The Student Room Group

Working at Boots UK Part-time

Hi, could someone give me their pros and cons of working at Boots?
Reply 1
I haven't worked at Boots, but I would have a read of the reviews from former employees there, to weigh up if it's right for you:

https://uk.indeed.com/cmp/Boots-Uk/reviews
https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk/apprenticeship-review/30544
https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/insiders-view-dont-blame-me-working-boots
Original post by annetteokeke
Hi, could someone give me their pros and cons of working at Boots?

@annetteokeke

Hi Annette,

I can't obviously speak for every boots store in UK but only in the one I work in at present ok.

I been with boots since I was 15.5 yrs old working mostly part-time throughout this time and to be honest I thoroughly enjoy working there as never had issues with any member of staff who worked there over the years. We work as team on special occasions when doing promotions but otherwise you get on with your daily work in the store, customers are generally good although you do get few who will argue with you which you deal with.
I worked on nearly every department in my store and I been currently working on pharmacy department as I'm qualified pharmacy advisor dispenser. If required I work on tills and shop floor assisting public with purchases which is really enjoyable to do.

I will say that every store works differently from others and also some staff think they can tell you to do this or that which unfortunately can't as only your department supervisor or store manager can do this.

For yourself to work there is going to be your own decision as you won't know how it like working at Boot's till you actually get a job because your local store maybe a brilliant one where everyone gets on with one another.
If you get a job there just go in and do your work you asked to do and if any issues then ask manager or member of staff to help you okay x
As said everyone will have different opinions on working at Boot's but remember this every workplace will have issues regardless.
Original post by Adz2042
I haven't worked at Boots, but I would have a read of the reviews from former employees there, to weigh up if it's right for you:

https://uk.indeed.com/cmp/Boots-Uk/reviews
https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk/apprenticeship-review/30544
https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/insiders-view-dont-blame-me-working-boots

Thank you!
Original post by Allyson2020
@annetteokeke

Hi Annette,

I can't obviously speak for every boots store in UK but only in the one I work in at present ok.

I been with boots since I was 15.5 yrs old working mostly part-time throughout this time and to be honest I thoroughly enjoy working there as never had issues with any member of staff who worked there over the years. We work as team on special occasions when doing promotions but otherwise you get on with your daily work in the store, customers are generally good although you do get few who will argue with you which you deal with.
I worked on nearly every department in my store and I been currently working on pharmacy department as I'm qualified pharmacy advisor dispenser. If required I work on tills and shop floor assisting public with purchases which is really enjoyable to do.

I will say that every store works differently from others and also some staff think they can tell you to do this or that which unfortunately can't as only your department supervisor or store manager can do this.

For yourself to work there is going to be your own decision as you won't know how it like working at Boot's till you actually get a job because your local store maybe a brilliant one where everyone gets on with one another.
If you get a job there just go in and do your work you asked to do and if any issues then ask manager or member of staff to help you okay x
As said everyone will have different opinions on working at Boot's but remember this every workplace will have issues regardless.

Thank you so much! I'm still currently waiting back to hear from them to see if I will have an interview. I would love working there part-time alongside sixth form and if I don't get the job then maybe in the future. Wish me luck! haha.
Original post by annetteokeke
Thank you so much! I'm still currently waiting back to hear from them to see if I will have an interview. I would love working there part-time alongside sixth form and if I don't get the job then maybe in the future. Wish me luck! haha.

Hi
You welcome hunni as I will just say good luck with the job application and interviews as well. Xx
Just don't give up as keep applying for different roles with boots and be aware of your age as you can't do certain things till you are 18 ok but otherwise you can do majority of tasks in there.

If you get rejected don't give up and also you can't apply for the same job reference number for 12 months but the application process will automatically tell you this anyway.

