The Student Room Group

equipment for field trips?

hi,

i’ll be studying environmental science in september and the course involves a lot of field work. i was wondering if anyone has any advice on what equipment/clothing is best to buy for the field work? i assume waterproof trousers, a coat and walking boots would be the main things needed?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ab33k
i’ll be studying environmental science in september and the course involves a lot of field work. i was wondering if anyone has any advice on what equipment/clothing is best to buy for the field work? i assume waterproof trousers, a coat and walking boots would be the main things needed?

If you're doing a course involving field work, I'd expect your university to provide you with a list of required items once your place is confirmed. For certain items you might be able to buy them through the department if they have a bulk purchasing arrangements.

For things like walking boots, don't forget to break them once you have them -- you wouldn't want to go on a field trip with brand-new boots you've not worn before!
Original post by ab33k
hi,

Hi @ab33k,

As martin said above your university most likely will give you a list of equipment that you will need for your trip. For example, whenever we have done field trips on my course we would have a lecture a few weeks before the trip outlining what equipment you will need to bring with you and the itinerary for the trip.

The main things I would advise would be some comfortable walking boots that you have worn in and will be able to fit some thick/cosy socks to keep your feet nice and warm and also make sure they don't become sore. A recommendation along with that would be some blister plasters and normal plasters which can come in handy for yourself and your friends after all the walking you will have done.

A fleece would be great to keep you nice and warm especially if you are doing trips in the UK and around the autumn, winters like we did where it can be rather cold. A good sturdy waterproof backpack would also be ideal, for our field trips we were requested to have I think a 20L and a 40L however this would likely be advised by your department so I would maybe hold off on this and see what sizing they would like you to have because it could be different.

Lastly, a good flask will come in great use for the UK trips I had that for many of my trips and it was really handy and stayed warm all day which was perfect for the colder days.

I hope this has helped, let me know if you have any more questions.

Have a wonderful time at university!

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Original post by ab33k
hi,

Hi,
I'm currently in my 2nd year at Lancaster studying physical geography. We tend to do a lot of fieldtrips in the Lake district, where it tends to be a bit wet, so id recommend a waterproof coat, waterproof trousers and some good comfortable walking boots. Depending on what type of field trip you go on you might need to extra kit, but don't worry you department should provide these like waterproof clipboards and wellies if your in rivers ect. so i wouldn't buy these. Personally id also recommend waterproof notebooks, there really good as you can write on them when there wet and they don't smudge, our department gave us one when we arrived but if not i think there pretty cheap on amazon.
If you've got any more questions feel free to ask!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by ab33k
hi,

Hi there,

I'm a 3rd year ecology and conservation student and I've been on a lot of fieldtrips during my degree! I'd say it depends on where you are going and whether it is residential or not, but yes as the other ambassadors have said, a good waterproof coat, comfortable walking boots and waterproof trousers are essential. Sometimes I wear quick drying trousers instead, since they are more versatile for all weather types, and always lots of layers which I can take off if it gets sunny. A good rucksack (that isn't too heavy) is also important and a water bottle of course.

I'd also recommend some gloves for when it gets cold, especially if you'll be taking notes, because there's nothing worse than numb fingers when trying to write! Also possibly a sun hat/sun cream for the warmer months.

Hope you enjoy your fieldwork!
Chloe (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending