The Student Room Group

Struggling with faith and identity (Muslim)

Over the last few years I really tried to be a better Muslim. I was taught that this religion was from God, the Quran was His literal, unchanged word, and everything that happened was because of His will. To be fair, I had some unhealthy religious thinking growing up e.g. correlating the quality of life with my relationship with God - for example, if I wasn't doing too well in school or sport then sometimes interpreting that as God punishing me for my sins or not being a good Muslim. In Sixth Form was when I started to take Islam more seriously and began praying 5 times a day and on time and improving my character hoping God would be pleased with me and let me do a good degree at a good uni. In Y12 I went on a pilgrimage to Mecca with family and made the same prayers. But after that was when everything went downhill. I didn't know what was going on at the time, but I think the spirituality I had on the pilgrimage was so intense that I had some sort of involuntary awakening and my ego that was tethering me to the material world dissolved and I lost all my motivation for life. Unfortunately I was still in school and was suffering as I couldn't motivate myself and had to rely on the faith to motivate me but this never really worked and I felt like I didn't even have free will. I was still trying to be a good Muslim and praying to do well academically but due to motivation I couldn't get into uni and took a gap year to re-sit. Again my motivation was extremely low and I couldn't re-sit but wanted to go to uni so found an alternative route in. At uni the motivation was still low and then it got to a point last Summer where I couldn't take it anymore and was having doubts about the religion even being true. I started researching the primary sources in more detail and found a lot of holes in the Quran and Hadith that I couldn't make sense of. Eventually I lost all my belief in the religion. Once this happened I noticed my ego/motivation slowly returned until it became back to normal. I got so depressed thinking I'd wasted so much time, that my prayers and fasts didn't even mean anything anymore, wishing I didn't go on that pilgrimage. The thing is now I don't know who I am anymore or what to do. I believe that all religions are man-made and not sure if there is a God or what happens after death but to do believe in some kind of higher power or intelligence. Still I identify as a Muslim for cultural reasons and went to Friday prayer recently. For me Islam is a subjective experience now and more about spirituality and connecting to something greater than myself when I pray. I don't think about preparing for the afterlife or sin or whether God is pleased with me. Religion is for me now. Still it is all a bit confusing ; I don't really pray at all now and is more when I feel like it yet I don't feel like a proper Muslim. Not sure what I'm going to this this Ramadan either. Suppose what I'm trying to say is what is life? Is it just about doing as much good as you possibly can and chasing as much happiness as possible - and where does religion fall into that? Rambling a lot here but just not sure what to do.....
(edited 3 years ago)
I understand some of how you feel. :smile:
Exploring your own beliefs, gaining more understanding of history & religious traditions, deciding your ambitions and the future life that you want- all these will significantly contribute towards your personality and the identity that you choose.

No human is perfect, always right, omnipotent or has an automatic monopoly on 'true religion'.
Don't allow anyone to harass you to obey them or impose their venom upon you.
Nor make you feel inferior or ashamed that your opinions, personal priorities or practice of religion is different to theirs.

You have accumulated so much valuable life experience that will be very helpful to you in the future.
It may also enable you to provide crucial support to other people too.
Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
I was in a similar situation having an existential crisis but then Alhamdulillah I got guided on the right path and started reading Tafseer and that has helped quite a lot. Just don’t let Shaitaan get to you. And I hope and pray everything turns out alright. This life is a test. So everything good or bad that happens, the reaction you have to it is what really matters. It’s like in real life, when you do a test, and pass and do well there are 2 options. 1. You think you’ve achieved it all and become overconfident and forget about the rest of the tests or 2. You can take it as extra motivation and study harder for the next test to maintain that good score. Now on the flip side when you fail a test there are also 2 options. 1. You just give up and flunk all the rest of your tests and lose motivation or 2. You can actually ignore what has happened, learn from your mistakes and keep faith so that you can do better in the next test. Now substitute the school tests with life because at the end of the day your life is a series of tests and the result is what happens in the hereafter. No one can ever be perfect but the least we can do is try to come up to a decent level. Religion isn’t about praying 5 times a day and you expect everything to go well. Islam is a way of life and around every corner there is a test. The more tests you pass the closer you get to success in this life and the hereafter. What you are going through right now is also a test. Use Ramadan as a reset button and start following the religion again because I swear to you there is a certain enjoyment when you pass those tests of life.

I hope you have understood a little I have said if you feel like you need to read things for a better understanding pls feel to pm me.
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
I understand some of how you feel. :smile:
Exploring your own beliefs, gaining more understanding of history & religious traditions, deciding your ambitions and the future life that you want- all these will significantly contribute towards your personality and the identity that you choose.

No human is perfect, always right, omnipotent or has an automatic monopoly on 'true religion'.
Don't allow anyone to harass you to obey them or impose their venom upon you.
Nor make you feel inferior or ashamed that your opinions, personal priorities or practice of religion is different to theirs.

You have accumulated so much valuable life experience that will be very helpful to you in the future.
It may also enable you to provide crucial support to other people too.
Good luck!

So nice, thank you for writing this :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by CynicalHair
I was in a similar situation having an existential crisis but then Alhamdulillah I got guided on the right path and started reading Tafseer and that has helped quite a lot. Just don’t let Shaitaan get to you. And I hope and pray everything turns out alright. This life is a test. So everything good or bad that happens, the reaction you have to it is what really matters. It’s like in real life, when you do a test, and pass and do well there are 2 options. 1. You think you’ve achieved it all and become overconfident and forget about the rest of the tests or 2. You can take it as extra motivation and study harder for the next test to maintain that good score. Now on the flip side when you fail a test there are also 2 options. 1. You just give up and flunk all the rest of your tests and lose motivation or 2. You can actually ignore what has happened, learn from your mistakes and keep faith so that you can do better in the next test. Now substitute the school tests with life because at the end of the day your life is a series of tests and the result is what happens in the hereafter. No one can ever be perfect but the least we can do is try to come up to a decent level. Religion isn’t about praying 5 times a day and you expect everything to go well. Islam is a way of life and around every corner there is a test. The more tests you pass the closer you get to success in this life and the hereafter. What you are going through right now is also a test. Use Ramadan as a reset button and start following the religion again because I swear to you there is a certain enjoyment when you pass those tests of life.

I hope you have understood a little I have said if you feel like you need to read things for a better understanding pls feel to pm me.

Thanks, but tbh I'm just not feeling it anymore, I genuinely don't think I believe in it anymore... I've tried praying but I don't feel like Allah is watching or the its being recorded in my books etc. I do want to believe in it though
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Noiros
Over the last few years I really tried to be a better Muslim. I was taught that this religion was from God, the Quran was His literal, unchanged word, and everything that happened was because of His will. To be fair, I had some unhealthy religious thinking growing up e.g. correlating the quality of life with my relationship with God - for example, if I wasn't doing too well in school or sport then sometimes interpreting that as God punishing me for my sins or not being a good Muslim. In Sixth Form was when I started to take Islam more seriously and began praying 5 times a day and on time and improving my character hoping God would be pleased with me and let me do a good degree at a good uni. In Y12 I went on a pilgrimage to Mecca with family and made the same prayers. But after that was when everything went downhill. I didn't know what was going on at the time, but I think the spirituality I had on the pilgrimage was so intense that I had some sort of involuntary awakening and my ego that was tethering me to the material world dissolved and I lost all my motivation for life. Unfortunately I was still in school and was suffering as I couldn't motivate myself and had to rely on the faith to motivate me but this never really worked and I felt like I didn't even have free will. I was still trying to be a good Muslim and praying to do well academically but due to motivation I couldn't get into uni and took a gap year to re-sit. Again my motivation was extremely low and I couldn't re-sit but wanted to go to uni so found an alternative route in. At uni the motivation was still low and then it got to a point last Summer where I couldn't take it anymore and was having doubts about the religion even being true. I started researching the primary sources in more detail and found a lot of holes in the Quran and Hadith that I couldn't make sense of. Eventually I lost all my belief in the religion. Once this happened I noticed my ego/motivation slowly returned until it became back to normal. I got so depressed thinking I'd wasted so much time, that my prayers and fasts didn't even mean anything anymore, wishing I didn't go on that pilgrimage. The thing is now I don't know who I am anymore or what to do. I believe that all religions are man-made and not sure if there is a God or what happens after death but to do believe in some kind of higher power or intelligence. Still I identify as a Muslim for cultural reasons and went to Friday prayer recently. For me Islam is a subjective experience now and more about spirituality and connecting to something greater than myself when I pray. I don't think about preparing for the afterlife or sin or whether God is pleased with me. Religion is for me now. Still it is all a bit confusing ; I don't really pray at all now and is more when I feel like it yet I don't feel like a proper Muslim. Not sure what I'm going to this this Ramadan either. Suppose what I'm trying to say is what is life? Is it just about doing as much good as you possibly can and chasing as much happiness as possible - and where does religion fall into that? Rambling a lot here but just not sure what to do.....

Hey :smile:
The first thing I'm going to say is u don't have to deal with this by urself. Speak to family members, other Muslims, ask them why they believe in Islam, tell them how u feel and in shaa Allah u will be guided :smile:
Secondly, there's no holes in hadith or ayats, just some parts which we don't understand. To gain a better understanding, do tafseer, understand the context of those ayats, why they were revealed, the importance of them.
It's good that u've started reading namaz again, but keep reading, there's a right time for everything.
Not getting into the course of ur choice/having to resit is a blessing in disguise. Allah only does what's best for us and u may not be able to see that now but u will in the future.

For me it seems like ur trying to find something to blame for all the reasons u feel down and less motivated and u've scapegoated religion.
Just remember that life is a test, what ur going thru may be the hardest thing u've ever been thru, but don't give up, push thru it and I promise u when u have passed this test u'll feel so much better for it :smile:
May Allah guide u
Reply 6
Im 100% sure it was the religion, Ik what was happening in my mind after I came back from Umrah. I'm not blaming or scapegoating it, I think it's a beautiful religion and in some ways made me a better person, I'm just saying academically it was causing problems.

As for duas, I'm asking Allah to guide me, give me a sign to show me Islam is the path - I haven't received anything as of yet.
Reply 7
Original post by Noiros

Salam, I had gone through a similar experience in the past when I was in year 9. For me, watching YouTubers like Mohammed Hijab, TalkIslam and Shaykh Hamza Yusuf really convinced me intellectually of Islam. There does come a point in life where you don't just accept it anymore, especially growing up in the West, and if you are not convinced then you most likely will eventually drop it. Mohammed Hijab, Subboor Ahmed, Imran Hussein and Hamza Tzortzis showed me why atheism/scientism was flawed, why there had to be one God, and why the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him was genuinely the final Messenger sent by this Creator God to mankind. Hijab and Sh Yusuf also awakened my eyes to our rich scholarly and cultural history, of the great Muslim scientists, philosophers, theologians and jurists of the past. These things all helped me to feel a connection to the authenticity of the Qur'an. I'm in Year 13 now and my belief in the authenticity of Islam is so genuine, alhamdulillah (all praise belongs to Allah). In the last year over lockdown, starting to seek knowledge properly has helped me too, and learning the translations of the salah (prayer), reading the Qur'an in English, and learning about the preservation of the Qur'an and Hadith has really helped me to see the divine hand in this religion. Feel free to ask me to expand on any of this as it's a brief summary, I'd be interested to hear what kind of things broke down your faith as I feel as though I've dealt with any major doubts I've had over the last few years.
Reply 8
Original post by Subhix
Salam, I had gone through a similar experience in the past when I was in year 9. For me, watching YouTubers like Mohammed Hijab, TalkIslam and Shaykh Hamza Yusuf really convinced me intellectually of Islam. There does come a point in life where you don't just accept it anymore, especially growing up in the West, and if you are not convinced then you most likely will eventually drop it. Mohammed Hijab, Subboor Ahmed, Imran Hussein and Hamza Tzortzis showed me why atheism/scientism was flawed, why there had to be one God, and why the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him was genuinely the final Messenger sent by this Creator God to mankind. Hijab and Sh Yusuf also awakened my eyes to our rich scholarly and cultural history, of the great Muslim scientists, philosophers, theologians and jurists of the past. These things all helped me to feel a connection to the authenticity of the Qur'an. I'm in Year 13 now and my belief in the authenticity of Islam is so genuine, alhamdulillah (all praise belongs to Allah). In the last year over lockdown, starting to seek knowledge properly has helped me too, and learning the translations of the salah (prayer), reading the Qur'an in English, and learning about the preservation of the Qur'an and Hadith has really helped me to see the divine hand in this religion. Feel free to ask me to expand on any of this as it's a brief summary, I'd be interested to hear what kind of things broke down your faith as I feel as though I've dealt with any major doubts I've had over the last few years.

Thanks, it was mainly a combination of the following:
1. Certain hadith in sahih bukhari which didn't seem to befit the character of the Prophet
2. Certain verses in the Quran that made it seem man-made (judaeo-christian folklore rehashed)
3. Preservation of the Quran
Original post by Noiros
Im 100% sure it was the religion, Ik what was happening in my mind after I came back from Umrah. I'm not blaming or scapegoating it, I think it's a beautiful religion and in some ways made me a better person, I'm just saying academically it was causing problems.

As for duas, I'm asking Allah to guide me, give me a sign to show me Islam is the path - I haven't received anything as of yet.

811985f3363d5d2e3371033940ec8e51.jpg
U need to trust in Allah, He is the best of planners :smile:
Don't give up yet, immerse urself in religion, understand the lives of the prophet peace be upon him and the sahaba
U can PM me if u want to talk further :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7xoASkTMfU
This video’s a bit long but will answer your questions a 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYYcUFFqu0
This is just to make you realised how you’ve been blessed. Maybe not in the ways that you wanted to be blessed but nevertheless you are blessed. Always look at people beneath you and never above you. We should be thankful that Allah gave you the capability to go to school. 1000’s of kids don’t go to school. You’ve been blessed. 1000’s of kids are orphans and don’t have parents. You’ve been blessed. 1000’s of kids are homeless. You’ve been blessed. Sometimes we focus on certain things so much that we don’t realise the bigger picture. Just as an example, as you say you felt like Allah was punishing you in certain ways, if Allah really wanted to punish you he could’ve just said “Kun” and you would’ve seized to exist. But he cares about you. In Arabic when the number 70 is used it refers to a huge number/ a number that can’t be counted because it’s so large. Allah loves you 70 times more than your own mother. You think your mum would want to see you shudder. Of course not so think about these things. I really hope you watch the videos.
Original post by CynicalHair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7xoASkTMfU
This video’s a bit long but will answer your questions a 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYYcUFFqu0
This is just to make you realised how you’ve been blessed. Maybe not in the ways that you wanted to be blessed but nevertheless you are blessed. Always look at people beneath you and never above you. We should be thankful that Allah gave you the capability to go to school. 1000’s of kids don’t go to school. You’ve been blessed. 1000’s of kids are orphans and don’t have parents. You’ve been blessed. 1000’s of kids are homeless. You’ve been blessed. Sometimes we focus on certain things so much that we don’t realise the bigger picture. Just as an example, as you say you felt like Allah was punishing you in certain ways, if Allah really wanted to punish you he could’ve just said “Kun” and you would’ve seized to exist. But he cares about you. In Arabic when the number 70 is used it refers to a huge number/ a number that can’t be counted because it’s so large. Allah loves you 70 times more than your own mother. You think your mum would want to see you shudder. Of course not so think about these things. I really hope you watch the videos.

PRSOM
Reply 12
Original post by Noiros
Thanks, it was mainly a combination of the following:
1. Certain hadith in sahih bukhari which didn't seem to befit the character of the Prophet
2. Certain verses in the Quran that made it seem man-made (judaeo-christian folklore rehashed)
3. Preservation of the Quran

Oh OK, I have come across some similar doubts in the past. Like I came across a guy few years claiming (a'oodubillah) that the Prophet was a necrophile, but I saw a video a few months ago refuting that claim by looking at the language used and the context of the hadith and then it just seemed silly. So for things like that, I guess it would depend on the particular hadith in question, but its always worth checking the meaning of the verse in its context with an Arabic-speaking imam or see if there's online stuff from them about those ahadith. Also checking the reliability of the hadith, obv vast majority of hadith in Sahih Bukhari are very reliable but there have been weakness / faults observed in some ahadith (ik you didnt mention this but also if you want to learn about the reliability of hadith then researching the lives of the muhaddithoon (scholars of hadith) and learning about the science of mustalah hadith is great). If it's a reliable hadith and the genuine meaning is still not what you like, then you have to decide how you'll assess it, against what moral philosophy will you assess it, and ensuring your method of comparison is not contradictory (e.g. using secular liberalism to compare). Or if there appears to be something contradictory that would objectively invalidate the Prophethood of Muhammad, then once again assess the methodology used to assess the hadith (e.g. saying that a supernatural event can't happen due to science). These general steps are what come to my mind and I would hope would work for most hadith that one may find problematic.

On your 2nd issue, you probs know this but our Nabi (Prophet) (SAWS) claimed to be the final Nabi, after Jesus, John, Moses, Abraham, Noah, Adam and all the rest. If God sent all these Prophets, including Muhammad (SAWS), and the Jews claim to follow Moses and the Christians claim to follow Jesus, then wouldn't Islam, i.e. the way of life transmitted to us by our Nabi (SAWS) from this Creator God, be coherent and built upon Judeo-Christian theology and beliefs (which originally came from the same Creator God)? Our perspective is that the previous Revelations were corrupted or lost so the Qur'an was eventually sent down by the same God who sent Jesus and He promised to preserve it. And the Qur'an also came with untold stories of these Prophets (i.e. not just taken from Judeo-Christian "folklore"). Given these, and taking into account the linguistic eloquence and miraculous nature of the Qur'an (in multiple aspects), it is very very hard for me to see how the book could just be a fraudulent rehash.

If this is helpful to your Iman (faith) in any way then Alhamdulillah (all praise belongs to Allaah (lit. the God)). And anything wrong I did or said is from me

EDIT: my post was reviewed and for some reason the section about preservation of Qur'an was cut out, if you want some links re. that then pm me
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Just coming back to this thread..it's been a difficult couple of years but I have found my faith again. Did oscillate a lot but would like to think I am a believer now. Thanks to everyone on here for their help and support. I think I just had an imbalance in my deen and my dunya and it was upsetting me a lot especially as a student as I just didn't feel motivated for so many years but I am fine now.
(edited 7 months ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending