The Student Room Group

What makes a satisfactory academic reference?

What do universities look out for in references? I got rejected last year for a post graduate degree application because of the reference even though I met their grade requirements. I even asked for a feedback but they ignored me. Also, can a referee even write something bad about you in a reference? I contacted my referee to inform him that I was rejected because of an unsatisfactory academic reference and he completely ignore me. I was depressed and scared that this might happen again this year. Any tips for getting a good reference or a type of reference that unis are looking out for? Any help will be appriciated. Thanks.
Original post by Char_Aznable
What do universities look out for in references? I got rejected last year for a post graduate degree application because of the reference even though I met their grade requirements. I even asked for a feedback but they ignored me. Also, can a referee even write something bad about you in a reference? I contacted my referee to inform him that I was rejected because of an unsatisfactory academic reference and he completely ignore me. I was depressed and scared that this might happen again this year. Any tips for getting a good reference or a type of reference that unis are looking out for? Any help will be appriciated. Thanks.

Any reference has to be honest. So if you haven't attended, haven't participated, have failed courses, have submitted late etc, that all has to be reported. If you know you got a poor reference, then you absolutely do not use that referee again. To be honest, if you met the academic standard for a PG course and were rejected because of a poor reference then you must have dome something considered pretty bad, and you need to consider who, if anyone on your programme can write you a good reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending