The Student Room Group

What’s my liability of paying tuition fee after accepting an offer?

Can anyone help me out because I'm so lost about my tuition fee liability 😢

So I've accepted an unconditional offer from Edinburgh on April 4th, but currently I'm still in the process of securing a scholarship. My savings alone won't be able to cover tuition + living cost, so whether I'll be able to attend or not this Sept will depend on me successfully securing my country's government scholarship (which has yet to open its application for this year).

Now, the Terms&Conditions states that I have the "legal rights to cancel within 14 days" after accepting my offer (which means April 18th for me). I assume that this means cancellation within this period will be free of any charge/make you liable for a full refund of any payment made prior to cancelling. The thing is, my program doesn't require any advanced payment or deposit —all I've done so far was accept the offer.

So I was wondering if this means I can cancel my acceptance anytime before matriculation/registration without financial penalty because I don't have any contract binding me to pay the tuition fee yet?
You should be able to withdraw before you start without paying fees.
I dropped out in freshers week and nothing was ever paid to the uni (I did have a student loan tho)
Yes that was my understanding that I couldn’t enrol until I paid (doing a second degree so no student loans) but I wasn’t actually committed to paying until I started. But double check your contracts.

This is tuition fees, accommodation fees are probably different (I commuted)
Original post by verca
Can anyone help me out because I'm so lost about my tuition fee liability 😢

So I've accepted an unconditional offer from Edinburgh on April 4th, but currently I'm still in the process of securing a scholarship. My savings alone won't be able to cover tuition + living cost, so whether I'll be able to attend or not this Sept will depend on me successfully securing my country's government scholarship (which has yet to open its application for this year).

Now, the Terms&Conditions states that I have the "legal rights to cancel within 14 days" after accepting my offer (which means April 18th for me). I assume that this means cancellation within this period will be free of any charge/make you liable for a full refund of any payment made prior to cancelling. The thing is, my program doesn't require any advanced payment or deposit —all I've done so far was accept the offer.

So I was wondering if this means I can cancel my acceptance anytime before matriculation/registration without financial penalty because I don't have any contract binding me to pay the tuition fee yet?

You can defer or completely withdraw an offer before your course commences if you are not able to secure a scholarship. I am in the same predicament for my PhD programme. My university has also not opened one of its main government scholarship schemes for 2021-2022, and I am waiting on the decision on another scholarship as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending