The Student Room Group

Physio or occupational therapy

Hellllllllp, I’m going round in circles with this. I want to do a pre reg masters to qualify as either a physio or occupational therapist. My undergrad was in Sports Science so physio felt like the obvious option, but the more I read about occupational therapy, the more I think I may be better suited to that. Does anyone have any insight into how much independent/ team working is involved in each role? I also have young children and I am a single parent so shift work is not an option for me. Is it possible to be a PT or OT that isn’t required to do shift work? Do you have to do a 2 year hospital rotation after your degree or can you just apply to work in one ward? Finally, I’m thinking of applying to either Liverpool or Keele Uni. Any insights into those two unis for either of these courses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
hi So i actually did my undergraduate at Keele and its a great uni, I loved it there! but if you have any specific questions ask away and I ll be happy to answer. i am currently doing msc pre reg physio at York St John, i am only in my first year and have yet to go on placement but I have really enjoyed it so far it is quite intense since its two years. I would say that there is a fair bit of team work involved in physio as you do work with the nurses and doctors especially if it is an inpatient setting but say you decide to work in musculoskeletal outpatient setting then that would be more individual and you would perhaps speak with other physios in the same department as you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending