morning, this is also very good for your health
Reply 9
Then thats a TDEE calculator not a BMR calculator. What if someone's TDEE is 1000? You can't make an all encompassing statement like that when there are so many variables at play.

Regardless of what somebodies TDEE is, eating below 1200kcal per day is not enough for anybody, it's unhealthy, isn't enough to fuel the body and may result in fatigue and other various effects. The only time this may be accepted for a very short period of time is if somebody is extremely obese with a BMI over 30 and it is recommended by a doctor. Also, if somebodies TDEE is below 1200 it is likely - but not in all cases - that they need to gain weight rather than lose it so it shouldn't be an issue.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kav13
Regardless of what somebodies TDEE is, eating below 1200kcal per day is not enough for anybody, it's unhealthy, isn't enough to fuel the body and may result in fatigue and other various effects. The only time this may be accepted for a very short period of time is if somebody is extremely obese with a BMI over 30 and it is recommended by a doctor.

Not enough in terms of kcalories? It is enough that's literally what they need to maintain weight, they're not gonna feel fatigued when their body isn't wholly relying on fat stores. They will feel fine just how everyone else would feel eating at their tdee wether it is at 1000 or 4000 provided they get enough micronutrients at 1200kcal.
Reply 11
Not enough in terms of kcalories? It is enough that's literally what they need to maintain weight, they're not gonna feel fatigued when their body isn't wholly relying on fat stores. They will feel fine just how everyone else would feel eating at their tdee wether it is at 1000 or 4000 provided they get enough micronutrients at 1200kcal.

If somebodies TDEE is 1200, it is unlikely that they will need to go on a deficit as they are probably already at a healthy weight for shorter people or underweight for taller people, therefore they will not need to go below 1200 per day and will most likely need to go over that. If somebodies TDEE is 1000 then they definitely to not want to be going on a deficit as this is not recommended and they would have to be eating around 700 calories per day which is nowhere near enough. An average adult body cannot function at its full capacity if somebody is routinely eating below 1200 calories per day.
Original post by kav13
If somebodies TDEE is 1200, it is unlikely that they will need to go on a deficit as they are probably already at a healthy weight for shorter people or underweight for taller people, therefore they will not need to go below 1200 per day and will most likely need to go over that. If somebodies TDEE is 1000 then they definitely to not want to be going on a deficit as this is not recommended and they would have to be eating around 700 calories per day which is nowhere near enough. An average adult body cannot function at its full capacity if somebody is routinely eating below 1200 calories per day.

I never said eating below tdee.
Reply 13
Original post by londonmyst
What sort of body shape, weight range or lifestyle changes are you hoping for? :confused:

I'm 5'1, 25 years old, size 8 and weight the same as I did as a 13 year old.
I homecook most of my meals, eat twice a day, have takeaways a couple of times a month, drink lots of water and do plenty of daily exercise.
Over lockdown I've helped an obese hate crime survivor with serious health issues to lose weight by reducing her meals & calorie consumption, give up unhealthy snacks and do short youtube daily exercise workouts.
She's gone down 10 dress sizes and swims a couple of times a week.

Im quite slim anyway but I just have a podgier stomach. Its not flat which is what im aiming for and the very bottom part just seems very obvious to me. Im hoping to just get rid of that and maybe make my waist a little smaller (im a w26.5 but i look like a door in jeans aha).
Original post by chodestro
Im quite slim anyway but I just have a podgier stomach. Its not flat which is what im aiming for and the very bottom part just seems very obvious to me. Im hoping to just get rid of that and maybe make my waist a little smaller (im a w26.5 but i look like a door in jeans aha).

Have you tried doing the short youtube exercise workouts from Lucy Wyndham-Read, Lilly Sabri and Emmy Wong?
A few friends and I did the 7 min one from Lucy every day for a week, results were very good in terms of improved fitness and visible appearance.

Lilly Sabri's 14 day home workout aiming to reduce belly fat & waistlines is also quite a good one to try out but can be a bit intensive for those not used to doing regular daily exercise.
Emmy's got some great short workouts under 15 mins that can be done at home and don't need a lot of space or any expensive equipment.
Most exercises last between 30-45 seconds and some of Emmy's workout can be done in bed or on a chair.

It is also important to remember that stomach bloating can also be a problem that gets mistaken for flab.
Sometimes triggered by food intolerances, medication or doing very strenous hiit workouts too often/without stretching.
Bone structure also plays a role in body shape, no diet or amount of exercise can change that.
Only cosmetic surgery can guarantee to specifically achieve the desired outcome through targeting certain areas of the body for increase or reduction.
Re-Mapping the Page.

Original post by londonmyst
Have you tried doing the short youtube exercise workouts from Lucy Wyndham-Read, Lilly Sabri and Emmy Wong?
A few friends and I did the 7 min one from Lucy every day for a week, results were very good in terms of improved fitness and visible appearance.

Lilly Sabri's 14 day home workout aiming to reduce belly fat & waistlines is also quite a good one to try out but can be a bit intensive for those not used to doing regular daily exercise.
Emmy's got some great short workouts under 15 mins that can be done at home and don't need a lot of space or any expensive equipment.
Most exercises last between 30-45 seconds and some of Emmy's workout can be done in bed or on a chair.

It is also important to remember that stomach bloating can also be a problem that gets mistaken for flab.
Sometimes triggered by food intolerances, medication or doing very strenous hiit workouts too often/without stretching.
Bone structure also plays a role in body shape, no diet or amount of exercise can change that.
Only cosmetic surgery can guarantee to specifically achieve the desired outcome through targeting certain areas of the body for increase or reduction.

My friend follows this workout and she already loses some weight.
Re-Mapping the Page.
Though it differs depending on age and activity level, adult males generally require 2,000-3000 calories per day to maintain weight while adult females need around 1,600-2,400 according to the U.S Department of Health. The body does not require many calories to simply survive.

Quick Reply

Latest