The Student Room Group

NERC DTPs

Evening,

Has anyone else applied to a NERC DTP? I have applied to two. I've heard that some people are already being invited for interviews. Anyone on here heard about their application yet?

Good luck everyone!

Scroll to see replies

I applied for two NERC DTPs last year (INSPIRE and Panorama) but didn't hear from them until the end of the first week of February. I know each of the DTPs differ though.

Best of luck!
Reply 2
I haven't heard of anything yet :frown:( applied for the imperial one! Let me know if you have received an interview.
Original post by TheTakers
I applied for two NERC DTPs last year (INSPIRE and Panorama) but didn't hear from them until the end of the first week of February. I know each of the DTPs differ though.

Best of luck!

Thank you, that is good to know.
Original post by Tourmaline20
Evening,

Has anyone else applied to a NERC DTP? I have applied to two. I've heard that some people are already being invited for interviews. Anyone on here heard about their application yet?

Good luck everyone!

I applied to the London one and haven't heard anything yet
Original post by ndk123
I haven't heard of anything yet :frown:( applied for the imperial one! Let me know if you have received an interview.

I received an interview invitation from CENTA DTP last week, but haven't heard anything yet from GW4+. From what I've gathered, they tend to send out invitations between 1 and 2 weeks before the interview. My CENTA invite was 12 days before. Fingers crossed you hear soon. Was that the only one you applied to?
I applied to the London DTP and I'm still waiting for a response. None of my friends that applied for the London DTP have heard from them yet, though some of them got invited for interviews at other DTPs
Reply 7
I received an interview invitation from CENTA DTP last week, but haven't heard anything yet from GW4+. From what I've gathered, they tend to send out invitations between 1 and 2 weeks before the interview. My CENTA invite was 12 days before. Fingers crossed you hear soon. Was that the only one you applied to?

I've also applied for GW4+ and so far didn't get invitation for the interview.
Let me know if you hear from them.

Good luck!
I have been invited for an interview by the Panorama and Inspire DTPs so far. I too haven't heard back from the London DTP. Has anyone heard back from ARIES and ENVISION?
A friend of mine emailed the people at London Nerc DTP and they said they expect to send the first round of invites by the end of the next week, but it could take longer. At least they confirmed that they didn't send any yet.
Original post by Geoguy3099
A friend of mine emailed the people at London Nerc DTP and they said they expect to send the first round of invites by the end of the next week, but it could take longer. At least they confirmed that they didn't send any yet.

Thanks for the Update!
Original post by MirMar
I've also applied for GW4+ and so far didn't get invitation for the interview.
Let me know if you hear from them.

Good luck!

Have you heard anything yet? I've not had anything from GW4+ 😔
Original post by earthsci21
I have been invited for an interview by the Panorama and Inspire DTPs so far. I too haven't heard back from the London DTP. Has anyone heard back from ARIES and ENVISION?

Congratulations on two interviews. I saw on another forum that ENVISION were one of the first to send out interview invitations.
(edited 2 years ago)
I had my CENTA interview this week. I had to give a short presentation on previous research and had three questions about my presentation.

Then the rest of the interview comprised more typical questions. I was asked:
- how did I become interested in research?
- talk us through any difficulties you have had in a previous study
- any training needs?
- skills related to project?
- talk about a recent paper, including the outcome and any flaws
- predicted learning outcomes for PhD?
- how will I develop project further?
- career goals?

Hope that helps anyone for the future. The whole thing lasted about half an hour. The supervisors stressed to me that questions change every year, and vary across different DTPs, but I thought it might be useful to share.
I had my CENTA interview this week. I had to give a short presentation on previous research and had three questions about my presentation.

Then the rest of the interview comprised more typical questions. I was asked:
- how did I become interested in research?
- talk us through any difficulties you have had in a previous study
- any training needs?
- skills related to project?
- talk about a recent paper, including the outcome and any flaws
- predicted learning outcomes for PhD?
- how will I develop project further?
- career goals?

Hope that helps anyone for the future. The whole thing lasted about half an hour. The supervisors stressed to me that questions change every year, and vary across different DTPs, but I thought it might be useful to share.

PRSOM. Thank you so much. This is quite informative.
In case anyone wanted to know, IAPETUS and SCENARIO have already sent out interview invitations. Does anyone have any news on ARIES?
Reply 16
Have you heard anything yet? I've not had anything from GW4+ 😔

No, nothing yet :frown: I'm just slightly relieved it's the same with you, but I would expect them to send out the invitations in the next few days, by the end of this week the latest.
Hey guys, I just gave my SCENARIO DTP interview and thought of sharing the experience and the questions I was asked. The panel briefly introduced themselves and then asked me questions related to the following:
- background about me and my research
- why do I want to pursue a PhD
- why did I chose this specific project
- how would I contribute to the team
- what skills do I have that would help the project
- why chose the UK (I am an international student)
- examples of where I have been in a leadership role and instances of where I have worked in a team
- difficulties that I expect to encounter during a PhD and how would I go about solving them
- project related generic questions (fieldwork, GIS skills, etc.)
As Tourmaline20 pointed out, the questions do tend to differ a bit between each DTP. Nonetheless, most questions would be directed to highlighting you and your skills as a candidate.
Keeping a pen and paper handy could also help. In order to explain a concept I drew a diagram. That helped me engage with the panelists in an effective way and also helped me to collect myself and keep calm.

The SCENARIO offers would be sent out in early march is what I have been told.

I hope this helps. All the best to all of you!
Original post by MirMar
No, nothing yet :frown: I'm just slightly relieved it's the same with you, but I would expect them to send out the invitations in the next few days, by the end of this week the latest.

Must have checked my emails thousands of times this week, and still nothing. Not feeling hopeful anymore, gutted as that was my favourite one.
Reply 19
Haven't heard anything from the London or GW4 NERC programs, I’m assuming everyone else hasn’t too or?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending