The Student Room Group

Government Statistical Service (GSS) Summer Placement 2021

Hi! Anyone else waiting to hear back after interview from the GSS?

Scroll to see replies

I received an email about a month ago saying that I had been successful at interview but they made it clear that it wasn't yet an offer of employment and "only the highest scoring candidates will be selected". They said that they hope to be in touch at the beginning of April with an update but as of now, there has been no follow-up. I've heard that the civil service is notorious for long waiting times so I guess I'm stuck banging the refresh button for the foreseeable.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 2
Original post by icanget_LOUD_too
I received an email about a month ago saying that I had been successful at interview but they made it clear that it wasn't yet an offer of employment and "only the highest scoring candidates will be selected". They said that they hope to be in touch at the beginning of April with an update but as of now, there has been no follow-up. I've heard that the civil service is notorious for long waiting times so I guess I'm stuck banging the refresh button for the foreseeable.

I'm in the same boat. Hoping that we'll hear back next week.
Reply 3
Original post by icanget_LOUD_too

Can I ask how did you score?
Original post by Qmwnebrv
Can I ask how did you score?

I scored all fours which I don't think is a high score at all so I'd be surprised if I made it in though it would be really mean of them to get my hopes up with a "successful interview" email. I just want them to hurry up with any kind of response - the not-knowing is excruciating!
Hi! Anyone else waiting to hear back after interview from the GSS?

I am!! I’ve been going mad waiting since the most recent email, I’ll be pretty sad if I get rejected at this point. Scored 6/6/6/4 on the interview and I’ve not got any idea if that’s good or bad 😭
Reply 6
Original post by soupdragon15
I am!! I’ve been going mad waiting since the most recent email, I’ll be pretty sad if I get rejected at this point. Scored 6/6/6/4 on the interview and I’ve not got any idea if that’s good or bad 😭

I got 4,4,5,6. I rly hope they get back to us today/ this week because I feel the same.
I got 4,4,5,6. I rly hope they get back to us today/ this week because I feel the same.

Glad to hear I’m not the only one getting impatient! Every week I tell myself “I’m sure it’ll be this week....” Good luck to you guys, though! I’m hoping that even if they’re online we’ll have the chance to be a bit social with the other people on placements.
Reply 8
Another day no response :,(
Reply 9
I had a phone call this morning asking if I would consider being placed in London (wasn’t my top choice on the form). They said the department would still have to accept me but it looks like it’s getting closer to decisions. She said maybe end of this week or next! Also she said it could be virtual although it depends on how departments get back to the offices.
I had a phone call this morning asking if I would consider being placed in London (wasn’t my top choice on the form). They said the department would still have to accept me but it looks like it’s getting closer to decisions. She said maybe end of this week or next! Also she said it could be virtual although it depends on how departments get back to the offices.

Oh wow that's amazing, congrats!! So she didn't say you were in, though? Or did she make it sound like you would receive an offer? Since I scored as well as you I'm praying I hear something soon too!!

Either way thanks so much for the update!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Oh wow that's amazing, congrats!! So she didn't say you were in, though? Or did she make it sound like you would receive an offer? Since I scored as well as you I'm praying I hear something soon too!!

It wasn’t an offer but it seems like my details are being passed on to departments and they would have to accept me. Still won’t get my hopes up until I see an offer.
Reply 12

Ooh that's so interesting! That really feels like good news, will have to start answering calls from unknown numbers now!
Reply 13
Original post by Bgh1268
Ooh that's so interesting! That really feels like good news, will have to start answering calls from unknown numbers now!

Tbf it was a number from Newport and I knew that there are some government offices there so I picked up. Still haven’t heard back yet but they said tomorrow or next week ish.
Tbf it was a number from Newport and I knew that there are some government offices there so I picked up. Still haven’t heard back yet but they said tomorrow or next week ish.

Still no word on my end either! Hoping it's tomorrow but who's to say at this point 🤷🏼 what did you put as your top choices for locations? I put Bristol as mine but after the interview I heard the only department where they place people there is Ofsted so I wouldn't mind being somewhere else.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Bgh1268

Same, I really hope we all make it in!! What did you put for your top locations?
Reply 16
Same, I really hope we all make it in!! What did you put for your top locations?

Me too! I put London and Croydon. I got got 5, 6 on the technical skills and 4,5 on the behaviors which makes me hopeful as its v. similar to Qmwnebrv so I'm thinking its possible that they'll take me for London? Since maybe theres space? Trying not to get my hopes up too much.
Reply 17
Still no word on my end either! Hoping it's tomorrow but who's to say at this point 🤷🏼 what did you put as your top choices for locations? I put Bristol as mine but after the interview I heard the only department where they place people there is Ofsted so I wouldn't mind being somewhere else.

I put Birmingham as my top, then London. I wonder if they mainly place people in London.
Guys I just got an offer!! Any news for you guys?
Reply 19
Guys I just got an offer!! Any news for you guys?

Congratulations! Which department?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending