The Student Room Group

Applying for PhDs with no research experience?

As an STEM undergrad I haven’t been very organised at all in the past few years with getting summer research experience/internships and so I don’t have any research experience at all and I’ve missed deadlines to apply for uni summer projects etc. But I have got good marks in my undergrad and I will be doing a masters at a top Russell group uni soon, so I am thinking about the possibility of doing a PhD in an area that interests me.

I’m wondering whether you guys think it’s actually pretty pointless in me applying for PhDs if I haven’t / will not have any undergrad/summer research project experience under my belt? And if so, are there any “credible” ways to circumvent this (like maybe doing my own independent summer project off my own back without a supervisor/university backing, or just reading lots of books and articles in the areas that interest me)?
Personally, my only research experience came from my undergrad and masters dissertations, I hadn't completed any summer internships or anything. But you will likely be at a disadvantage if you get an interview as you won't have any experiences to draw on. I'm surprised that as a STEM student you won't have had to do a research project at undergrad or masters level.

I would suggest trying to get some research experience, not only for your PhD application, but to see whether you actually want to do research or not. Working in research and doing a PhD can be very different to how people perceive it and taking on a PhD is a big commitment and not one to take lightly.
Your dissertation(s) would be the best option for demonstrating research experience. Also just contact lecturers who are doing research in an area of interest and ask if there is any opportunity to do research with them over this summer (albeit not necessarily funded). Your dissertation supervisor would be a good place to start. I do know that sometimes supervisors will arrange for a summer project after final year to continue with work from your dissertation that you did with them, which likely wouldn't get arranged until after deadlines for formally funded summer research opportunities. Likewise you may be able to do the same after your masters course.
Original post by medicphd
Personally, my only research experience came from my undergrad and masters dissertations, I hadn't completed any summer internships or anything. But you will likely be at a disadvantage if you get an interview as you won't have any experiences to draw on. I'm surprised that as a STEM student you won't have had to do a research project at undergrad or masters level.

I would suggest trying to get some research experience, not only for your PhD application, but to see whether you actually want to do research or not. Working in research and doing a PhD can be very different to how people perceive it and taking on a PhD is a big commitment and not one to take lightly.

Unfortunately I had the option to do an undergrad project this academic year as an optional module but I opted to do a theoretical module instead (without thinking it would have been a wise choice).

Of course there will be a summer project component in the masters I’m going to do, but that I will be starting the summer after making a PhD application. The only options I can think of would be to contact an academic personally to see if they could offer a project for me to do, or to just do a project off my own back with no supervision. I’m not sure if these would be credible alternatives though (especially the latter).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Your dissertation(s) would be the best option for demonstrating research experience. Also just contact lecturers who are doing research in an area of interest and ask if there is any opportunity to do research with them over this summer (albeit not necessarily funded). Your dissertation supervisor would be a good place to start. I do know that sometimes supervisors will arrange for a summer project after final year to continue with work from your dissertation that you did with them, which likely wouldn't get arranged until after deadlines for formally funded summer research opportunities. Likewise you may be able to do the same after your masters course.

Unfortunately there is no dissertation component to my undergrad, it was optional to do a project instead of theoretical modules but I chose theoretical modules. I was thinking the same about contacting academics directly and seeing if they had some work I could look into over the summer, maybe this is the next best thing.
Original post by Theoverrated
Unfortunately I had the option to do an undergrad project this academic year as an optional module but I opted to do a theoretical module instead (without thinking it would have been a wise choice).

Of course there will be a summer project component in the masters I’m going to do, but that I will be starting the summer after making a PhD application. The only options I can think of would be to contact an academic personally to see if they could offer a project for me to do, or to just do a project off my own back with no supervision. I’m not sure if these would be credible alternatives though (especially the latter).

If you research the PIs at your university and you find a few people who do work you're passionate about there's no harm in contacting them and asking if they'd allow you to get some experience in their group. If you show a passion for the subject and a hard-working attitude they might be happy for you to get some experience with them.

I don't know your field, but there's no way I could do independent research! Even if you somehow managed to do something independently it won't give you the experience of actually being in a research environment and interacting with academics in a research-focused way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending