The Student Room Group

How do i gain weight??

Hey guys
so according to my BMI i m 7 kg underweight. Can someone please advise me how to gain weight. I have been skinny my whole life and i eat atleast 3 meals a day and snack a lot. My diet is quite large. I eat way more food than my friends but they all have normal weight. I think i just have a fast metabolism.

But still i would still like to gain weight. Anyone have any tips ?? Please help me :frown:

If anyone has purposely gained weight then please tell me how you did it.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What's your age, height and weight.
eat bare food
You have two paths to gain weight:
1. Eat too much food and don't work out
2. Work out and build muscle

Pathway 1 is easier unless you have a high metabolism like you say you do
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Krisis
What's your age, height and weight.

18, 5’3 , 40kg
Original post by kavita2002
18, 5’3 , 40kg

You have to find out how much you're eating so you need to track what you eat. Do you know how to do that? myfitnesspal, etc?
Original post by SirNoodles
You have two paths to gain weight:
1. Eat too much food and don't work out
2. Work out and build muscle

Pathway 1 is easier unless you have a high metabolism like you say you do

Tried both. I do workout to build muscle but its such a slow process. I do become muscular but my weight stays the same.

Now since december i have been doing 1 since gyms r closed and i still didnt gain weight. All i did past 3 months was sit on my bed and keep eating every hour.

But i think i didnt take 2 too seriously. Now when the gyms reopen i will become more serious about it.
I have been going to the gym since past 2 years .

My weight luckily doesn’t decrease at all but it doesn’t increase either :frown:
Original post by Krisis
You have to find out how much you're eating so you need to track what you eat. Do you know how to do that? myfitnesspal, etc?

Yeah but i m indian and my majority of diet is indian food and myfitness pal doesnt have accurate calories for indian food.
Sugar is the easiest thing to overeat and not feel full, skittles, crisps, biscuits and the like. Also fruit juice. Very easy. If eating toast pre-butter, toast, then butter on both sides again. Muchy box every night if you really want to reach your goals. Doing this I gained two stones in four months.
Original post by 4Skin
Sugar is the easiest thing to overeat and not feel full, skittles, crisps, biscuits and the like. Also fruit juice. Very easy. If eating toast pre-butter, toast, then butter on both sides again. Muchy box every night if you really want to reach your goals. Doing this I gained two stones in four months.

I love sugar but wont that just cause diabetes? I dont want to gain weight in that way if i get diabetes.
What exactly did u eat everyday to gain weight and after how many days/weeks did you start gaining weight?
Yeah but i m indian and my majority of diet is indian food and myfitness pal doesnt have accurate calories for indian food.

If you make it at home, you can definitely weigh and track the ingredients you're using. Like chicken breast, oils, butter, etc. Weigh and track them on mfp for example or any other reliable app and get the average per day.

Then weigh yourself every week. Do this for a few weeks. If your weight remains stable, you'll know this is your starting point. You can then add more food, track it and see how your weight changes. If it doesn't add more food, etc. Repeat until you find your weight is slowly increasing.

Btw, you need to eat more as you gain weight to...gain more weight cuz your body burns more when you're heavier. But you will see that in action.
(edited 3 years ago)
I love sugar but wont that just cause diabetes? I dont want to gain weight in that way if i get diabetes.
What exactly did u eat everyday to gain weight and after how many days/weeks did you start gaining weight?

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes (as far as I know) being too fat and having fat in your liver pancreas causes diabetes. Though once you have diabetes eating sugar wrecks you. I ate mostly burgers, chicken nuggets fanta, biscuits, crisps and skittles. I didn't do this to deliberately gain weight, more because of compulsive eating. The scale didn't seem to immediately move despite consuming about 4500-5500 calories per day. It seemed to all go on at once in chunks. I seemed to gain about half a stone a month, though maths-wise I should have gained more.

Nope sugar does not cause diabetes, a perfectly healthy pancreas is capable enough to produce the correct amount of insulin when you eat X amount of sugar.
Try almonds, sunflower seeds, fruit, or whole-grain, wheat toast. Go nutrient dense. Instead of eating empty calories and junk food, eat foods that are rich in nutrients. Consider high- protein meats, which can help you to build muscle.
Original post by natalijennifer25
Try almonds, sunflower seeds, fruit, or whole-grain, wheat toast. Go nutrient dense. Instead of eating empty calories and junk food, eat foods that are rich in nutrients. Consider high- protein meats, which can help you to build muscle.

Thank youu
Original post by chlamydia9000
Sugar doesn't cause diabetes (as far as I know) being too fat and having fat in your liver pancreas causes diabetes. Though once you have diabetes eating sugar wrecks you. I ate mostly burgers, chicken nuggets fanta, biscuits, crisps and skittles. I didn't do this to deliberately gain weight, more because of compulsive eating. The scale didn't seem to immediately move despite consuming about 4500-5500 calories per day. It seemed to all go on at once in chunks. I seemed to gain about half a stone a month, though maths-wise I should have gained more.

Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Nope sugar does not cause diabetes, a perfectly healthy pancreas is capable enough to produce the correct amount of insulin when you eat X amount of sugar.

Insulin production can become impaired from regularly eating too much sugar; this is usually because cells stop responding to insulin.
This can then lead to the pancreas getting ‘tired out’ so it releases les and less insulin.
So eating too much sugar can in fact lead to type 2 diabetes.
Hey guys
so according to my BMI i m 7 kg underweight. Can someone please advise me how to gain weight. I have been skinny my whole life and i eat atleast 3 meals a day and snack a lot. My diet is quite large. I eat way more food than my friends but they all have normal weight. I think i just have a fast metabolism.

But still i would still like to gain weight. Anyone have any tips ?? Please help me :frown:

I’m in the same boat 😬
Original post by Plscanuhelpme
Insulin production can become impaired from regularly eating too much sugar; this is usually because cells stop responding to insulin.
This can then lead to the pancreas getting ‘tired out’ so it releases les and less insulin.
So eating too much sugar can in fact lead to type 2 diabetes.

Your cells stop responding to insulin because visceral fat is in the way. Lets not use inaccurate terms like 'tired out'.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5174149/
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey guys

Update : now i m only 6 kg underweight 😂
Hey guys

I can advise the course that I myself used. It helped a lot. Write to PM if interested.

Quick Reply

Latest