That's fine what you wanting to do with working part-time alongside your 6th form as I did similar at weekends and when I did my university degree I was able to work there still at weekends but there was times I was unable to do that I rearranged my shifts to work on my free days on any placement I did, I'm still doing same now with my shifts/rotas as a nurse.
You'll honestly love it okay xx

Keep me posted ok and best of luck to xx
Reply 6
Hi, i’m applying to work at boots part time and just finished the assessment - could anybody let me know the hours for someone working part time (the available hours i gave were weekends). how many hours will i have to work and how much do they pay per hour?
Original post by isk.
Hi, i’m applying to work at boots part time and just finished the assessment - could anybody let me know the hours for someone working part time (the available hours i gave were weekends). how many hours will i have to work and how much do they pay per hour?

Hi
When you applied for the position didn't you not have to tick the available hour's you can work each day....??

So you could be working anything from 4 hour's a day upto 8 hour's per day depending on the opening hours of the particular boots store at weekends as they vary from city to city.

As a customer advisor you should be paid approx between £9.50 - £10.50p per hour but this depends on where you are living as Londoner's get paid more than rest of the UK staff.

Hope this helps you and good luck with working with boots 🙂🙂
A pharmacy advisor dispenser with boots 🙂
Reply 8
Hi, thanks for replying l, bad news they rejected me. Although boots takes on customer advisors from age 15 i feel as though they rejected me because they prefer older workers. I definitely did well on the online assessment, so i can’t think of why they rejected me except for age, thinking of reapplying, any tips?
Original post by Littleemma98
Hi
When you applied for the position didn't you not have to tick the available hour's you can work each day....??

So you could be working anything from 4 hour's a day upto 8 hour's per day depending on the opening hours of the particular boots store at weekends as they vary from city to city.

As a customer advisor you should be paid approx between £9.50 - £10.50p per hour but this depends on where you are living as Londoner's get paid more than rest of the UK staff.

Hope this helps you and good luck with working with boots 🙂🙂
A pharmacy advisor dispenser with boots 🙂
Original post by isk.
Hi, thanks for replying l, bad news they rejected me. Although boots takes on customer advisors from age 15 i feel as though they rejected me because they prefer older workers. I definitely did well on the online assessment, so i can’t think of why they rejected me except for age, thinking of reapplying, any tips?

Hi sorry for late reply ok

Yes they do take people on from age 15 and they actually not rejected you because they prefer older people okay..... I was 15 when I started with boots and still there.

Most likely cause would be you not shown enough ( put enough effort) into your interview as this is the most important part of the process once you have got passed the online assessment.

I would strongly recommend that you just keep applying for a position with boots as you'll be successful as sometimes it can take a few attempts to get a job. I would say that don't apply for the same job reference number as you aren't allowed to do so for a year but if possible apply for various store's within your local area that you can get to. Tip not to apply for to many positions at the same time as if you are unsuccessful with one job you'll probably be unsuccessful with the rest - maybe apply for one or two every other week until you get offered one. Try another store first before applying for the same one previously.
Original post by Allyson2020
@annetteokeke

Hi Annette,

Hi I was thinking of applying as someone who is 15 but I have a kind off busy life how many hours do u work how is it spread ?
Original post by dianaemerald03
Hi I was thinking of applying as someone who is 15 but I have a kind off busy life how many hours do u work how is it spread ?

Hi Diane xx
Applying with boots at 15 is fine but I think you'll be best perhaps working at weekends unless you have a big boots store locally that's open until late night ( example can be 9pm or 10pm ) as this way you can probably work from say 5pm until closing time during the week after school.
You may restricted to only 16 Hours per week due to being at school still but you'll get the chance of working overtime during the school holidays. You will have to speak with your school about it if successful.

I work about 16 Hours per week mostly it's Saturday and Sunday ( this is my contractual Hours and day's) but due to working shift's as a nurse I sometimes work on my day's of in the week days.
When I started working with boots it was the old fashion way of applying for Jobs with going into the store and asking for a application form and hand it in on completion and get a interview and if successful you were offered the job there and then. Changed day's with online.

When you apply for a job with boots online ( use there own website and create a online profile first) then once you have completed this start looking for something within the boots stores within your local area, you'll have to complete the job application process and then you'll be given the opportunity to choose the hours and day's you want to work each week. After you have completed the application form for the job you apply for you'll get a chance to complete the online assessment ( only if you are successful with your application process) these are based on real-life situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending