The Student Room Group

Help me pick one!

Right so im sending my application tomorrow and i cant decide my 4th choice. Im a resit applicant with ext. circs... my gcse's are 2 A* 2 A's 5 B's 2 C's. My UKCAT is 622.5, but i have filled a complaint and might be getting a mark compensation. Im predicted AAAB and got ABBD this year, but 2 borderline to the grade above. The problem is i havent been to any of these schools and nor do i have any idea of they use UKCAT, GCSE's etc so i need help to pick a place where my application wouldnt go straight into the bin lol. I have a fair bit of work exp and have been working hard at my PS...

Options are: Durham / Newcastle, Keele, Leicester, Liverpool / Lancaster, Dundee, Kings college.

The only one i have preference is Kings, i really do want to go there but i know they give a large weight to their UKCAT so im not sure now... Please help!
freakaleak
Right so im sending my application tomorrow and i cant decide my 4th choice. Im a resit applicant with ext. circs... my gcse's are 2 A* 2 A's 5 B's 2 C's. My UKCAT is 622.5, but i have filled a complaint and might be getting a mark compensation. Im predicted AAAB and got ABBD this year, but 2 borderline to the grade above. The problem is i havent been to any of these schools and nor do i have any idea of they use UKCAT, GCSE's etc so i need help to pick a place where my application wouldnt go straight into the bin lol. I have a fair bit of work exp and have been working hard at my PS...

Options are: Durham / Newcastle, Keele, Leicester, Liverpool / Lancaster, Dundee, Kings college.

The only one i have preference is Kings, i really do want to go there but i know they give a large weight to their UKCAT so im not sure now... Please help!

I know Durham/Newcastle only use academic grades plus the UKCAT for interview. So with 622.5, it may be risky.
Reply 2
i hear that kings put a lot of weight on the ukcat too! I think u should phone and ask if based on last yr ur score is gd enough.
Reply 3
Okay so i phoned Kings college up, she told me they dont look for a certain number of A's/A*'s at GCSE and nor do they rank applications with the UKCAT! Nor is there a cut off score! They interviewed people with scores from 513 to 776 last year, see now i really really want to apply there! Now im thinking about my 3rd choice, its BSMS now im confused whether to apply there or Keele and Leicester... Being a resit applicant they seemed nice to resit applicants but Keele specifically reserves places for them! I do have mitigating circumstances but they might not even accept them anywhere else and BSMS would accept me even without them hmmmmm!
Reply 4
Haha now i phoned kings and they say they probably wont look at my ext. circs nor will Leicester and Keele said id be better off applying after i got the grades!!!!!! total horror... okay so BSMS stays and i still need a 4th choice.
put them all into a hat and draw one out!
Reply 6
fairy spangles
put them all into a hat and draw one out!

yeah i dont think i have any choices left haha i officially dont have a 4th choice cos no one will take me. Liverpool said they want a minimum of C's at the first attempt and only accept mitigating circs if the exam board knows about them but i never told them! I dont think there is any point applying to Newcastle / even phoning them with my low UKCAT. I might just apply kings for the hell of it...
If no where will take you, why not just apply for 3, or wait on the grades.

Alternatively take a stab in the dark in case some nice admissions person takes pitty on you
freakaleak
Okay so i phoned Kings college up, she told me they dont look for a certain number of A's/A*'s at GCSE and nor do they rank applications with the UKCAT! Nor is there a cut off score! They interviewed people with scores from 513 to 776 last year, see now i really really want to apply there! Now im thinking about my 3rd choice, its BSMS now im confused whether to apply there or Keele and Leicester... Being a resit applicant they seemed nice to resit applicants but Keele specifically reserves places for them! I do have mitigating circumstances but they might not even accept them anywhere else and BSMS would accept me even without them hmmmmm!
Quoted for truth. I'm quite astounded by how many people are misinformed about this. Yeah, speaking to the admission tutor really put my mind at ease. I just hope they consider all parts of my application, especially my personal statement, if they decide to reject me without interview.

Good luck with your choices. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending