The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why were you there? How are you doing now?
Reply 2
How was it doing your GCSEs in a different place than the other students? And the results you got, would they have been different in any way if you say them in school under exam conditions?
Reply 3
Original post by Amin7
How was it doing your GCSEs in a different place than the other students? And the results you got, would they have been different in any way if you say them in school under exam conditions?

We took them in exam conditions with an official invigilator, in an empty room on the ward, so apart from there only being 4 of us sitting the exam, it was pretty much the same as it would be in any school. Although of course very weird lol :pirate3:

Original post by black tea
Why were you there? How are you doing now?

I was there because I had Anorexia, and thankfully pretty much fully recovered now thanks :colondollar:
Reply 4
Did you have to change exam boards or was the on-site school able to cater to all the different boards each of you had been learning at school? Glad to hear you're doing better now :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Interea
Did you have to change exam boards or was the on-site school able to cater to all the different boards each of you had been learning at school? Glad to hear you're doing better now :h:

A couple of people had to change exam board for GCSEs if I remember correctly, we only did Maths & English though anyway. Some of us also did a Level 2 Science certificate (Science GCSE without the exam, basically, and was just course work based).

And in the remaining on-site school hours we actually all did A Level psychology (none of us sat the exam lol, just learned random bits of content). Even the 12, 13, 14 year old patients were learning A Level psychology :crown: We all voted on a subject to learn and that was that haha

But there were 2 or 3 patients who did their proper A Levels and they kept their original exam boards and subjects, and just took their exam alone in a room with an invigilator :crossedf:
Original post by Anonymous
thankfully pretty much fully recovered now thanks :colondollar:

Good to hear :smile:

Are you at uni now? If so, what do you study?
Reply 7
Good to hear :smile:

Are you at uni now? If so, what do you study?

When I was discharged I attempted to just do just one A Level (Maths) at my original school, but sadly relapsed pretty quickly and was hospitalised again, but this time in an Adult ward because I was 18. Missed so much school from 14 - 16 so really wasn't able to do much academically lol

But now I'm well, I'm doing an Access course in Humanities (kind of equivalent to two or three A Levels), and will hopefully be studying Politics at uni once finished :colondollar: Needing lots of support though and pretty much re-did GCSE English in terms on content and did one of those foundation courses to make sure I filled in all the missing gaps from secondary school lol :smile:

When I was discharged I attempted to just do just one A Level (Maths) at my original school, but sadly relapsed pretty quickly and was hospitalised again, but this time in an Adult ward because I was 18. Missed so much school from 14 - 16 so really wasn't able to do much academically lol

But now I'm well, I'm doing an Access course in Humanities (kind of equivalent to two or three A Levels), and will hopefully be studying Politics at uni once finished :colondollar: Needing lots of support though and pretty much re-did GCSE English in terms on content and did one of those foundation courses to make sure I filled in all the missing gaps from secondary school lol :smile:

Best of luck with your course and hope you manage to achieve your goal of studying politics :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Best of luck with your course and hope you manage to achieve your goal of tufting politics :smile:

Thanks so much! :h:
Reply 10
I have no question, just hope you are doing well and remember you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it!
Original post by Tw1x
I have no question, just hope you are doing well and remember you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it!

Thanks so much, and that's very true :h:
Reply 12
Thanks so much, and that's very true :h:

I have a friend of a friend who has been battling cancer since, I think, about 14? She went into remission a year ago, and she just got accepted to study medicine. So lovely to hear these success stories!
Original post by Tw1x
I have a friend of a friend who has been battling cancer since, I think, about 14? She went into remission a year ago, and she just got accepted to study medicine. So lovely to hear these success stories!

Wowww that's amazing. Actually, 2 people on the ward I was in went to Oxbridge, so it really does show if you're passionate and work hard regardless of things you can't control good things are bound to happen :biggrin:

And she will make an amazing doctor and understand patients a lot more hopefully, silver lining and all :smile:
I don't have any questions either but just wanted to say good luck with everything :smile:. You seem so strong x
lol this is kinda off topic from everyone else's questions but was the ward fun? one of my classmates has been there and always says it was fun lmao
(Dont answer if u dont wannt)
lol this is kinda off topic from everyone else's questions but was the ward fun? one of my classmates has been there and always says it was fun lmao
(Dont answer if u dont wannt)

Hahaha yeah it was fun a lot of the time. Of course is was really awful and quite traumatic at times, but it's basically a ward of 15 young people so we had a laugh most of the time, watched films and played video games, pranked nurses and staff etc so I do have a lot of really good memories from there! :P

Original post by Qxi.xli
I don't have any questions either but just wanted to say good luck with everything :smile:. You seem so strong x

Thanku so much :blushing:
Were there many boys on the ward with you?
Was it specifically an ED unit or were there people with other problems there too?
Were there many boys on the ward with you?
Was it specifically an ED unit or were there people with other problems there too?

It was an ED unit but with an adjoining general unit, so we shared the on-site school, activities, and some group therapies with the general psychiatric ward but spent most of the time just with the ED patients :smile:

There were 15 available beds, but only 12 were ever used. The 3 extra were for emergency only, so people would use them for a few days (we never saw them, it was a separate bit) Or you spend a few days there to get physically stronger before you join the main ward when you first arrive.

Whilst I was there, the most boys at one time was only 2 (so 10 girls + 2 boys) but the 2nd boy arrived a few weeks before I left, so for the most part it was only the 1 boy lol. On the general ward next door, it seemed to be 60-70% girls.
Weirdly, on the adult unit I was on, it was 14 beds and whilst I was there, there was also 2 boys lol so maybe that's the statistics of male EDs idk :smile:

On the young peoples ED ward, I guess because we're all young it didn't seem like 'boys' were there, we all just seemed the same if that makes sense. But on the adult ward they was very clearly men. There was a male + female private area, but we always were together in the shared rooms and was no issue, everyone got on well :smile: Of course showers/bathrooms were separate though haha
Hi :flower:

In 2017, I spent 7 months in a psychiatric ward in London. :flute: I was there during exam season and the psychiatric ward had a small on-site school with tutors, and a few of us (patients) took our GCSEs on site.

If you're interested, ask me anything! :yay:

Why were you there?

Latest

Trending

Trending