The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

First Year Housing!!

Hi!! I'm starting law in Sussex this semester.I am an international student so saving money and getting the best bang for my buck is essential. I'm aiming for a shared option for the reasons above and currently I'm deciding between Brighthelm, Lewes Court and Norwich House.I would love love love to hear your opinions on each or anything I should be taking into consideration. I quite like the fact that Brighthelm and Norwich have a sink in the dorm room. It's been so hard to find photos and context of anything that isn't East Slope. Anything helps!Thank you!
Original post by kyky03
Hi!! I'm starting law in Sussex this semester.I am an international student so saving money and getting the best bang for my buck is essential. I'm aiming for a shared option for the reasons above and currently I'm deciding between Brighthelm, Lewes Court and Norwich House.I would love love love to hear your opinions on each or anything I should be taking into consideration. I quite like the fact that Brighthelm and Norwich have a sink in the dorm room. It's been so hard to find photos and context of anything that isn't East Slope. Anything helps!Thank you!

Hey @kyky03, thanks for your question and congratulations on the offer!

Unfortunately I haven't lived in any of those options myself, but some of my friends in 1st year lived in Brighthelm and they really enjoyed their time there. It's quite unique compared to the other options as unlike student halls, Brighthelm consists of more typical house-like living space which students may find more homely and easier to settle into. Although the rent here is more expensive than Lewes Court or Norwich House, it's worth factoring in that Brighthelm offers free laundry as each flat has its own washing machine and dryer, which the other two choices don't have. You would still ultimately save more money by living in Lewes Court / Norwich House, but having free laundry within your flat is really convenient and not something which any of the other accommodation choices on campus can offer, including the en-suite ones.

I realise I haven't been able to offer much insight into Lewes Court or Norwich House but I hope the above helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

- Isthiak (BA History with Profiency in Arabic, with a Professional Placement Year)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by kyky03

Hello, thank you for your question.

Myself, I have lived in Lewes Court this year; although in the en-suite accommodation. Overall, this is actually my favourite flat, out of the options I have selected in the past, including Northfield and the Kent House (not offered the next academic year). The rooms in Lewes Court are pretty spacious, there is plenty of storage space, good heating and fairly good sound-proofing. The bathroom, especially the shower is a bit on a small size, relative to Northfield, but I have not found this to be a major issue. On the other hand, in the Lewes court (non-ensuite), you will have a sink in your room and share two bathrooms with 5 other flat mates. This includes a shower and a bath; the latter which is not provided in other accommodation types and is also not included in the Lewes Court en-suites.

I would also recommend searching for and watching Youtube Room Tours of the different accommodation options at Sussex to get a better idea of what to expect. Here is a link for the non-ensuite Lewes Court Room Show: Lewes Court non-ensuite. Let me know if you have any further questions, or would like any more links for other accommodation options, etc.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending