The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea or Bangor? / Zoology

Interested in studying Zoology at both Swansea and Bangor, I have offers from both, however am unable to decide on what I would prefer. If anybody has studied at either, and even better these specific courses, any information would be appreciated:smile:.
They are very different cities. Swansea is what you would call a proper city. Reasonably larger with a population of 1/4 million. Bangor although a city is more like a town. It has a population less than 1/10 of Swansea's. It really depends on what you want.

You dont have to make a decision until June. The Welsh Government has opened up travel throughout Wales from tomorrow to people living in Wales and to people from England from 12 April if the England lockdown is removed. Hotels are opening in Wales from tomorrow. Both universities are likely to reopen on that date. It is likely they will be holding visit days for office holders from May. Even if they dont you can visit each university and city to see which is right for you.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by Ccroft
Interested in studying Zoology at both Swansea and Bangor, I have offers from both, however am unable to decide on what I would prefer. If anybody has studied at either, and even better these specific courses, any information would be appreciated:smile:.

Hi @Ccroft,

Great to see you are considering Bangor :smile: As @swanseajack1 mentioned as well as the course you may want to look into other things the University can offer. At Bangor we are a small but friendly and welcoming city. Students tend to settle in quite quickly and the fact that the city is smaller makes it much easier to get around and you'll find you can pretty much walk to all University buildings within 10-15 minutes.

The great thing about Zoology at Bangor is our location lend itself perfectly to this course. We're surrounded by nature, the Menai Straights, Snowdonia National Park and the endless amounts of beaches on Anglesey are all on our doorstep. Because of our location we're lucky enough to be able to teach in our surrounding environment and students don’t have to travel very far to visit some of the most important and varied field sites during their course. We also have our own Natural History Museum, botanical garden, freshwater and marine aquaria, venomous snake collection, Europe’s largest underground soil laboratory, aviaries, an ocean-going research vessel, and an active research farm all of which are constantly used for teaching and research.

The course is taught by true experts and staff that really care and enjoy what they do. Recently Steve Backshall has joined our teaching staff and students are really enjoying learning from his life experiences and depth of knowledge. Go and have a chat to Benjamin, Patrycja and Jack on our site, they are current Zoology students and can tell you all about the course and how they've found University life at Bangor - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/student-life/unibuddy. You can also watch a week in a life of a Zoology student here - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/zoology.

If you have any questions let me know. We hope to see you soon :smile:
Rhian

Quick Reply

Latest