The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Developmental Psychology and Clinical Practice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hello,

Could anyone be so kind to share your experience of the interview? I am also going to do it through zoom. Can you please share the questions? I am a bit anxious.

Thank you
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by ayylmao100
Hi all, I received my official offer letter this morning and I've now accepted!! I'm super excited :biggrin:
I realise it'll be quite a small cohort so if anybody wants to chat or make a group to get to know other students before the course starts please message me and we can figure something out! Let me know if you'd rather chat on Instagram than on here and I'll DM you my ig username.
Hopefully speak soon! :smile:

Hi! I'm going to apply for the course next year and was wondering what your interview was like? What type of questions did they ask?
Original post by f_dar
Hi! I'm going to apply for the course next year and was wondering what your interview was like? What type of questions did they ask?

Hi! So in my interview they asked me to describe a significant experience I'd had with a child / young person and what I gained from this, what needs to be considered when involving minors in research, and a challenging experience I'd had and how I overcame it. They also asked about how I'd adapt to living in London, but I think they were really just asking if I needed financial aid. The interview was online, there were two interviewers, and the whole thing lasted about 5-10 minutes. Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! So in my interview they asked me to describe a significant experience I'd had with a child / young person and what I gained from this, what needs to be considered when involving minors in research, and a challenging experience I'd had and how I overcame it. They also asked about how I'd adapt to living in London, but I think they were really just asking if I needed financial aid. The interview was online, there were two interviewers, and the whole thing lasted about 5-10 minutes. Hope this helps! :smile:

Hey! I plan to apply for this course. But I'm a Zoology graduate, I have almost a decade of experience working with children, but I don't have any research experience. Can you tell me if the program accepts people who have no academic background in psychology but a good experience of working with children?
Reply 44
Hi there :smile: It’s great that you have so much experience working with children and no I don’t think a background in psychology is strictly necessary! You’re definitely in with a chance if you can find a way to convincingly discuss (in your personal statement) what you learned from your experience and why it led you to pursue this course specifically.
The DPCP webpage says that in your statement they want to see:
- why you want to study Developmental Psychology at graduate level
- why you want to study Developmental Psychology at UCL
- what particularly attracts you to this programme
- how your academic and professional background meets the demands of this programme
- where you would like to go professionally with your degree
Hope this helps!
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi there :smile: It’s great that you have so much experience working with children and no I don’t think a background in psychology is strictly necessary! You’re definitely in with a chance if you can find a way to convincingly discuss (in your personal statement) what you learned from your experience and why it led you to pursue this course specifically.
The DPCP webpage says that in your statement they want to see:
- why you want to study Developmental Psychology at graduate level
- why you want to study Developmental Psychology at UCL
- what particularly attracts you to this programme
- how your academic and professional background meets the demands of this programme
- where you would like to go professionally with your degree
Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot! That's really encouraging. I plan to apply for this course but wasn't sure at first. Are you too applying for the same?
Original post by Inaya001
Thanks a lot! That's really encouraging. I plan to apply for this course but wasn't sure at first. Are you too applying for the same?

Glad you found it helpful! And I’m actually studying on this course at the moment, I applied this time last year and now I’ve almost finished my first term, can’t quite believe it!!
Reply 47
Original post by Inaya001

Sorry not sure why that reply was anonymised 😂 feel free to send me any more questions :smile:
Can any of the successful applicants share their SOP for reference?
Hey!! Applying to this programme at UCL this year. Just wanted to ask when did you apply & when did you hear back regarding the interview and then when did you get your final offer? This waiting game has got me quite anxious. Thanks!!
Reply 50
Original post by ManyaKhanna2200
Hey!! Applying to this programme at UCL this year. Just wanted to ask when did you apply & when did you hear back regarding the interview and then when did you get your final offer? This waiting game has got me quite anxious. Thanks!!

Hiya :smile: I applied in November last year and only received my invitation to interview in February! The interview itself was in March and I got my offer a few days afterwards.
Hiya :smile: I applied in November last year and only received my invitation to interview in February! The interview itself was in March and I got my offer a few days afterwards.

Thank you for your response !! 🤗
Hey everyone! I wanted to know whether they only need official employment experience of working with children or volunteer experience is also considered?
Hey everyone! I wanted to know whether they only need official employment experience of working with children or volunteer experience is also considered?

Hi! Volunteer experience is absolutely considered, I don't think they really mind whether or not you were paid as long as your experience is relevant (and you can explain how it led you to / prepares you for the course) :smile: I'm on the programme now and all of my experiences were voluntary!
Hi! Volunteer experience is absolutely considered, I don't think they really mind whether or not you were paid as long as your experience is relevant (and you can explain how it led you to / prepares you for the course) :smile: I'm on the programme now and all of my experiences were voluntary!

Hey guys, I’m joining next year for UCL psychology and I would be grateful if you told me about your timetables, day offs and what you learn about in general and what you like/dislike? please and thanks!!
Reply 55
Original post by dawnsfragrance
Hey guys, I’m joining next year for UCL psychology and I would be grateful if you told me about your timetables, day offs and what you learn about in general and what you like/dislike? please and thanks!!

Hiya :smile: Will you be joining the Psychology BSc course or a postgraduate programme? This thread is specifically for the Developmental Psychology and Clinical Practice Master's course.
Hiya :smile: Will you be joining the Psychology BSc course or a postgraduate programme? This thread is specifically for the Developmental Psychology and Clinical Practice Master's course.

I’ll be joining on the Bsc course,
sorry if this isn’t the right thread, I couldn’t find any other active ones :frown: could you help?
Reply 57
No worries, sorry to hear you can’t find a thread for your course! I suggest you start a new one in that case, I’m sure lots of other applicants have questions and that a current student will be happy to answer :smile:
Wish I could help but I didn’t do my BSc at UCL and my experience as a postgrad there is quite different!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 58
How many people are on the course for this year? I'm applying for next year and there's just 20-something places, right?
Original post by f_dar
How many people are on the course for this year? I'm applying for next year and there's just 20-something places, right?

Hiya, there are just 18 of us on DPCP this year but yes I think there are 20-something places available, a few people withdrew before the course started this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending