The Student Room Group

Could it be possible that the University accidentally accepted me?

I recently got accepted into the University of York, it is a conditional offer (they asked me to upload a few documents). They didn't even ask me to provide English proficiency proof. But what makes me suspicious is that I don't meet their entry requirement with my UG grades, but I still got accepted. I'm worried that after being admitted into the Uni, I will be told to leave in between the course or I will get in trouble for this. Can any of y'all give me your input?
Universities are flexible on their entry requirements so I wouldn't worry, they are not set in stone because other areas of your application are considered as well. I think if a university did accidentally accept someone they likely wouldn't admit to it because of the media coverage that the situation could attract, better for them to just honour the acceptance. It's likely to be that they accepted you from a strong application. Congratulations on your offer!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nebula123456
I'm worried that after being admitted into the Uni, I will be told to leave in between the course or I will get in trouble for this.

Neither is possible or even legal.
leave it
I recently got accepted into the University of York, it is a conditional offer (they asked me to upload a few documents). They didn't even ask me to provide English proficiency proof. But what makes me suspicious is that I don't meet their entry requirement with my UG grades, but I still got accepted. I'm worried that after being admitted into the Uni, I will be told to leave in between the course or I will get in trouble for this. Can any of y'all give me your input?

During my Masters I discovered plenty of people who didn't meet the UG requirements for applying for the course. Usually for these courses, in order to fill up places (which they want to do, as it means more money for the university from tuition fees) they may choose to accept people who don't meet advertised requirements, depending on who else has applied.

So personally I wouldn't worry about it. Also I don't see how they could get you in trouble for failing to do any checks like this themselves. If you are really concerned maybe contact them and ask for clarification.

Hi @nebula123456
Congratulations on your offer!
If you'd like to get in touch with the university and check on your application you can email [email protected], I'm sure it could put your mind at rest a little.
Thanks and if you have any more questions just let me know.
Bea
Graduate Ambassador
Original post by University of York
Hi @nebula123456
Congratulations on your offer!
If you'd like to get in touch with the university and check on your application you can email [email protected], I'm sure it could put your mind at rest a little.
Thanks and if you have any more questions just let me know.
Bea
Graduate Ambassador

I already have, awaiting a response at the moment. But I would like to ask if there is any chance of accidental acceptance, I mean to ask that do applications go through different rounds to avoid error?
I already have, awaiting a response at the moment. But I would like to ask if there is any chance of accidental acceptance, I mean to ask that do applications go through different rounds to avoid error?

Hi again,
so I've just rang PG Admissions (you can too on 01904 324000, then press 2 to get to PG admissions). I'd just need your name, email and student reference number if you'd like me to chase this for you (you can DM us on here with this) or you could call yourself.
Their answer so far was that it is unlikely that we would have made an offer by mistake. With COVID we did make near-miss offers but without seeing your application I can't be sure if that's the case. As the offer is conditional you would still need to supply us with documents when we do ask for them but we wouldn't normally have made the offer if we weren't happy with your grades. I can confirm this process is checked by multiple people so the likelihood of this being a mistake is very low but I'd recommend you to call them if you're still worried.
Let me know if I can help with anything else,
Bea
Graduate Ambassador
hi
Original post by Fred Ojilong
hi

hi?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending