The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Is Sussex university good?

Is the university of Sussex any good? Is respected academically? Is nightlife good and is there a good social aspect?

the degree I'm interested in is Psychology with Business and management, is Sussex respected for these 2 subject areas?
Original post by WB15
Is the university of Sussex any good? Is respected academically? Is nightlife good and is there a good social aspect?

the degree I'm interested in is Psychology with Business and management, is Sussex respected for these 2 subject areas?

Hello, thank you for all your questions.

As a current Sussex university student, I would say that the university has definitely met and indeed exceeded my initial expectations.
My subject is Medical Neuroscience, and I have finished my 3rd Year, which involved study abroad. I have 2 years left at Sussex, including a Master's Year, which I definitely look forward to! Academically-speaking, I feel I have really developed my academic skills and have built my knowledge of neuroscience, including how the subject is applicable to everyday life. I also had a chance to significantly improve my job prospects, not only by working towards a degree qualification, but by working on campus for variety of university departments. Thus, overall, I would vouch for the academic standing of the university.

With regard to social life, there are numerous opportunities to sign up for clubs & societies (over 250 are currently on offer). See this link for more information: Sussex Uni Clubs & Societies. Multiple social events are organised by Student Union throughout the Year (Student Union Social Calendar), allowing plenty of opportunities for establishing new friendship connections. Furthermore, Brighton provides an easy access to busy city centre, beach, as well as plenty of green spaces on and off-campus, meaning it is always easy to find a place to relax either alone, or with other people.

Based on my experience, while the university is not perfect, Sussex definitely looks out for their students. As someone who is care-experience and needs a bit more of financial, emotional and career-support, I can vouch for the quality of number of support services offered by the university.

In addition, student feedback, regarding all their courses & university life is collected and carefully reviewed on regular basis, each term, with measures being implemented to improve teaching practices and student experience.

In terms of League Rankings for Psychology and Business, Sussex University is one of the top universities in UK. See these links for more details: Psychology; Business. Hence, I would say Sussex is highly respected in both of these subject areas.

Let me know if you have any further questions - I will be more than happy to share my personal experiences, and my thoughts.

Kasia (4th Year Sussex University Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
(edited 3 years ago)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending