The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelsea.uri
Why were you there?

for Anorexia :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
for Anorexia :smile:

But that doesn’t mean you’re a psycho though... why were you anorexic?

Oof that's a heavy question (also they didn't say anything about being a psychopath??? Just that they were on a psychiatric ward, which is for all mental illnesses, of which anorexia is one :smile:)

Hahah of course I'm not a psycho :eek:

I don't think anyone with anorexia could give a clear and simple answer as to 'why'. It's usually a complex cluster of triggers that happen over a few years.

For me, though, it started at a vulnerable age (early teens), so not only is your body changing but also your environment (school, exams, etc) which is usually stressful for everyone. I've always been very anxious and prone to stress, so this mixed with some personal issues, eg parents divorcing amongst others, I think I looked at a way of coping with all the feelings and thoughts in my brain and restricting food and focusing on losing weight at the time seemed to 'help'. Some sort of distraction I guess that gets out of control. Of course this did not help at all, but the 'anorexic voice' is very strong once it has hold of you and makes you believe it's comforting, something you're good at, it almost gives you a feeling of superiority which sounds weird saying now I'm recovered.

The above is of course a very simple answer, a professional could probably explain better lol :biggrin: I also have a few close relatives with mental illness (one had anorexia as a teen, too), so arguably there might be some sort of biological cause that maybe makes you more vulnerable to such things :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hahah of course I'm not a psycho :eek:

I don't think anyone with anorexia could give a clear and simple answer as to 'why'. It's usually a complex cluster of triggers that happen over a few years.

For me, though, it started at a vulnerable age (early teens), so not only is your body changing but also your environment (school, exams, etc) which is usually stressful for everyone. I've always been very anxious and prone to stress, so this mixed with some personal issues, eg parents divorcing amongst others, I think I looked at a way of coping with all the feelings and thoughts in my brain and restricting food and focusing on losing weight at the time seemed to 'help'. Some sort of distraction I guess that gets out of control. Of course this did not help at all, but the 'anorexic voice' is very strong once it has hold of you and makes you believe it's comforting, something you're good at, it almost gives you a feeling of superiority which sounds weird saying now I'm recovered.

The above is of course a very simple answer, a professional could probably explain better lol :biggrin: I also have a few close relatives with mental illness (one had anorexia as a teen, too), so arguably there might be some sort of biological cause that maybe makes you more vulnerable to such things :smile:

Thanks for helping le to understand and sharing your experience with mental health and I’m glad you’re feeling better now ☺️💕
Original post by Interea
Oof that's a heavy question (also they didn't say anything about being a psychopath??? Just that they were on a psychiatric ward, which is for all mental illnesses, of which anorexia is one :smile:)

Ok... my bad. She’s explained so I understand now
were your exam results affected in any way?

Latest

Trending

Trending